Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desperate to leave but nothing lined up

Options
  • 12-11-2012 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

In a bit of a pickle at the moment. I started my current job around 5 months ago and don't think I've enjoyed one day of it! The job isn't what I was lead to believe it would be in the interview when the owner grossly exaggerated how much their sales were, I was told that they would soon be hiring more people who I would managing, I was told that I'd be getting a bonus every week which I was later told would come if we hit a sales target that the company is yet to hit. I'm having various other issues, the work environment isn't nice, the manager is pretty difficult to work with and there is not support from him or anyone else.

It has gotten to a stage were every night a feeling of dread comes over me because I know what's coming the next day. I've never not enjoyed a job I've been and I've never been so unmotivated. Thing is, I don't feel like I have many options, I've been looking for work for the last month or so but haven't been able to see much and haven't got any interviews.

What do I do? I know I can't quit because I can't get the dole but I have a horrible feeling that I'll be still in this situation in 6 months time. The situation is becoming unbearable, not being happy for the majority of the week because of this job is getting my down at this stage.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I know how you feel in a job that you were promised a lot but the job has delivered very little, along with a bad manager and other staff that are not helpful.
    I know that you would love to go in tomorrow and tell them were to go but I would not do this for the following you won't get the dole for 9 weeks.
    I know someone who walked out of a job a few years due to problems like your having at the moment. Every interview they went to after they were asked why did you leave ///?
    Also the reference they got from this job was poor which did not help them.
    I would keep looking for a new job. Tell friends/family that you are looking for a new job as some one you know may hear about something that you suit you.
    If you have not got a new job by the end of Jan I would send your cv's to a few agencies and arrange to meet up with them after this. Take a day or two days holidays to meet up with them and keep looking on the internet/local papers.
    Also just look as this job a stepping stone to something better. Make sure that this job is not taking over your whole life and do your best to switch off once your finish work in the evening. Have a look at your cv and see if you could update any skills you have as in January night classes will be starting up again. The local vec could have a cheap computer course or other course which could help you get an interview and a new job.
    Good Luck with the job hunt and stay positive.

Unfortunately, you do really need to stick with it and start applying for everything else you can find. I'm in a similar position - in a job 14 months. I absolutely hate it, the manager is really, really difficult to work with and I just despair going in there every morning. But I had to take it, it was that or unemployment (which makes me wonder how many people there are out there in this position). In my case, I've decided to go back to college to do a Masters in my free time, and I'm thinking I'll have to stick out another 12 months of the place, before I can get out.

A month is (unfortunately) very little time in job hunting. Also it is coming up to Christmas which can be a bit of a dead time for new jobs to come out. You really need to keep on and on and on hunting. If nothing else, it makes you feel like you're proactively doing something about your situation. Fablady gives good advice. You need this place for a reference and you WILL be asked in future interviews why you left it, if you walk out. Keep on sending out CV's, keep on looking and keep your chin up. I know it's tough, but you can get out of there, it just takes time

Thanks for the advice guys! I know I have to stick at it even though I hate pretty much every minute of it. I can switch off once I get if but I'm sure people know the feeling of dread before bed, or even worse, when you alarm wakes you up in the morning!

I think I'm going to go travelling late next year so I'm thinking of just sticking it out until then but the thought it so depressing! Like all work, temp work doesn't seem easy to come by.

One of main problems is is that because I don't like my boss, the job a the actual work (I'm a recent graduate and pretty much anyone would be qualified to do the work I'm doing) I'm not working half as hard I should be. I procrastinate as much as possible when I have work to do because nothing about the job motivates me at this stage.

That sounds awfully familiar workproblems. I myself am drastically over-qualified for the job I'm doing, but as I said it was this or the dole (and that was after a period on the dole anyway). I know that sinking feeling only too well, it's horrible.

I think maybe your travelling plans should be a bit more definite and stop being a "maybe"!! Either keep looking hard for something new, or else start looking properly into travelling. Having something to focus on outside of a job you hate helps the whole situation.

Unfortunately (in my experience), the job probably won't improve, so you have to proactively do something about getting out and into something else. Don't let it drive you out into nothing though. I'm stuck in a very similar position - terrible manager, no interest in the work, etc etc, but doing a Masters is giving me something else to think about and hope that I can get out very soon. I know some days can be really, really bad, but try not to let them get to you too much and concentrate your efforts outside the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bowlofcherries

I procrastinate as much as possible when I have work to do because nothing about the job motivates me at this stage.

I know exactly what you mean. I've been working for my company for almost a year now and the past 3 months have been horrible. There hasn't been one day that I've felt happy.

I want to quit with all my heart and soul and thankfully I've been able to save enough over the past few months that will help to support me until I get a new job. If I quit, I am also going to have to move back to Ireland, which is exactly what I want to do.

My mother is ill at the moment and needs all the support and care she can get and unfortunately my brothers are still in college and school fulltime and my dad has to work full time to support everyone else.

If I were to quit, I wouldn't be sitting around. I have a plan to take 3 weeks for myself, to get myself relaxed and rejuvenated and into a good routine at home. Then there are several distance learning courses that I want/need to do in order to get my ideal job.

What I'm doing now is not and never was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I'm just not equipped with the necessary personality traits for it, which makes it all the more difficult and stressful!

As for the dread and dragging myself out of bed... I can count on one hand the amount of times I've made it into work on time in the past 2 months. And I used to be in at least 45 mins early every morning.

I think its hard for anyone to make the decision for you... and even when you've made the decision, you'll doubt yourself even after you've made the decision. I'm currently in the decision making process.

My uncle is coming to visit next week so I hope that by the time he is leaving that I will have made my final decision. Find someone you trust, that has been through something similar and talk it out, face to face is best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I sat down last New Years Eve and promised myself I wouldn't be in my old job next New Years Eve. I was up at 6am but putting off the commute so I was late. Hated my job. Used it to do so many courses as I knew I was leaving. VS came along and I applied. Got it. 10 weeks for every year that gives me two years salary. Never looked back. Have had loads of job offers since. Never one morning goes by that I miss my old job. New one after Christmas! (and I'm talking a 100k job)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭maidie

Hi OP,

I feel so sorry for your situation and I too have often felt the dread of the night before work, now I work part-time and on a casual basis, I have much less money but have never been happier in my job, Personally I believe that life is too short to be miserable, having said that you could be just as miserable in a different way unemployed. Sorry I have no good advice but I guess that there are thousands in your position at the moment, wish you all the best

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Newbie34

Hi OP,Is it that bad? Can't you speak to the manager to see if there's a fast track traing programme you can go on? Is expectations too high? A lot of people argue that they hate the job there in but cest la vie I'm sure your not the only one. Sometimes people need to man up and face situations head on to see where they can go from the rut they feel they are in! Maybe your manager and peers have high respect for you and your doing better than you think?
    Just my tuppence anyway

Advertisement