Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe to use this set up?

Options
  • 12-11-2012 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if its safe to use 2 extension leads connected together?
    I've only 1 socket in my room, located about 1.5 metres from bedside and currently run a 4 plug extension lead to my bed with bedside lamp,electric blanket, phone charger and electric toothbrush charger all plugged in.

I've recently bought an Xbox and 32inch led tv for the room and wondering the safest way to hook them up to the only socket in the room. Would it be ok to remove say the toothbrush charger and plug another extension lead into the original one and run the tv and Xbox off it?

Any help appreciated .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

L5 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering if its safe to use 2 extension leads connected together?
    I've only 1 socket in my room, located about 1.5 metres from bedside and currently run a 4 plug extension lead to my bed with bedside lamp,electric blanket, phone charger and electric toothbrush charger all plugged in.

I've recently bought an Xbox and 32inch led tv for the room and wondering the safest way to hook them up to the only socket in the room. Would it be ok to remove say the toothbrush charger and plug another extension lead into the original one and run the tv and Xbox off it?

Any help appreciated .
    Add up all the maximum currents and as long as they come to less than say 13 Amps (or whatever the extention lead fuse is) it should be ok. I'd plug the Xbox and tv into the first one, but there's no particularly important reason for that, it's just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Would recommend getting a new socket in at the tv as to be safer and no trip hazard.
    The way you are saying would not be a great idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Would recommend getting a new socket in at the tv as to be safer and no trip hazard.
    The way you are saying would not be a great idea.

It's rented accommodation so unfortunately that's out. Ridiculous only having 1 socket in the room. House is only max 30 years old.
    Ill just have to give it a try I suppose, it's not like ill ever have every single device in use at once . Max would be tv Xbox phone charger and lamp all running . Tv is an led , I believe they use quite a lot less energy than an LCD tv which should help .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

L5 wrote: »
    It's rented accommodation so unfortunately that's out. Ridiculous only having 1 socket in the room. House is only max 30 years old.
    Ill just have to give it a try I suppose, it's not like ill ever have every single device in use at once . Max would be tv Xbox phone charger and lamp all running . Tv is an led , I believe they use quite a lot less energy than an LCD tv which should help .
    Bit crap alright if not running the whole house should be ok.
    Most houses are like that as keeps costs down. 1 socket each room and 1 light thats about as far as they go especially if for renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

If you can't add a socket then getting one of these, in my opinion would put my mind to rest:

PL0950106-40.jpg

Just plug both extension leads into it and away you go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement