Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Social and community development good or bad choice?

• 13-11-2012 2:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hi im thinking strongly of doing an arts degree in social studies or youth work. Can anyone give me some real info on what kind of jobs I can gain with this degree i am fully aware it wont qualify me as a social worker. I read some treads and these social community development courses are getting some bad flaq because you will just end up working same job on same low pay as somebody without the degree. Basically can anyone tell me what professional opportunities an salary are out there fora social studies degree in this day an age

Thank you in advance,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I couldnt tell you about the course and anything after but i can say that students in this course had a sit in protest over the lack of tutorials a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 fedup.with.itb

I'm a social care student at ITB, course is really good, it is nearly common sense stuff but really makes you think. with a social care degree you can still work in youth and community or go on to do a masters in it.
    It was social care students that had a protest.
    this year they have cut back on teaching hours among other problems, if you check out the thread Don't send your children to ITB.
    but yeah I would well recommend the course, wouldn't recommend the college tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭danish pasterys

I'm a social care student at ITB, course is really good, it is nearly common sense stuff but really makes you think. with a social care degree you can still work in youth and community or go on to do a masters in it.
    It was social care students that had a protest.
    this year they have cut back on teaching hours among other problems, if you check out the thread Don't send your children to ITB.
    but yeah I would well recommend the course, wouldn't recommend the college tho.

Thanks for the reply. Ok so its a good course but what career choices an salary expectations are out there in the community i mean anyone can be a care worker with a fetac module on €9 ph, what other jobs are out there with the social community development degree the prospectus doesn't give much detail also whats the social scene like in itb many class nights out?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 fedup.with.itb

starting salary for a social care worker is 37,000e to upwards of 45.
    we've been told that guys can go further in the profession because they are few and far between..
    is it all about money though?
    but yeah i can see your point, why a degree over a level 5 if not for money.
    but social care degree can offer you more options than community work. there is a min of level 7 required in many aspects of the work

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Soul Cake Duck

If you have a look at the jobs on activelink they would give you an idea of what jobs you could apply for. It is really going to be determined by your own areas of interest.

http://www.activelink.ie/content/vacancies

The course splits into two strands in second year, one the psychology route, the other the culture/politics route. I would argue that you have more options or choice of jobs with the social and community care course, but, I'm bias too! :P

I understand that we need a wage at the end of the day, but, just so you know, it is an area that funding has been cut in many areas but that's the case across the board at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭danish pasterys

If you have a look at the jobs on activelink they would give you an idea of what jobs you could apply for. It is really going to be determined by your own areas of interest.

http://www.activelink.ie/content/vacancies

The course splits into two strands in second year, one the psychology route, the other the culture/politics route. I would argue that you have more options or choice of jobs with the social and community care course, but, I'm bias too! :P

I understand that we need a wage at the end of the day, but, just so you know, it is an area that funding has been cut in many areas but that's the case across the board at this stage.

Ok cheers for that. Im not really into the care course because i had a bad experince as a care worker with people with mental problems so hopefully the community development course would get me something like working in a youthreach or rehibilitation which id more aim for. And yea every sector has had wage cuts im just postin on this to find out its not a bad industry to get into berfore i commit myself after all iv zero interest in the other degrees out there so think in just gonna go for it. Cheers!

Advertisement