Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thefts from cars outside graveyards

• 12-11-2012 9:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

My mother and sister had their bags stolen from the car yesterday afternoon around 3pm while they were in visiting my grandmothers grave in Killeigh, Co. Offaly.

A man pulled up outside the graveyard behind their car, looked in at them and then proceeded to open the passenger door and put the bags under his jacket, hopped back into his own car and drove away again. This was all witnessed by someone who thought nothing of it and assumed it was a friend of my mothers(??!!) She didn't realize he had taken their bags, she just said he put something under his jacket but I don't know how she didn't think this was suspicious. The man is described as repectable looking, in his 50s and driving a silver car.

The guards in Tullamore said it matches the description of similar thefts from cars parked outside graveyards in surrounding areas but all they have to go on is a silver car. If anyone knows or saw anything that they think might help please contact Tullamore guarda station. I know their bags most likely won't be recovered but it might help prevent future crimes. He is obviously an opportunist, preying on vulnerable people.

Please keep an eye out for this scumbag. Having had my purse stolen from work last week, I'm getting pretty pissed off with scum like this thinking they can get away with stealing other peoples property. If you see anything or anyone suspicious, please take action. Take a reg plate, ring the guards, report it. Don't just do nothing! This lowlife and dirty thieving scum like him need to be stopped.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Make sure and email or tweet Will Faulkner with this info. He will defo read it out.

https://twitter.com/FaulknerWill or Will@midlandsradio.fm or studio@midlandsradio.fm

Let's get this guy caught or, better yet, lynched.

Edit: One thing though, were their doors not locked? If so, that's beyond naive and asking for trouble. And encouraging crime. Even the Guards will say that. See recent article re Cloghan graveyard and Garda response. My sister-in-law had her bag stolen from her car seat as she was in Mass in Tullamore. But her car was unlocked!! That is a really stupid thing to do. It encourages and rewards crime. Please at least leave crime to the dedicated, not the opportunist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Thanks, just emailed him there.

Yes, the car was unlocked. It is a quiet rural road and they are/were under the illusion that things like that don't happen in places like this to people like them!

Look, I'm ridiculously wary...always lock the house door the minute I get in, always have my car doors locked when I go to pay for petrol and even when I'm driving, never leave windows open, never leave things unattended so I know where you're coming from, people need to be more responsible.

However, that does not give someone the right to steal other peoples property. I'm normally the first to be cynical when I hear things like this and I think "why the hell wasn't the car locked?!" but my parents see the best in people and just aren't clued in to how low some people will stoop. Yes, they were a bit naive but they've had to learn the hard way and if you saw how upset they were over it, you'd have a hard time having a go at them (I did anyway!)

Like I said, if nothing else, it might make other people aware and prevent further crimes like this. Don't give opportunists the opportunity!

BTW what article? do you have a link? I live in Galway so not very up-to-date on local news thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Thanks. And not meaning to have a go. I hope I didn't offend you.

My fiancé is forever leaving her car unlocked in her yard, her back door unlocked etc etc. It REALLY gets me p*ssed off !! I'm a survivalist security-conscious freak.

Sorry, can't find that article online but I'm sure it was a Tribune or an Offaly Independent less than 6 wks ago. Looking at Google Ireland searches, its terrifying. With the crowd stopped that were hitting up old folk in Mountmellick for money under false pretences, maybe they have moved on to other targets. Although they were in their late teens, early twenties. But there was a spate of that happening from south-east Laois up to Emo in 2010 and 2011 and it ended up being a traveller gang; who were caught by OPW staff and thankfully prosecuted (no need for any goody-2shoes reading to get worked up. It was travellers. QED.). But its widespread. Windy Gap, slieve Blooms etc etc. Its why I carry weapons of various sorts when alone in the outdoors. No Garda in Ireland would have a problem with that.

Advertisement