Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Forerunner 405 no backlight

Options
  • 13-11-2012 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi,

My forerunner 405 was not used for a while and now when using it again the backlight is not working. I have tried master reset to fix but this did not work. Any ideas? Is there any chance a jeweller or someone would be able to fix this without having to send back to Garmin?

Also, I have lost the USB ANT stick for upload to my computer. Anyone any ideas on where to pick up one of these that may be cheaper than buying from Garmin?

Cheers folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

DMGACC wrote: »
    Hi,

My forerunner 405 was not used for a while and now when using it again the backlight is not working. I have tried master reset to fix but this did not work. Any ideas? Is there any chance a jeweller or someone would be able to fix this without having to send back to Garmin?

Also, I have lost the USB ANT stick for upload to my computer. Anyone any ideas on where to pick up one of these that may be cheaper than buying from Garmin?

Cheers folks.
    Sounds like a hardware issue rather than a software issue, so no amount of resetting will help. There is absolutely zero point in taking the watch to the jewellers (would you take a laptop to the jewellers?). The only thing you can do is hope that a few charge cycles might help, or else send it back to Garmin, who will charge you to replace it with a reconditioned watch. What is the battery life like?

For a replacement ant stick, try Amazon, Ebay, or post a wanted ad., on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

I has a spare USB ANT stick, make me an offer I can't refuse :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DMGACC

Ha, ya I guess a jewellers was a stupid idea but I just really wanted to get it fixed without having to send it back! I guess I'll just make do with no backlight. Battery seems okay, an hour of a run used up about 20% battery yesterday.

I'll give another look for my USB Ant when home the weekend and if I can't find it I might make you an offer rom!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

DMGACC wrote: »
    Battery seems okay, an hour of a run used up about 20% battery yesterday.
    Hmm. Battery sounds fine. I would have thought that after a long period of non-use that it would be the potential culprit. The jewelers wont be of any assistance as there aren't any modifiable parts.

Just remember: Garmin won't fix it for you. They will send you a replacement refurbished watch, at a premium price. If you absolutely must have a back-light, you may be better off picking up a new watch, and selling your watch on to someone who doesn't have the same need for the backlight (full disclosure!).

A new 405 with HRM will set you back €143. Lets say you sell your old watch for €50. Sell the new HRM for €20. Now you will have a brand new watch with a new ANT stick, for the princely sum of €73 (cheaper than the refurb cost from Garmin). Of course it does depend on you actually selling your old unit. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DMGACC

rom wrote: »
    I has a spare USB ANT stick, make me an offer I can't refuse :)

well Rom, what would you consider an offer you can't refuse? 20euro??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭bike2wkr

I have the same problem with the backlight. It just stopped working. I figured as Krusty_Clown said there that i'll just have to do without or send it back.

Anyone have a HRM for Garmin 405 that they dont use and want to sell? I lost mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

A cheap headlamp will sort out the problem easily enough. Every time you look at the watch the screen will light up ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

A cheap headlamp will sort out the problem easily enough. Every time you look at the watch the screen will light up ;)

With the yoke I wear it will light up everyone elses Garmin as well ;)

Advertisement