Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using my new visa debit card in the USA

Options
  • 12-11-2012 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am travelling to new York at the end of this month. Is there a maximum daily withdrawal limit when using my new BOI visa debit card?
    Thanks,
    Brian.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi Brian,

Thanks for getting in touch.

The daily withdrawal limits abroad are €500 at Chipped ATMs and €250 at Non-chipped ATMs. Certain countries with Non-chipped ATMs have a €100 limit. Some foreign banks may also have their own lower ATM withdrawal limits which will apply.

Wherever you see the Visa symbol displayed, you can also use your Visa Debit card abroad for Point of Sale transactions in shops, restaurants, hotels, etc.

We would also recommend contacting Banking365 before you leave, to have your travel dates noted on your account.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

On a similar situation here.
    I'm traveling abroad this Christmas. Anytime I've been away I'd use the old laser card on local banks' ATMs showing the Maestro or Cirrus logo, so I've never paid any fee for the transaction. Is the same with the new visa debit card (no Maestro, Cirrus logo on it)?
    Cheers,
    A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi Barna77,

Thanks for your query. The fees and charges for transactions on your Visa Debit card are the same as with your old Laser card. You can find out more about these charges on our website here.

If there's anything else we can help you with, please let us know.
    Thanks,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Hi Tara this isn't worth a new thread so would you mind explaining the classification of the different card types please?

Whats the difference between Cirrus/Visa Debit (ATM), Maestro/Visa Debit (Point of Sale) and Visa Debit Contactless (Point of Sale).

Thanks for your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi PhatPiggins,

Thanks for your query.

Cirrus is the name given to the ATM functionality of a debit/ATM card if the service is provided by MasterCard. Maestro is what MasterCard named their Point of Sale service. As Visa doesn't have separate names for the two services, they are just grouped together as Visa Debit.

Up until recently, while we were changing over from Laser cards (Maestro/Cirrus) and ATM (Cirrus) cards to Visa Debit, Bank of Ireland had both types of cards in circulation.

Cirrus/Visa Debit (ATM) would describe the ATM functionality of your Laser card, ATM card or Visa Debit card. This is when you use your card at an ATM machine to withdraw cash.

Maestro/Visa Debit (Point of Sale) would describe the Point of Sale functionality of the particular type of card that you hold. Point of Sale or POS, is the name used for when a customer uses their debit card to directly pay for a purchase or service in a shop, online or over the phone.

Visa Debit Contactless (Point of Sale) is a new service where you can complete transactions by simply holding your card against the card reader in a shop instead of putting your card into the reader and typing in your PIN. Not all Visa Debit cards come with this ability. You can view a short demo on how the Contactless function works here.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Thanks
    Pat

• Advertisement

Hi Pat,

Thank you for that, its very informative. Essentially I can potentially use my Visa Debit card for all three Cirrus/Maestro/Contactless ?

Would you be so kind as to explain the discrepancy in fees between Cirrus (3.75%) and Maestro/Contacless (1.75%)?

Thanks for your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi PhatPiggins,

You can use your Visa Debit card anywhere you see the Visa symbol. The Cirrus and Maestro symbols can be used with Laser cards. Bank of Ireland's Visa Debit cards with the contactless symbol have the contactless option in shops which support it. More information on the contactless option can be found here.

There are different fees for using your card at an atm or point of sale transaction.

I hope this clears it up for you and have a wonderful Christmas.
    Thanks
    Linda

Hi Linda,

Would you be so kind as to explain why it costs more to use the card at an ATM (the host bank also charge a seperate fee) then for a POS transaction?

Thanks for your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi PhatPiggins,

We do not have any information on why the decision was made to have different charges.

Thank you very much for taking the time to post.
    Linda

Hi PhatPiggins,

We do not have any information on why the decision was made to have different charges.

Thank you very much for taking the time to post.
    Linda

Hi Linda,

I'm sorry but thats not an acceptable reply. BoI sets the charges so there is obviously some reasoning to it. The alternative answer being 'lets take the opportunitiy to charge our custommers two different rates for a similar service'.

I'm hoping thats not the case. Looking forward to your reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Marti308

Hi All,
    Don't know about BOI Visa Debit card but I am in USA at the moment using new AIB Visa Debit card and have found that when making
    a purchase via point of sale unit in shops I have had to use the Credit card button in order to have the card accepted, Go figure.
    Marti308

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi PhatPiggins,

We're sorry to hear you are not satisfied our response. As per our Charter, we are here to provide information on Bank of Ireland products and services and to forward on feedback received here to the appropriate departments. As Linda previously mentioned, we do not have information on why there are two different charges for two different types of card transactions. We have forwarded on your comments and feedback to our Consumer Banking Team.

Thanks again for taking the time to post.
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭cw girl

I'm currently in the US and I am unable to withdraw money using my VISA debit card. I've tried both Bank of America and Chase ATMs. I receive an error message telling me to contact my bank which I have done via phone but they could not identify a problem. When attempting to complete the transaction I've selected both the checking and savings account option. Any other suggestions appreciated. Very frustrating!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi cw girl,

Thanks for posting.

If the representative you spoke with on the phone couldn’t see any issue with your card and it can’t be read correctly at ATM’s, there may be a fault with the card due to wear and tear.

If this is the case, please call Banking 365 on 00 353 1 4044000 to request a new card.

Please note that a card can only be posted to the home address on your account.

Thanks

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭cw girl

Thanks Billy, however the card works fine in stores (POS machines).  So I don't think that there is an issue reading the card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi cw girl,

There still might be an issue with the magnetic strip on the card.
    If it works at POS and not at ATM's, some of the strip may be unreadable.

I know you've tried it in two of the major banks ATM's over there and it hasn't worked.
    Can you try it at a different bank and see if the same error message appears?

Thanks

Billy

Advertisement