Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You`re the bastard in the black....

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Unearthly wrote: »
    ANSWERS BELOW

6. From which of the following breaks in play can a player be ruled offside?

a. Directly from a throw-in
    b. Directly from a corner kick
    c. Directly from a goal kick
    d. None of the above

I can't believe I never knew that you can't be offside directly from a goal kick. :o Well, now I know. :)

I got 6 by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

9/12.

Got the offside flag one wrong, I never knew there were different types of offside!

Thought that if the player was sent off in the tunnel he couldn't be replaced.

Also got the choosing of ends wrong. Thought it was a coin toss. Pretty certain it was for a time, but must have been changed again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Benimar wrote: »
    Also got the choosing of ends wrong. Thought it was a coin toss. Pretty certain it was for a time, but must have been changed again.

Ya got that one wrong too. Was sure I was right on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

That caught me out too, but apparently it is true. It's at the ref's discretion which end he deems most suitable. One end could be cut up, flooded etc.

In the majority of top flight games there's no difference between the ends which is why you see the refs flip a coin to give 1 captain a choice.

Or so is my understanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

The ref chooses the end for penalties? I thought it was they had tossed a coin to decide which end and then who has the option of going first?

Edit: Didn't see the posts above me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

ANSWERS BELOW

9. It's an extremely windy day. A direct free kick is awarded to the defending team on the edge of their own six yard box following a foul by the attacker. The goalkeeper takes the direct free kick and the ball is blown back into his own goal, do you:

a. Award the goal
    b. Award a corner kick
    c. Retake the free kick
    d. Reverse the decision, giving the opposition team an attacking indirect free kick from the same place

11. You award a penalty in the second half of a match. The attacking player funs up to take the penalty kick - which of the following can the taker not do?

a. Pass the ball to a team mate
    b. Head the ball
    c. Shoot directly into the goal
    d. Play the ball off the post or crossbar for a team mate to score

Questions 9 is wrong.
    Q9. If the ball does not leave the penalty area, which it does not say it does, then the kick is retaken as the ball is not in play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

sneakyST wrote: »
    Questions 9 is wrong.
    Q9. If the ball does not leave the penalty area, which it does not say it does, then the kick is retaken as the ball is not in play

Incorrect. This only applies for a goal kick. A direct free kick does not have to leave the penalty area to be in play, unlike a goal kick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I got just 6 :(, which means I'll never get to ref a LOI game, I'm over qualified

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

Incorrect. This only applies for a goal kick. A direct free kick does not have to leave the penalty area to be in play, unlike a goal kick.

Law 13.
    The ball is inplay when it is kicked outside the penalty area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Am I being stupid or is c not also correct in Q1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Would have swore that q.9 was an OG not a corner :p

Coin toss was a tricky one too

Penalty one caught me out too! Got a bit confused, I know for certain you can't score a rebound off your own penalty hitting the post, but a teammate indeed can. Read it wrong! Had no idea you couldn't head it :D It's hardly providing an advantage! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Would have swore that q.9 was an OG not a corner :p

Coin toss was a tricky one too

Penalty one caught me out too! Got a bit confused, I know for certain you can't score a rebound off your own penalty hitting the post, but a teammate indeed can. Read it wrong! Had no idea you couldn't head it :D It's hardly providing an advantage! :pac:

Er....yes you can. Don't know who told you that.

Probably why you mod Racquet sports and not football :p

Got 10/12 myself. Ego took a bit of a bruising as I was positive I had gotten them all right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Kirby wrote: »

Got 10/12 myself. Ego took a bit of a bruising as I was positive I had gotten them all right.

I would hjave thought you can't touch a rebound until someone else has touched it first.

I got 9 in the quiz. Never knew you would be onside from a kick out and I don't understand the logic of the direct free. The ref choosing the end for penalties is bizarre. In knockout games it is a huge difference depending on which set of supporters are behind the goal. I wouldn't want to be making that decision at the Bombanera or any number of Eastern European grounds.

Actually, the only way the taker can score a rebound is if it touches another player first. If it comes straight off the post he can't touch the ball first or it's a free out. You can't touch the ball twice consecutively in a penalty situation

I think the joke is on you with that smart comment don't you think, yes??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Got 3!

• Advertisement

Am I being stupid or is c not also correct in Q1?

C is not correct. If the first shot had gone in directly, the second attacker was not 'active' as he wasn't in the line of sight of the goalkeeper. It is only when the ball was parried to him that he became 'active'.

Actually, the only way the taker can score a rebound is if it touches another player first. If it comes straight off the post he can't touch the ball first or it's a free out. You can't touch the ball twice consecutively in a penalty situation

I think the joke is on you with that smart comment don't you think, yes??

Mind quoting me that rule? I've seen plenty of players hit the woodwork and bang in the rebound both live and on tv.

If I'm wrong, I'll admit it but I'm going to want to see some rules here. I have a hard time believing each professional ref in each game getting that wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Mind quoting me that rule? I've seen plenty of players hit the woodwork and bang in the rebound both live and on tv.

If I'm wrong, I'll admit it but I'm going to want to see some rules here. I have a hard time believing each professional ref in each game getting that wrong.

Can't quote the rule from here, but I would agree with cgpg5 in that another player must touch the ball before the taker can take a 2nd touch. Perhaps the keeper palmed it on to the post in the circumstances that you have seen

From asktheref.com:

http://asktheref.com/Soccer%20Rules/Question/26533/

I'm sure cgpg5 will appreciate your apology.

oldyouth wrote: »
    Can't quote the rule from here, but I would agree with cgpg5 in that another player must touch the ball before the taker can take a 2nd touch. Perhaps the keeper palmed it on to the post in the circumstances that you have seen

That might be the case. But I've never, ever seen a goal disallowed for scoring directly from a rebound in all my years watching football. Perhaps he's right.

Either way, if somebody could link that rule from an official source, we would all know for sure.

• Advertisement

Deise Vu wrote: »
    From asktheref.com:

http://asktheref.com/Soccer%20Rules/Question/26533/

Cheers, had googled myself to make sure and there are plenty of links alright.

In simple a penalty is like a direct free kick and once the ball is kicked the same player cannot touch it again until another player touches the ball in any way. By hitting the post directly it still hasn't touched anyone.

As you say, I'm sure in those instances either the keeper palmed it onto the post!

Deise Vu wrote: »

Well it would appear I was wrong. However an apology is hardly warranted. The mod comment was said in jest. No need for him to get so prickly about it. A nerve was struck perhaps. :p

Well it would appear I was wrong. However an apology is hardly warranted. The mod comment was said in jest. No need for him to get so prickly about it. A nerve was struck perhaps. :p

I am not a ref but I reffed a game once and this actually happened!

Boy those ladies were hopping mad. I thought I was going to get lynched. :D:D

Hardly got prickly about it. You sounded so confident in your opinion you even managed to throw in a sly dig and after all you were wrong. Just thought it was funny is all, if your gonna give a dig just check your facts before looking a tw*t

Hardly got prickly about it. You sounded so confident in your opinion you even managed to throw in a sly dig and after all you were wrong. Just thought it was funny is all, if your gonna give a dig just check your facts before looking a tw*t

A here....sly dig? Learn to take a joke.

Gotten very serious round here lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

5 thought I had them all!

Sad

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

6/12

I'm disappointed in myself :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

A here....sly dig? Learn to take a joke.

Gotten very serious round here lately.

Oh indeed, but if you're gonna joke just do it right in future ;)

I don't see anyone getting serious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Surprised it's that low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

ANSWERS BELOW

9. It's an extremely windy day. A direct free kick is awarded to the defending team on the edge of their own six yard box following a foul by the attacker. The goalkeeper takes the direct free kick and the ball is blown back into his own goal, do you:

a. Award the goal
    b. Award a corner kick
    c. Retake the free kick
    d. Reverse the decision, giving the opposition team an attacking indirect free kick from the same place

Got 11...
    This the one i got wrong...
    So by this reckoning, if any direct free kick goes straight into your own net, it's a corner??? Baffling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭G1032

i did know (unrelated) if you threw the ball into youyr own goals from a throw in, it was a corner

i did know (unrelated) if you threw the ball into youyr own goals from a throw in, it was a corner

Not always, just ask Olof Mellberg and Peter Enckelman. :mad:

it is.

That was an Enckelman OG, apparently it touched his studs on way into the goal.

I rmember thinking should have been a corner at the time.

it is.

That was an Enckelman OG, apparently it touched his studs on way into the goal.

I rmember thinking should have been a corner at the time.

Apparently. How could the ref tell it touched his studs. I think he just said this after to cover up the fact that he didn't the rule before it happened. Or maybe as a Villa fan, I'm still just a bitter over losing 3-0 to Birmingham City. :o Even ten years on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Got 5 but considering I'm a woman that makes me something special right? I even got the offside rule ... just not so much the rest of them :o

The penalty coin toss I was sure I got right ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Got 6, I'm disappointed it doesn't tell you which ones you got wrong, although I can take an educated guess at a couple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,674 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

4 :eek:

Nailz wrote: »
    Got 6, I'm disappointed it doesn't tell you which ones you got wrong, although I can take an educated guess at a couple.
    Read the thread, Unearthly posted all the answers above which should tell you which ones you got wrong, assuming you know what answers you gave.

so ia this right. according ro Q11 you can pass the ball when awarded a peno???

cjmc wrote: »
    so ia this right. according ro Q11 you can pass the ball when awarded a peno???

It is indeed. Johan Cruyff did it for Ajax in 1982 and then Thierry Henry and Robert Pires tried (and failed miserably) to do it for Arsenal in 2005 against Man City.

It appeared Pires went to take the penalty and lay it off for Henry who was charging in but Pires either didn't touch the ball or Henry didn't think he did and the pair of them became a laughing stock for a while. :rolleyes:

Cruyff's one worked better. He basically did a one-two around the keeper and had a tap in to an empty net. :cool:

:rolleyes: or :cool: ... It's a fine line.

It is indeed. Johan Cruyff did it for Ajax in 1982 and then Thierry Henry and Robert Pires tried (and failed miserably) to do it for Arsenal in 2005 against Man City.

It appeared Pires went to take the penalty and lay it off for Henry who was charging in but Pires either didn't touch the ball or Henry didn't think he did and the pair of them became a laughing stock for a while. :rolleyes:

Cruyff's one worked better. He basically did a one-two around the keeper and had a tap in to an empty net. :cool:

:rolleyes: or :cool: ... It's a fine line.
    ah i remember now.

Advertisement