Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Messrs Maguires (Read Mod Note - Post #33)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Really like Messers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Mod Note

Currently Messrs Maguire's is still open and operating as Normal. Therefore I'd ask people to not speculate about its closure, its unfair on Staff and Management at what is an already difficult time. If you are going to post regarding it's closure, you MUST provide a reputable source for this (Note - Twitter, facebook etc. are not valid sources). Failure to adhere to this will result in infractions and/or bans being issued

MarkMc

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭bbuzz

What's the story with the house brews? They still doing them? Always used to like them and they were only €4.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I think they increased somewhat in price with the duty increase, maybe €4.10 now but I have not been in to check on the house brews. It would be a real shame to see them go. Apart from being very good, far better than anything else they serve, It's the only brewpub in Dublin and would be a tragedy to lose it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

bbuzz wrote: »
    What's the story with the house brews? They still doing them? Always used to like them and they were only €4.

yes, they arent brewed by messrs themselves (only some specials ever were) and they are now €4.10

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

liffeylite wrote: »
    I can see the logic that since Anglo has been liquidated, their assets have now been closed off. however, they must have passed through to another arm of the government, and I cannot see the government wanting to close down a successful business and lose the jobs contained therein.
    Anglo assets have passed over to NAMA. In general NAMA seem to have kept businesses running where possible, and have even put money into businesses to keep them going where they were in short term trouble.

I think someone mentioned before that Messrs makes good profits but is just saddled with the debts of the parent company. If that's the case NAMA would definitely keep them open and operating.

adamski8 wrote: »
    yes, they arent brewed by messrs themselves (only some specials ever were) and they are now €4.10

That's not exactly true, though it has been at certain times during the history of Messrs. Some were contract brewed at White Gypsy by Cuilan who used to be the brewer in Messrs but only when there was no full time brewer there. When there was, such as Melissa then White Gypsy I think only produced one of the Messrs beers but for the most part, when there has been a brewer on site, they have brewed most of the beers on site. Obviously when Cuilan was there, all of them would have been brewed on site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Is it even called Messrs anymore?

The name is covered anywhere it used to be on the outside.

SantryRed wrote: »

I'm not sure, I'll be passing it in about 30 minutes, I'll try to find out

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I've heard (from a reputable source ;)) that it will be renamed. Very soon, I believe.

• Advertisement

Saruman wrote: »
    I think they increased somewhat in price with the duty increase, maybe €4.10 now but I have not been in to check on the house brews. It would be a real shame to see them go. Apart from being very good, far better than anything else they serve, It's the only brewpub in Dublin and would be a tragedy to lose it.

Can confirm, been drinking their pale ale at €4.10 a pint recently.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

SantryRed wrote: »

No, the fella who owned the rights to the name took them with him when NAMA came in.

irish_goat wrote: »

No, the fella who owned the rights to the name took them with him when NAMA came in.

Pretty much the same as Shebeen Chic changing to the Speakeasy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

irish_goat wrote: »

Isn't that somewhat petty by the owner of the naming rights?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

P_1 wrote: »
    Isn't that somewhat petty by the owner of the naming rights?

The nature of copyright laws mean that if you don't take steps to protect it, it's lost, so he probably didn't have a choice.

So the new name is Sweetman & Wolfe.

Don't forget to post how much you dislike it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

What a bloody awful name! Where did they come up with that?

Ah sure, the beer's still great! It'll always be Messrs to me though. I still call The Village The Mean Fiddler.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 coconutpie

Not sure about the Wolfe part but the Sweetman name has been associated with breweries in Dublin in the past. And I think it was based in the same area of Dublin.

Sweetman's brewery was demolished by Lord Iveagh, the Guinness chairman, in 1900 to make way for an old clothes market.
    http://simtec.us/dublinbrewing/history.html

• Registered Users Posts: 42 coconutpie

Q Bar next door was owned by the same gang so I wonder will they be affected by the reopening. (It's closed at the moment I think)

• Advertisement

coconutpie wrote: »
    Not sure about the Wolfe part but the Sweetman name has been associated with breweries in Dublin in the past. And I think it was based in the same area of Dublin.

Sweetman's brewery was demolished by Lord Iveagh, the Guinness chairman, in 1900 to make way for an old clothes market.
    http://simtec.us/dublinbrewing/history.html
    Sweetman's was originally on Stephen's Green, then moved to Francis Street. The now-derelict Iveagh Market is the one referred to there.

sweetman_zps760c6567.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

BeerNut wrote: »
    Sweetman's was originally on Stephen's Green, then moved to Francis Street. The now-derelict Iveagh Market is the one referred to there.

sweetman_zps760c6567.jpg

Never realised that, nice to see them using some of Dublin's brewing history in the new name.

One of my customers is opposite the Iveagh Market, I always thought it would make a great little brewery site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

coconutpie wrote: »
    Q Bar next door was owned by the same gang so I wonder will they be affected by the reopening. (It's closed at the moment I think)

Q Bar is 100% closed. My brother works in the Barge and it and Messers were run by the same people. When I was with my brother last week all the staff from Q-Bar were calling him asking about P45's and redundancy. They called the Q-Bar the money pit as seemly it hasn't turned a profit in years.

Gald to see messers reopened even if under a new name. IBRC was running these pubs since they took they off Sean Quinn now NAMA is in charge. The Barge is batteling in court at the moment and is trying to stay alive. Shame really these were all good pubs.

No longer Sweetman and Wolfe, it's now JW Sweetman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Was in there yesterday afternoon, place is like a morgue - freezing and dark.

Was in there a week ago from last Sunday, watching a match, they couldn't get the sound to work and there was about five people in the place! I do wonder if people tend to avoid it with the scaffolding up outside, never seen it so dead before.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Were they serving any of the homebrews?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Yeah, their pale ale at least, that's what I regularly drink in there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I think they had 5 of their own brews on.

Advertisement