Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to america in january, question?

Options
  • 12-11-2012 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone I am moving to Northern California for 8 months next year on a paid internship programme, I am not sure when Ill come back as Im not sure when I finish the programme exactly and I hope to travel around america if possible. my question is do I need to have the return flight booked before I set foot in America or can I just book one way? thanks for reading!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Because you have a visa, you can book a one way flight- keep in mind return flights are often cheaper than one ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

thanks, cash is just a problem now is all and im not sure how long ill be staying on for!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Much cheaper to get a return. Get one with a no-penalty cancellation and you can reschedule it when you need it.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Much cheaper to get a return. Get one with a no-penalty cancellation and you can reschedule it when you need it.

who was that with if you dont mind me asking?

who was that with if you dont mind me asking?

No idea on specifics but all the airlines do something like it. Its going to cost a little more than a non changeable return ticket but its worth the peace of mind.

Even some "non-refundable" tickets can sometimes be changed if you pay enough.

• Advertisement

Sorry lads just another quick question I was looking at flying from shannon - london -san francisco with british airways, am I able to go through immigration/pre clearance in shannon airport or do I have to do it in america because of the stopover in London?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yes, if you travel via the UK, you'll do it when you arrive in the US. The only flights that do customs and immigration pre clearance procedures in Ireland are those that are flying directly from the Ireland to the US non stop. If you are traveling to the US via the UK, you are not doing that.

London -san francisco with british airways,

Ahhh BA287

I've done that flight more times than I can remember. I used to live in SF and my parents were in England.

They're expensive though arent they? Did you get a good price?

Now I usually take Continental from Ireland (to seattle via NY) without stopping in England.

InTheTrees wrote: »

Ahhh BA287

I've done that flight more times than I can remember. I used to live in SF and my parents were in England.

They're expensive though arent they? Did you get a good price?

Now I usually take Continental from Ireland (to seattle via NY) without stopping in England.

Yeah the price isn't bad see we're going to be living in San Francisco and we all live in Munster so BA seem to be the best judging by sky scanner for what suits us

• Site Banned Posts: 8 rico27

One way ticket - pricey
    Return ticket - affordable

Since cash is your problem now, I'd go with a return ticket. Plan your trip first and see if the cash that you have will be enough for the whole trip.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

How did you sort out your visa? I'm doing an Internship in New York and moving there from Jan-Sep too but I'm going through USIT and they book the flights through the program.

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    How did you sort out your visa? I'm doing an Internship in New York and moving there from Jan-Sep too but I'm going through USIT and they book the flights through the program.

I am using The irish international immigration center in boston

Hi lads just another question. When I check in in Shannon will my bags be checked in straight to San Francisco or will I have to check them in again heathrow because I think going over its with aer Lingus as that's who BA have a deal with? I only have a two hour stopover and I've never been to heathrow I'm wondering will I have enough time because its massive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Hi lads just another question. When I check in in Shannon will my bags be checked in straight to San Francisco or will I have to check them in again heathrow because I think going over its with aer Lingus as that's who BA have a deal with? I only have a two hour stopover and I've never been to heathrow I'm wondering will I have enough time because its massive?

Ask on check in. I've had mine checked in all the way from Ireland and I've also been told they were checked all the way and they weren't. In Heathrow sometimes you have to pick up the bag and recheck it depending on the airline.

Advertisement