Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nfl on bbc

• 12-11-2012 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭

hi lads,

how do you access the monday night nfl on the beeb?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Goose_Hyypia

I checked BBC NI and its not on the schedule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

It is on the red button

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

Its on the red button (uk freeview 301) at 01:25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

It is indeed, but you have to keep a close eye on when the replays happen. Since the BBC have cut the number of channels shown on the red button, I think it's only replayed on the Wednesday night now. Used to be able to catch the game over a couple of days before.

I believe it's also available on the iPlayer which you can get now via Sky. You need to connect the router to the Sky box with either a cable (FOC from Sky) or you can get a wireless console and connect that way. The wireless console costs E12.99.

I know, cos I've just ordered one!

Not sure if UPC offer this as yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

digzy wrote: »
    hi lads,

how do you access the monday night nfl on the beeb?

As others have said its on the red button. but note, you wont see an option to view until the programe is about to start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

When did the studio come about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭portumnadaz

Use this proxy program to watch british tv on your pc or laptop. It fools the website into thinking that you are from the UK. Might not be relevent but its a very handy program.

http://www.expatshield.com/

Heres another proxy program that works for any country. Handy if theres a NFL game on a free to air channel over there.

http://openvpn.net/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Use this proxy program to watch british tv on your pc or laptop. It fools the website into thinking that you are from the UK. Might not be relevent but its a very handy program.

http://www.expatshield.com/

You should be able to use that to watch mnf online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭Guffy

Lads if your goin through all the effort of proxy sites you not as well off to watch it on espn online? Way better production

• Advertisement

espn is pay per view

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭Guffy

espn is pay per view

yes but if you are going to all the effort of using proxys you can the same effort into finding a link for the game

espn is pay per view

No, it isn't. It's free with Sky Sports and has been for some time.

EDIT: I should also say we often watch it online. Dunno which site (I leave that to the husband), so no need for the proxy sites. But still good to know, just in case!! You could also hook up an HDMI cable and watch on a bigger screen.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

No, it isn't. It's free with Sky Sports and has been for some time.

EDIT: I should also say we often watch it online. Dunno which site (I leave that to the husband), so no need for the proxy sites. But still good to know, just in case!! You could also hook up an HDMI cable and watch on a bigger screen.

Yeah but the ESPN we get here doesn't have MNF, I presume he was talking about the US version of ESPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭The Showstopper

adrian522 wrote: »
    Yes! Great news, thought I was going to have to miss the Giants game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,819 ✭✭✭lertsnim

adrian522 wrote: »

It beggars belief why they didn't do this from the start of the season.

Apparently they are only commiting to this for this week

"In other news, we are pleased to confirm that, in recognition of the importance of the game, this week's Monday Night Football showdown between NFC East rivals New York Giants and Washington Redskins will be available on the BBC HD channel, as well on the Red Button service and the BBC Sport website. As usual, the game will also be available on the BBC iPlayer the next day. The show, which can be recorded via the HD channel, will be hosted by Darren Fletcher, with former Indianapolis Colts linebacker Rocky Boiman joining him in the studio."

Also if you want to record it you can, but they only have 3 hours scheduled and you can't record the following program as far as I know because there is nothing in the EPG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Why they weren't doing this to begin with makes you realise why the BBC is regularly engulfed in mismanagement scandals.

Syferus wrote: »
    Why they weren't doing this to begin with makes you realise why the BBC is regularly engulfed in mismanagement scandals.

Well, that's not quite true. I wrote to the BBC to complain about the fact MNF can't be taped, and we never know when the game will be repeated.

I can't find the mail ATM, but basically, the BBC were asked to step in to provide coverage at the last minute as ESPN had pulled out of showing the games in the UK. NFL want to (obviously) increase brand awareness in the UK and already have right to the Superbowl, so they agreed.

Agreement was made with the NFL to provide video coverage on the Red Button from another commercial broadcaster with graphics in order not to show commercial breaks which breaches the charter.

As most of you know, they've now expanded that coverage to include studio discussion, and now are showing the game on the BBC HD channel, so that it CAN be recorded (although there's only a 3 hour window, and you'll probably have to manually record it). This is only for next week AFAIK, but will be checking the schedules to see if this is repeated.

If you have the Sky OD, and an older style box, you can get the game on the iPlayer, which according to the BBC will have the game on within 15 minutes of it ending and will be on there for 7 days as usual.

If you have the Sky OD on the newer box, then the BBC/ITV players will be rolled out by the end of this month (!), and you'll be able to pick it up then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Jesus,

It's blatantly obvious ESPN are gearing up to pull out of the UK market. Obviously not going well for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭ProfanityURL

I've only recently been able to use this red button because we got a new tv. I don't think we have bbc HD, does this mean I just turn on bbc 1 at the time of the game and press the red button and it will bring me to the game?

No. You should get BBC HD on channel 143. If you can't, then you need to tune it in. See here.

There's also a thread here on Boards with the different frequencies you can tune in.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭ProfanityURL

No. You should get BBC HD on channel 143. If you can't, then you need to tune it in. See here.

There's also a thread here on Boards with the different frequencies you can tune in.

I'm working off saorview, but I'm near the border with Northern Ireland so I get the British channels, except I don't have bbc HD and ch 143 doesn't exist for me? Will I still be able to tune it using the instructions on that link?

I'm working off saorview, but I'm near the border with Northern Ireland so I get the British channels, except I don't have bbc HD and ch 143 doesn't exist for me? Will I still be able to tune it using the instructions on that link?

Ah - didn't realise you were near the border!! In that case - cool runnings!! Try the normal BBC channel, if not then tune in the Saorview.

Incidentally, why a Saorview and not a Freesat box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭OldRio

If you are near the border like myself, a cheap freeview box will get you BBC HD channel and 301 will get you red button coverage .

Advertisement