Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy Windows 8

Options
  • 13-11-2012 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Is it just me or have microsoft made this really confusing, I have borrowed a retail install disc of Windows 8 from a mate and want a legit copy of Windows. On there website when you go to go to download Windows 8 for €30 it give you a upgrade assistant executable when I run it I then be told Windows cannot be purchased in my region. :confused: Now looking on dabs.ie the cheapest I can see is €60 for a upgrade does this mean coming from a earlier version of Windows or can I use this key on a fresh retail install? There also a €97 version for 1 PC with no word of a upgrade?

I thought microsoft chanaged the name of Windows 8 to make it less confusing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

There's something wrong there, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to buy the €30 upgrade assuming you already have a legit install of XP, Vista or 7. It is available in Ireland. I've done it twice. Forget the retail disc and just run the Upgrade Assistant here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Have you installed your friend's copy of Windows 8? That's your problem. You can't purchase the Upgrade version of Windows 8 from a Windows 8 machine, only from XP, Vista or Windows 7. If your old OS was one of those three, reinstall it, then run the Upgrade Assistant

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

28064212 wrote: »
    Have you installed your friend's copy of Windows 8? That's your problem. You can't purchase the Upgrade version of Windows 8 from a Windows 8 machine, only from XP, Vista or Windows 7. If your old OS was one of those three, reinstall it, then run the Upgrade Assistant

Have a old legit XP product lying around somewhere but no disc can I use another one say SP3 think this key was for a SP1 disc.

Advertisement