Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resizing Ubuntu 12.10 Desktop Partition

Options
  • 12-11-2012 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭

I have installed Ubuntu 12 Desktop for research perposes, along side Windows 7. So far everything seems to working just fine.
    I have realised that the partiton I created for Unbuntu is a lot bigger than i need and would like to resize it.

What would I use for this? Is there anything in Ubuntu 12.10 htat enables me to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Done.

Gparted via LiveCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Nope, as posted above, I used GParted off the Ubuntu Live CD a resized that partition and moved. Then I logged into Windows and resized that partition with Easeus.
    Working fine so far.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I would have let gparted resize the Windows partition as well, it has never let me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Agreed, kill 2 birds with the one stone.

I have used Easeus for HDD recovery, is it similar to gparted or has any noticeable limitations?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Bit late now, but when I'm installing a linux partition I manually format it with an inode size of 128 bytes. This driver http://www.fs-driver.org/faq.html means you can then access it from windows. Linux can already read NTFS so both OS's can read each other's files.

You then add the option in grub to use previous choice by default and away you go.

If you suspend one OS and boot into the other then they'll, very sensibly, do a disk check when it's their turn again. Just means that boot will take longer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement