Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Looking at Students Twitter Accounts

• 12-11-2012 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I go to a Community School and today a student was asked by our Vice Principle to Delete his twitter because he was talking about students and Teachers on his Account. There is absolutely no reason a Teacher should be on a students Twitter account, it would not surprise me in the slightest if they were going through all our accounts. This same school that goes through peoples phones when they are confiscated...

I find it kind of funny and if a Teacher tells me to delete mine i'll laugh at them, it can't be allowed can it?

Anybody else hear about this happening anywhere else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

The draaaaaaaaaaaaaama,
    Jaysus future of the country right here :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Big Bottom

You shouldnt be using Twitter in school though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

OMG, like they totes can't do that :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Spiritual

I go to a Community School and today a student was asked by our Vice Principle to Delete his twitter because he was talking about students and Teachers on his Account. There is absolutely no reason a Teacher should be on a students Twitter account, it would not surprise me in the slightest if they were going through all our accounts. This same school that goes through peoples phones when they are confiscated...

I find it kind of funny and if a Teacher tells me to delete mine i'll laugh at them, it can't be allowed can it?

Do your homework.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭reginald

That'll teach em

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

When you defame them on Twitter, it's your god given right to absolute free speech. Conversely, when they look at it and object to it, it's the worst kind of fascism.

I presume there's some kind of bull**** CSPE module on "Having Your Cake and Eating It" these days?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Remember the days when in school you used to get educated?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

If a teacher ever demands your phone you have no obligation to give the phone to them. Under no circumstance give them your phone! Threatened me with suspension over it and rang my parents over it. Parents told them to cop I need it for work.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

If your twitter is public anyone with a computer can look at it, including teachers, employers etc. Nothing you can do about it other than make it private.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Dey b dissing ya peeps

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

Try to remember that people have ended up in Jail in the UK for saying dumb things on Twitter. With bullying very much in the headlines lately, students should have the cop on not to be talking about other students or teachers on Twitter or Facebook. People are under enough pressure these days without little gits spreading crap on the interweb about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

There is absolutely no reason a Teacher should be on a students Twitter account, it would not surprise me in the slightest if they were going through all our accounts.

Why not? Especially seeing as the whole concept of cyber bullying is being bigged up so much right now.

It's not like students don't try and track down teachers on Facebook etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

What??

If my old principle was going through my phone after it was confiscated.....I would have punched her in the ovaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Spiritual

I remember that the teachers would give you a swift kick up the arse and pass no apology.
    Retaliation was expected and then everyone just got back to learning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

They might not be able to get to to remove your account but depending on the Code of Behaviour they might be able to discipline you for what you write on it. I've seen many students suspended over what they have written about teachers and students on Twitter and Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

You have no right to post any comment, in a public arena, which may defame a teacher. You want to bitch about your teachers? Fine, just TALK to your friends about it. Just like the good old days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

And what did this student have to say about his fellow students and his teachers?

All positive I'm sure.

I can understand why you might not want teachers going through your phone contents (ever heard of locking it?) but don't see the issue with them looking at your tweets.

If i was to walk out on the street naked in front of everybody to see and people I don't want looking start looking,should i feel like the victim?

No,put some fooking clothes on.

now lets translate this

If i put my whole life up on public display on the internet for everybody to see,should i be offended when people i don't want looking at it,see it?

No,stop plastering your **** all over a public domain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

I don't think the school can make you close the account but they can take action if someone is spreading rumours about the school and teachers.
    It's not a good idea to be talking about people on twitter or any Internet forum for that matter.

I'm not preaching to you but a little bit of respect for teachers goes a long way, they are trying to do their job, students are not always cooperative either.

I'm sure there is a no phone policy in the school, if students are caught using the phone during the day then expect it to be confiscated.

This same school that goes through peoples phones when they are confiscated...

well that's their own faults for being too stupid to turn it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Children should not be allowed to post on twitter. They should be allowed to view and search tweets. At this age they have no real contribution to give.

If the kids do not have the intelligence to use an alias then the future is bleak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Children should not be allowed to post on twitter. They should be allowed to view and search tweets. At this age they have no real contribution to give.

You could say the same about 99.9% of tweeters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Fizman wrote: »
    What??

If my old principle was going through my phone after it was confiscated.....I would have punched her in the ovaries.
    Remove the sim card.

At this age they have no real contribution to give.

the ones who use twitter probably won't in the future either from what i've been exposed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Teachers are dead right to be checking twitter accounts with what was going on with cyber bullying the last year or so and if you have anything slandering a student or teacher you deserve the punishment.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Thats why you dont use your real name. Never yet have I used my real name on a social website nor any information that will compromise my identity.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

You have no right to write stuff about other people and put it on display for everyone. Either make it private or don't use it.

People get offended, you shouldn't put up things that offend other people on public places. Teachers are people too, if you didn't know and they're doing their jobs to make a living.

You can have your little bitchy moan about teachers to your friends in private all you want.

And whoever said you're not obliged to hand over your phone, cop on. All schools have rules, it will say mobile devices will be confiscated if used in classes, both students and parents sign these rules. If you don't like it, leave. You should've never joined the school.

Coming from another student

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Are you for real?

1) Publishing something publicly to the net and then complaining about someone looking at it - that's the whole point, it's public.

2) Do you know what's going on in the world, cyber bullying is getting huge amount of attention, of course schools are monitoring students web activity and taking steps to protect students and teachers. In fact even before the age of social media any decent school had an anti-bullying strategy, but bullying was a bit harder to detect then. Putting it in writing with your name beside it is the height of stupidity.

3) Lock your phone.

4) Grow up. In most cases your teachers are only doing their jobs. They are actual human beings with feelings so try to bear that in mind when you launch a personal cyber attack on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Remove the sim card.

What will that prevent, most kids have smartphones and BlackBerrys and send messages and im's without using the phone network

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Anyone with their profile open for the public to view has no argument, be it twitter, facebook or whatever. Young people need to understand that it doesn't stop when you're at school either, companies offering jobs 'screen' their potential employees. Guess what, the world is bigger than students and their social lives.. It's also a tool for anyone looking for information on you.

If your twitter is public anyone with a computer can look at it, including teachers, employers etc. Nothing you can do about it other than make it private.
    Boom.
    phoenix999 wrote: »
    Try to remember that people have ended up in Jail in the UK for saying dumb things on Twitter. With bullying very much in the headlines lately, students should have the cop on not to be talking about other students or teachers on Twitter or Facebook. People are under enough pressure these days without little gits spreading crap on the interweb about them.
    ^ This.
    pmcmahon wrote: »
    If i was to walk out on the street naked in front of everybody to see and people I don't want looking start looking,should i feel like the victim?

No,put some fooking clothes on.

now lets translate this

If i put my whole life up on public display on the internet for everybody to see,should i be offended when people i don't want looking at it,see it?

No,stop plastering your **** all over a public domain.

Annnnd.... Boom.

Advertisement