Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iOS6 wifi

• 12-11-2012 9:53pm

Lads,
    i havent seen many posts about wifi probems on iOS6, so just said i'd ask here are other folks having issues.
    I've an iPhone 4S (on O2) and the flippin thing will not keep a wi-fi connection.
    When i was on iOS5.1.1 everything was perfect, wifi wise, update to iOS6 and things are continually sh1t.
    Initially i thought 6.0.1 fixed the problem but that was short lived.

i've tried any/all suggested fixes i've come across online but no joy.
    I've a few other devices on wifi at home and all are grand, and seeing that 5.1.1 worked ok i'm ruling out the router.
    I've also tried the wifi in another location with the same results.
    i've come across a site or two on about ipv6 and apple authentication tokens not accepting devices on ipv4 networks but i cant see the logic in that tbh.

As i said, this is getting really annoying, and has for the moment at least,
    put me of buying anyone more apple stuff,
    namingly the new new iPad (which i was itching for), until this gets sorted.

Seeing as iOS6.1 beta was released earlier have any of ye guys got a chance to look at this from the wifi prespective.

Anyways, just needed to vent :confused:
    and thanks for your time :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭wush06

Try going into settings wifi and forget this network then straight away do a soft reset hold the two buttons till the apple logo pops up.
    Then connect to the wifi again worked for me.

thanks wush06,
    tried what you said , had wifi for a few mins then gone again.
    was then unable to rejoin network,
    then did airplane mode, wifi for about a min, then dropped again.
    i've tried lots of stuff, even restoring it but no jpy

thanks for the suggestion anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

forget the network and then add it manually, tap other and then enter the SSID and passkey and save it, sorted mine

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭StormGazer.11

I've got a 4s as well and since updating to ios6 the thing has given me nothing but a major headache when it comes to wifi and i've tried everything to rectify the problem. Mine is staying connected to wifi networks but not loading anything on them. It's extremely temperamental, and before anyone suggests it it's not the wifi networks, its definitely the damn iphone, actually more ios6 as I didn't have the problem until it came along. And like you OP I thought 6.0.1 fixed the issue but that idea was short lived. :( rant over :D

gull,, tried it, no joy, thanks anyway.

Stormgazer, i feel your pain.
    in a way i'm glad its happening you too..
    means i'm not going mad!
    (well,, i'm not glad tbh,, its sh1t)

but you're right,, its a grade A pain in the ass and its most definitely iOS6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

I have the same problems as stated above after updating to iOS 6.01 btw I have an iPhone 4. Very annoying to have wifi dropping all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Bichon Lover

I have a reverse problem.
    I originally used wifi at home and 3G when away. Now I do not need the microSim and switched to wifi only, removing the card which I intend to hand back at the end of the 1-month contract.
    This works BUT every time I turn on the iPad I get a message saying "SIM card not inserted". Nothing seems to get rid of it . The only thing I have not done is remove the software associated with the Sim card.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Is it like this for ALL wifi networks you log in to ? Home, work, friend's houses ? I used to have a problem with one network in a client's building but not others. It's not always the iPhone at fault, sometimes it is the router being used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭SEORG

Having the very same problem with my home network. Only since the update, on a 4S

hi piliger,
    checked it on a few different networks, all with different routers etc.
    same issues remain.
    on my own network, changed the ssid, the security from WPA2 -> WEP -> None ; band from 2.4GHZ to 5GHZ and back, different channels, all with the same result.
    i was kinda hoping it was the router, at least it would be a definite point of failure.
    Had a friend call around with his 4s , still on 5.1.1, and it worked perfect on the wifi.
    Soooo, really dont think its the router as the only thing that has changed in the 5 months i have the phone is the IOS6 update. everything was rosey before that. and the other stuff hanging off the router is working fine.

but you are right to double check the router, so thanks for the suggestion.
    just to put it out there, its a Linksys WAG320N, thats been going for the last 2 years, sans problem.

anyway, here's hoping that 6.1 will be better for us that have this issue

actually, i might poke around in my box of old junk to see if i can use different gear for the network.

• Advertisement

Piliger wrote: »
    Is it like this for ALL wifi networks you log in to ? Home, work, friend's houses ? I used to have a problem with one network in a client's building but not others. It's not always the iPhone at fault, sometimes it is thet router being used.

Thanks.
    I twill try this out once I get back home where I had no problems. The new wifi uses a new Technicolor router so,this could well be the cause.
    I am shuffling between the Republic and NI for medical treatment which is how I wound up within 2 wifi systems for my iPad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 daithi2000

Same issue with my 4S. Contacted Vodaphone, no real help. Contacted Apple. They gave me the following instructions.
    1. Backup the phone onto iTunes
    2. Restore to factory settings but without the Backup.
    3. Try connect to your Wifi.
    4. If this fails send my phone back to Apple for a replacement

Alot of the other blogs people are suggesting bad phones, but I only have this issue since moving to IOS6.

Hopefully resolved before I go completely mental.

thanks for that daithi.

i did a restore but did it from backup, so that might have been my mistake.
    will try without backup over next few days.
    funny that you got those instructions from apple as from the other boards/blogs i read up on,
    many said that apple didn't actually acknowledge the problem to begin with, so maybe now they are working on it .
    just out of curiosity did apple say to send the phone back to them directly or to go thru Vodafone?
    if things dont get fixed with 6.1 i'll be following your line of action i reckon.

let us know how you get on either way,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Changing my router security to WEP (from WPA2-PSK) worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Lewiblaze

Yea been having an issue also it wont connect to any networks for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 daithi2000

Hi Ed, Vodafone directed me to Apple. Let me know if you need the number. I got through to one of the French techs who was helping out the English speaking techs, so maybe he gave me too much information. The Apple guy told me to send the phone to them, but this is a company phone and I passed it to a Vodafone Account Manager. Have to say I instantly regretted doing that, as they mentioned "repair" "refurbish" nonsense, don't think they grasped what the issue was. Now I am stuck with a Black Berry. Advice I would give you is work your problem through Apple. Take Care D.

Piliger wrote: »
    Is it like this for ALL wifi networks you log in to ? Home, work, friend's houses ? I used to have a problem with one network in a client's building but not others. It's not always the iPhone at fault, sometimes it is the router being used.

I found a simple way around it. When microSim account was closed, 3 "killed" the card. I left it in the iPad and no more messages.

Thanks for your advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭try

Issue arose for me when updated IPad 2 to IOS 6. I have two other iPads, (2 &3) on 5.1.1 and no problem. Got na iPhone 5 on Monday with 6.0.1 and same issue. Have tried the 6.0.2 update and it's not fixed.

Apple products are supposed to work out of the box. Fluting around with the router security and how the device connects shouldn't be required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

was wondering why this was happening on my 4s after I upgraded..the weird thing is I run 2 routers in my house (cisco wag320n hardwired to my PC and NAS and bridged to a Cisco WAG120N in the phone room..)
    Upgraded to a iphone 5 during the week and noticed that same issue..however it's only when connected to the wag320n, connected to the 120n works perfectly. and both of them are configured the same way..must do some more investigation into it.

forgetting the network seems to have sorted it :)

Hi lads, just said I'd do a follow up on this.

So, as I said before, I tried pretty much every suggestion I could find on the web, changed all router settings etc etc etc. no good.
    When it became obvious 6.1 was a bit off I eventually got sh1t sick of this and rang apple. I didn't bother going thru O2, after what daithi said happened with Vodafone, just presumed it would be the same send for repair story.

So short version is, I now have a new iPhone 4S from apple.
    everything has been working fine for last week and a half.
    i still have the same router, the exact same config and its all working fine.
    Seeing as the original phone worked fine on ios5 and only caused issues after upgrading to ios6, from my experience, it was ios6 running on my particular model caused the issue.
    Maybe they use different wifi chips where firmware/drivers or something got messed up along the way, but the problem was 100% not an issue on my side.
    I've had 3 other people with iphone4s connect to my network during this time also. Two on ios6 and 1 on ios5 and none had issues staying in the wifi, which again pointed to my phone, might have been a bad batch but judging by the amount of threads on apples own forums it must've been one hell of a big batch.

Also, if anyone else is going down this route, when I initially rang apple , the guy tried to get me to buy some cover, apple care or a once off service fee. I politely told him the phone was only 5 months old, the problem was with the phone or the software and was therefore not my fault and that I should not be expected to pay to get this fixed as it was still cover by warranty. He put me on hold for a minute and came back saying he'd be able to grant me a "once off exception" that would cover the repair. So make sure you're not buying something you're covered for anyway.

Just to finish, apple recently released updates for iPhone5, ipad mini and new Macs that all dealt with wifi problems, so they seem to have messed up big time lately regarding wifi, I just know I won't be so fast to "upgrade" the next time

Thanks for listening and hopefully I haven't bored ye to tears with this 1st world problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

mine's back again..:( luckily I've two routers and one of them works perfectly but Apple would want to get the finger out and sort it out asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

I have problems playing streaming music over ATV3 after upgrading to iOS 6.
    Music keeps skipping on both iPhone 5 and iPad 3. No other changes to setup.

I've seen it posted but no fixes...
    Anyone else experience or fixed this?

Advertisement