Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are there so many hippies in Galway?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

To be fair its kind of sad to see alternative life styles disappear , variety was the spice of life,

Every teenager now up & down the country dresses the exact same & all all clones of each other,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I wouldn't say Galway is a great centre for proper hippies. East Clare, North Clare and West Cork would have greater concentrations.

Galway would be more of a centre for aimless but artistic young people than bona fide hippies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Quite a lot of them have migrated to working the summer festivals, building stages and rigging, putting up the fencing around the festival perimeters, you still see them at Electric Picnic, All Together Now and Body & Soul festivals these days.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

What do they do for the other 10 months of the year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Festival season is more like end of April till the end of September really, quite a lot work the psytrance events throughout the year as well as things like the Big Bass Gathering in Leisureland in Galway usually early December (which hasn't happened for a few years now since the pandemic). You would see them alright at one off events at the Commercial Boat Club when they have reggae and drum n bass nights. Other than that I suppose they hibernate up in the hills of Leitrim, Sligo and Clare and Cork, brewing moonshine, growing weed and farming.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

Galway is too expensive now and very hard to find housing, doubt there are many there these days. They are out in leitrim etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I know a hippie, she is around 30 I suppose, cant stand her, awful attitude off her and not a nice person which is weird because I thought hippies are usually easy going nice people?

Advertisement