Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you get fed up of wearing a uniform and having to wear it properly?

• 12-11-2012 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I get the whole thing of uniforms and how they are supposed to instil a sense of identity and also remove the hassle of having to decide what to wear every day.

But...., does anybody else get fed up of wearing the same thing 5 days a week, in my case from getting dressed to going to bed.

And whatsmore, does anybody else get fed up of being told to do their tie up? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭orriray59

Meh, I don't care all that much.

They're kinda uncomfortable, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

I tried to wear my hoodie instead of my jumper for awhile but one teacher in particular had a bitch fit over that so now I have to wear the full uniform.

They are uncomfortable, but I don't really care that much. It's just annoying when you see teachers with big warm coats on make a big deal over students wearing a hoodie, especially when it's freezing cold.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I get the whole thing of uniforms and how they are supposed to instil a sense of identity and also remove the hassle of having to decide what to wear every day.

But...., does anybody else get fed up of wearing the same thing 5 days a week, in my case from getting dressed to going to bed.

And whatsmore, does anybody else get fed up of being told to do their tie up? :rolleyes:
    Not realllyyy, I switch a lot. Like wear a jacket sometimes, just shirt and tie or jumper on sometimes so that keeps it different.
    The tie is the best part!!
    Though seniors don't have to wear ties in my school, our new jumpers are round neck. Juniors still have V necks and have to wear a tie but afaik only one teacher makes them do it haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

do ye have to wear a tie? we don't so s'all good. Don't mind it too much tbh, glad I don't have to go through the effort of finding something different to wear every morning for school :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Skinhead Kane

Good thing private schools don't have uniforms, gosh I hated it back when I was in regular school

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

I go to an all girls school and our teachers got so sick of telling all the girls to roll down their skirts ( they were supposed to be knee length, you can imagine how many girls actually wore them like this! ) That they replaced them recently with ankle length green tartan skirts, while i didn't mind or old skirt i hate the new one !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Indiego

I don't mind uniforms.. I wouldnt be able to deal with the stress of finding clothes to wear every day XD

my uniforms kinda ugly though, us girls have a white shirt, dark green jumper and a plaid skirt that I wear hiked up fairllyyy short... :o Lads wear the same but trousers and a tie :L
    We also have a navy blazer we can wear for special events or if its reallyyy cold, and a school jacket that is actually the warmest coat eveerrr :o
    My schools not toooo strict about stuff, like, i wear a fairly decent amount of makeup, and I have purple hair.. but theyre really strict about piercings, nailvarnish and hoodies and stuff like that :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Indiego wrote: »
    theyre really strict about piercings, nailvarnish and hoodies and stuff like that :L

NAIL VARNISH! What do you have to do for your nail varnish to be considered (for lack of a better word) unacceptable.........would they make you take it off.
    In my school some (only like 2 admittedly) of the staff go around with face wipes and make you take off your make up if they think you're wearing too much, do they do that with nail polish in your school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Indiego

HugsiePie wrote: »

NAIL VARNISH! What do you have to do for your nail varnish to be considered (for lack of a better word) unacceptable.........would they make you take it off.
    In my school some (only like 2 admittedly) of the staff go around with face wipes and make you take off your make up if they think you're wearing too much, do they do that with nail polish in your school?

Anything other than clear/French polish is 'unacceptable' -_-
    every classroom has a bottle of remover and cotton pads for if you get caught :(

every classroom has a bottle of remover and cotton pads for if you get caught :(

And I thought teachers going around with face wipes was going overboard! :eek:

• Advertisement

Girls :rolleyes:
    :)

White shirts are cool :eek:
    My whole uniform is navy and blue, that's kinda ugly :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3 roisinconnor

I really don't like mine, it's dark, dull and drab, however it definitely is not the worst. My uniform consists of a polo neck short, an itchy navy jumper, and a knee length tartan skirt. Surprisingly the thing I dislike/find uncomfortable the most is the polo neck shirt, it just seems to harbour......coldness :confused: I actually don't really care how I look in my uniform cause its just so unflattering. I never were makeup and I always tie my hair up when I'm in my uniform. WHOLE DIFFERENT STORY AT THE WEEKEND! ;)

I know that was a weird post, but I just had to get that out there :D

Oh, and we don't have to wear a tie in our school :P

I suppose I'm lucky that our isn't dull and drab, it's fairly mainstream navy blue with a white shirt.

In a funny way I actually don't mind the tie, it's just the enforced doneupness that drives me spare when I can't get away with it loose. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Don't mind wearing it at all really. It does bother me the fact that I can't wear a jacket that would keep me warm in a freezing school

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

And I thought teachers going around with face wipes was going overboard! :eek:

Last year our vice principle used literelly walk up to people(few inches away) and inspect their faces and nails to check was their make up/nail varnish. It was a bit nerving actually, you could just be walking to class and then bam..
    But yea she carries the polish remover and make up wipes around with her, although she hasnt been as bad this year. Maybe someone gave her a more satisfying task..

On topic, I dont really like the uniform. Like come on I dont know about anyone else, but I tend not to wear the same clothes in Summer as in Winter. I like to wear light t shirts in summer and cosy jumpers in Winter and everything in between according to our ever changing weather. We often get scolded for not wearing our jumper(despite high temps in a stuffy classroom) or sometimes the jumper is too warm and shirt too cold and you wish you had a middleground.
    Think there should be some lenience, like if you wear a cardigan or heavier/lighter jumper of similar colour it should be alright.

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    My whole uniform is navy and blue, that's kinda ugly :(

Bet it's better than green and blue tartan :p

deise_girl wrote: »
    Last year our vice principle used literelly walk up to people(few inches away) and inspect their faces and nails to check was their make up/nail varnish. It was a bit nerving actually, you could just be walking to class and then bam..
    But yea she carries the polish remover and make up wipes around with her, although she hasnt been as bad this year. Maybe someone gave her a more satisfying task..

Yeah..... like running a school ;) Have to admit the teachers in my school aren't as strict on the whole make up thing this year either. I kind of hate my school for being so strict on wearing things which isn't part of the uniform, like coats or scarves, and if you're wearing a top or vest under the uniform and if they can see it, they make you take it off.
    Does this happen in any other school?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

I actually like our uniform: royal blue jumper, light blue shirt, navy trousers/ royal blue skirt. Technically we're supposed to wear the skirts knee length but no one except the 1st years do.

Teachers aren't too strict on make up. Every Friday after lunch it's blatently obvious that everyone's slapped it on for going to town after school. The old principal was fairly serious about it though, anytime we were called for assembly there'd be a rush on with everyone racing to the bathroom to wash it off before they were caught.

You girls going to the MTV music awards or school?

You girls going to the MTV music awards?

Some day :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

You girls going to the MTV music awards
    All the other girls seem to think they are. I actually couldn't care less so I never wear make up to school. Its seriously not worth it.

• Advertisement

All the other girls seem to think they are. I actually couldn't care less so I never wear make up to school. Its seriously not worth it.

Neither do I :o

I love you too.

Neither do I :o
    I love you too.

Ahem :mad:

Ahem :mad:

Sorry, I'm was a bit tipsy haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭BrittneyC_xo

I honestly almost died reading that. :O

Our school isn't overly strict as far as uniform goes. I mean, girls are now given the option to wear either a skirt or trousers, and around 95% of the girls opt to wear trousers now. We do have school jackets with our crest on them, but they are optional and so a lot just wear something from adidas or hollister etc over their jumpers.

Honestly I didn't even know there was a rule about tying hair up in schools.. I've never heard of that, ever! I'm so used to using my hair straightener every morning, aha! (: As far as make-up goes, I've had a few female teachers make a comment once or twice but as more of a joke about getting 'dolled up' for school. We can easily get away with wearing mascara, eyeliner and foundation so long as it isn't a tacky orange and five shades darker than your normal skin tone. Also, I've never once heard of a girl being told to remove her nail varnish in the 6+ years I've been in my school! =/

Really, my school are only strict on people trying to wear white trainers instead of black shoes, and facial jewellery. We're allowed to wear rings, badges and ear-rings though. and in-case anyone is wondering.. I go to a school in Donegal. (:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 roisinconnor

Does anybody go to a school where having a loose tie isn't a heinous crime?

Does anybody go to a school where having a loose tie isn't a heinous crime?
    Yeah, only juniors have a tie in my school now and it's not really cumpolsary - only on picture day :).

They got rid of V neck jumpers for seniors this year, we have round necks now that goes all the way around the collar so no tie. The ties were better imho and I still wear it with my V neck from last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,706 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Student's Council members in my school get to wear hoodies with the school crest on them instead of jumpers, which also means you get away with wearing a tie because they can't tell if you wear one or not. I've a pair of those all black vans too which I find mad comfy, I can't stand leather shoes and hate wearing them to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,706 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

How are other schools on facial hair? Boys schools of course ;) I've a beard for the month of November and a few others have a bit of dodgy growth and it's allowed, but I know some schools send lads home to shave if they have any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Couple of lads tried to do it last year, sent home by the principal (part of the Movember thing). That principal retired in June and a new one came in this term. Every lad is trying it out but we're down to three as they can grow a beard successfully and nobody was sent home. BTW this is in a mixed-school.

Advertisement