Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter routine

Options
  • 13-11-2012 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

We probably all have stories of cold days and bad weather, but I really like this time of year, the colours are just stunning and there's a lovely crispness in the air. I find in winter I tend to do more flatwork schooling and keep to the odd weekend hack as a treat. How about everyone else? How does your riding routine change in winter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

With my old horse I loved riding in winter! Going for quiet hacks and cantering in stubble fields :) My old school used to quieten down a lot in winter too so we often had the arena and xc course to ourselves.

I only have my current horse since the summer so I haven't decided what we're going to do for the winter. Schooling and more schooling I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Thankfully we have floodlights in outdoor & in indoor.... as we have just started a pretty intensive schooling programme so need to be consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

Love this time of year, there's something about the fresh weather and winter mornings that make me much more productive!! I hope to do a fair bit with my four year old this winter, starting a combined training league on Saturday so hopefully over the five weeks he should progress a bit!

Got this book recently and would 100% recommend it to anyone who needs a bit of a kick in the a** for schooling - it has completely changed how I ride, I have a whole new warmup now and the bending exercises have reeealllly opened my eyes to how stiff he actually is through the neck. I find the way she's structured the book makes it really easy to use and you can either come up with a whole routine from it or add bits to your own schooling. Id love to be able to get lessons all the time but to be honest using this is a bit like having an instructor in your pocket!!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/101-Dressage-Exercises-Horse-Rider/dp/1580175953/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1352904808&sr=1-1

Silverfox, that book as been recommended to me 3 times in last day:) Defo ordering a copy of it!

Are you doing Combined training @ Boswell?
    Love this time of year, there's something about the fresh weather and winter mornings that make me much more productive!! I hope to do a fair bit with my four year old this winter, starting a combined training league on Saturday so hopefully over the five weeks he should progress a bit!

Got this book recently and would 100% recommend it to anyone who needs a bit of a kick in the a** for schooling - it has completely changed how I ride, I have a whole new warmup now and the bending exercises have reeealllly opened my eyes to how stiff he actually is through the neck. I find the way she's structured the book makes it really easy to use and you can either come up with a whole routine from it or add bits to your own schooling. Id love to be able to get lessons all the time but to be honest using this is a bit like having an instructor in your pocket!!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/101-Dressage-Exercises-Horse-Rider/dp/1580175953/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1352904808&sr=1-1

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

It is FANTASTIC, would seriously recommend it!! Yes I am, are you? Doing the baby baby dressage on sat morning but just going to do the jumping on sunday morning. Will have to say hello as I think we missed each other at kilmac!!

• Advertisement

I will be there but on foot:) Will be doing baby dressage in couple wks, so going down for a look. We need couple wks more schooling before we are ready:)
    It is FANTASTIC, would seriously recommend it!! Yes I am, are you? Doing the baby baby dressage on sat morning but just going to do the jumping on sunday morning. Will have to say hello as I think we missed each other at kilmac!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Just a quick question on winter routine. For those of you who have stabled horses, how long do your horses spend in/out of the stable daily? My mare is ridden Wednesday - Sunday excluding Fridays, as I can't get out Monday or Tuesday to her. She is turned out either Monday or Tuesday, and then Friday.

I feel bad that there's possibly one day during the week or even two that she'll be stabled for the full day - is this unfair on her?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

marley123 wrote: »
    Silverfox, that book as been recommended to me 3 times in last day:) Defo ordering a copy of it!

Are you doing Combined training @ Boswell?

Just a heads up for anyone looking for the earlier version of this book, it's on sale for Black Friday on Amazon for just £6 now :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/101-Schooling-Exercises-Horse-Rider/dp/0715329758/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353802425&sr=1-3

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    Just a heads up for anyone looking for the earlier version of this book, it's on sale for Black Friday on Amazon for just £6 now :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/101-Schooling-Exercises-Horse-Rider/dp/0715329758/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353802425&sr=1-3

Got that book during the week. It's great! So easy to follow and jargon free. Now, if only it would stop raining so I could ride...:(

Advertisement