Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Messrs Maguires (Read Mod Note - Post #33)

Options
  • 12-11-2012 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Hearing it was closed by Nama.

Pity if true

Mod Edit: Messrs is currently operating as normal - Please read post #33

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,520 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I was in there on Friday night for a pint, so unless it has closed down since then, I would hazard a guess that it's still open. Rather disappointingly though, they had none of their own micro-brewed beers, just the mainstream stuff. So perhaps that's a negative sign.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/landlord-locks-himself-in-bar-as-ibrc-swoops-on-indebted-pubs-3290672.html
    On November 8, it appointed agents to take back control of Messers Maguire, The Cat & Cage and Quinns.

Yesterday, Messers Maguire was operating normally.

From Sunday. Looks like they're in trouble anyway. Would be sad to see it go myself.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 19,520 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

And bam. I'm wrong..
    Iconic Quinn family pubs were shut down by toxic bank IBRC in a row over rent
    It closed on Thursday and re-opened on Friday.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I was in there on Friday night for a pint, so unless it has closed down since then, I would hazard a guess that it's still open. Rather disappointingly though, they had none of their own micro-brewed beers, just the mainstream stuff. So perhaps that's a negative sign.

That's a bit strange, I was in about 2 weeks ago and the brewer had a brew going so they'll definitely have some available soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

Rather disappointingly though, they had none of their own micro-brewed beers, just the mainstream stuff. So perhaps that's a negative sign.

I'll be very sad if this is true. I was planning to head that way tomorrow while the international match is on, mainly as an excuse to see if their porter is still on. If there are no homebrews I have no real reason to go to Messrs anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

sounds like it reopened?

anyone been in this week or walked by to confirm?

I am sure they will still do the micro brewery stuff, that would be the style of the pub and with craft beer places doing so well its a winner!
    no reason to close it, unless they were intending to sell it. so I would be surprised if it wasnt open again,but with new locks etc and a legal change of hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

It was open on Friday night, was in there getting fairly wasted.

I'll check tomorrow and see if it's open. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Maybe if they turned off the heat in the place it would save them money. Always roasting in that place. Very uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Larianne wrote: »
    Maybe if they turned off the heat in the place it would save them money. Always roasting in that place. Very uncomfortable.

Agree, way too hot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

irish_goat wrote: »

That's a bit strange, I was in about 2 weeks ago and the brewer had a brew going so they'll definitely have some available soon enough.

I hadn't realised they were still brewing there

• Advertisement

Even aside from the very informative OP it looks like some financial games are being played.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Polar101

MarkMc wrote: »
    I hadn't realised they were still brewing there

I really like their beers, and it's only €4 a pint.. hope they keep brewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Never knew that it was owned by Sean Quinn, is he related to Frank or Mick of the Lansdowne hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Folks - No speculation please on the reasons for closure (if it is indeed closing). Owners tend to get a tad upset, especially if the speculation is totally incorrect.

Thanks,

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Larianne wrote: »

Absolutely. Was in there for an engagement party and it was stifling. Made we want to drink more.

Hang on a second....

keano_afc wrote: »

Absolutely. Was in there for an engagement party and it was stifling. Made we want to drink more.

Hang on a second....

It should have reopened if the reports in the press are correct. Has anyone been by and had a look?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

liffeylite wrote: »
    It should have reopened if the reports in the press are correct. Has anyone been by and had a look?

Yup, it was open this evening when I walked by.

Good stuff :)

the pub itself as far I am aware is perfectly profitable. <Mod snip>

but obviously, it is more of an asset when its open :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Just there tonight. Atm not working and jo cards acceptes as payments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Quinns is going to close down this Saturday according to reports from my friends they got there information via Facebook from the Quinns page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I noticed the signs have been taken down, but it looked like people were still coming and going. I only saw it crossing O'Connell bridge so can't be too sure.
    Website also doesn't work any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

This is written at the top of their Twitter account:
    Now Taken over by very greedy people Called.. Anglo Irish Bank AKA Our Government. Advice...Drink somewhere else!!!!

But is it gonna remain open now? Mate says it's gonna shut now Anglo's been liquidated?

Was only in there Tuesday night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

was running as normal yesterday. so if we drink there the profits go to our government rather than some greedy business man, sounds good to me

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

adamski8 wrote: »
    was running as normal yesterday. so if we drink there the profits go to our government European Overlords rather than some greedy business man, sounds good to me

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kreuzberg09

was running as normal yesterday. so if we drink there the profits go to our government rather than some greedy business man, sounds good to me

More like the profits going to pay for the KPMG hourly rate and expenses.

is this place closed now? can anyone confirm?

I can see the logic that since Anglo has been liquidated, their assets have now been closed off. however, they must have passed through to another arm of the government, and I cannot see the government wanting to close down a successful business and lose the jobs contained therein.

I could see it closing temporarily until the relevant powers can reinstate it.

Has this affected the barge pub also?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I was in there last week. It was petty dead.

The bar staff seemed clueless about their own beers. I asked if they were still brewing them, and they said no, they thought someone called Rob was, but they didn't know what they were. Hohum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,311 ✭✭✭markpb

If you like that, you'd love living in Soviet Russia!

• Advertisement

Was in Messrs last night, still open.

Advertisement