Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4s Unlock

• 13-11-2012 1:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭

Just got a used iPhone 4s today which I beleive is locked to O2, but I am not 100% on that.. I'm with meteor pre pay and have looked into jailbreaking and cydia and unlocking and various other things but I'm unable to find a jailbreak for iOS 6.01.

I'd probably mess it up anyways which is also a concern.
    So what are my options? Anything easy?
    Before I start cutting my meteor sim card to a micro etc

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Only O2 can unlock it if its on 6.0.1 and there is no jailbreak at the moment

Handy site for checking
    http://jailbreak-me.info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭McGarnagle92

what about putting the software version down to 5 from the 6.0.1 I think there's a way?

Also would the websites work to unlock it?
    Found out its definately O2 , but seeing quotes of 79 Eur or so for unlock. Is there a cheaper way?

You can't downgrade unless you have SHSH blobs and an APTicket

Those websites can get it unlocked and I'd say 79 is probably the cheapest you will get it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Also would the websites work to unlock it?
    Found out its definately O2 , but seeing quotes of 79 Eur or so for unlock. Is there a cheaper way?

Yes, get the original owner to request the unlock from O2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭steadyeddie08

Try cellunlocker.net
    Will unlock phone from O2 or Vodafone. Just put in imei number and network the phone is locked to and it will give you a price. Unlock done within a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I've seen one website advertising for £49 for Ireland (for O2 and VF) and a 24 hour turnaround..

actually there's a crowd on adverts doing it...:) foir some reason O2 is cheaper than VF :confused:

http://www.adverts.ie/repair-services/iphone-4-4s-3gs-permanent-unlocking-service-o2-vodafone-ireland-factory-unlock/1534733

actually maybe they;re gone.. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

http://allgsmunlock.com are advertising an unlock for €50. I think they'll add an extra fiver as an admin fee or something. I used them for unlocking from another network, and it worked fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Could maybe try the o2 forum on Boards first. Might not cost a cent.

Thanks for all the replies,

Got it unlocked for free by O2 :)

New problem worked with Meteor for a day now I have no network bars, can still use Mobile Internet .
    Have restored, resetted visited meteor twice , nothing at all to do with the sim apparently its the phone does this mean it has been blocked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 DJpaudie

Basically comes down to the firmware and baseband the phone is working on. These can be checked in the settings. It is a good idea to know this anyway because people are going to ask you what these are when you want them to unlock it. There are some basebands that you can easily unlock yourself others you should send to a proper place to be done. Or at least to someone that knows what they are doing.Bear in mind it can take upto 3 days for them to get a code for you

DJpaudie wrote: »
    Basically comes down to the firmware and baseband the phone is working on. These can be checked in the settings. It is a good idea to know this anyway because people are going to ask you what these are when you want them to unlock it. There are some basebands that you can easily unlock yourself others you should send to a proper place to be done. Or at least to someone that knows what they are doing.Bear in mind it can take upto 3 days for them to get a code for you
    Bear in mind the iPhone doesn't use a code to get unlocked. The only way a 4s can be unlocked other than by the operator is a gevey sim and there is none available afaik for iOS 6

• Registered Users Posts: 36 DJpaudie

guil wrote: »
    Bear in mind the iPhone doesn't use a code to get unlocked. The only way a 4s can be unlocked other than by the operator is a gevey sim and there is none available afaik for iOS 6

You can actually do an IMEI unlock for an iphone. However the phone will only remain unlocked with that specific SIM card. It is a roundabout way of doing it of you are using basebands that have difficulty being unlocked. Also this can be done usually free... If you don't want to pay it is something to look into. Just don't sell it on as an unlocked phone!!!

DJpaudie wrote: »
    You can actually do an IMEI unlock for an iphone. However the phone will only remain unlocked with that specific SIM card. It is a roundabout way of doing it of you are using basebands that have difficulty being unlocked. Also this can be done usually free... If you don't want to pay it is something to look into. Just don't sell it on as an unlocked phone!!!
    The imei unlock is a factory unlock and won't be undone with upgrades. Sometimes the unlock seems to only unlock a region, there was a thread here a while ago about it but it will work with any sim, the only other way to unlock a 4S is with a Gevey sim and it is dependant on certain basebands, there never was and more than likely never will be a ultrasn0w unlock for the 4S on any baseband

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

hey guys , im trying to figure out how to unlock an iphone 4s locked to meteor , when i look up unlocking services etc on ebay , they only offer for unlocking vodafone, o2 or sometimes 3 ,but no meteor service. whats the deal there? anyone have any ideas on any way to unlock or recommend a service? cheers

Advertisement