Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to Boston - or bust (Stage 2)

• 13-11-2012 4:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭

My long term goal since starting running in April was togain a qualifying time for the Boston Marathon.

On the build-up to the 2012 DCM I started a training bloghere: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056630687

I'm glad to say I finished the marathon, however not in atime I'm pleased with. This was due in part to my mistakes (Not trainingenough, nutrition before the race, failing to taper properly & totallyunderestimating the monster that is 26.2 - i.e. rookie errors) and in partthrough no fault of my own (some idiot dropped a bottle in front of me on whichI slipped on screwing up my ankle after the first water station)

All told, I know I can do a hell of a lot better. Here iswhere I'm going to document it.
    How I hope to build up to DCM 2013 is as follows - Goodtraining and hard work.

I have already set out a plan to finish the year that takesin the Movember run this Saturday, The Jingle Bells 5k & Aware 10k inDecember. My training will be at least 3 runs a week. I plan just to keepticking over until 2013 starts with my first race hoping to be the Wicklow halfmarathon in March.

My plan for 2013 is provisional but steady, based on thedates i have found online I plan to take part in 20 events, with the option ofa charitable cause benefiting from them being considered. (Has the doublewhammy of motivating me/I can’t back out and helping others) Of the 20 the lion’sshare of them will be half marathons with the added incentive of trying manyraces outside of the comfort zone of Dublin. I have left myself the option of aMarathon between now and DCM 2013 (Cork, Limerick or Belfast) in the run up to Halloweenbank holiday.
    It would be foolish to assume that I will run a sub 3.05this year to qualify for Boston, my only goal this year is to make some inroadson my times and in doing so be in a position to have an outside chance at qualifying in2014.

It's ambitious, foolish no doubt and not going to go to planas seems to be my style. But let’s hope as I sit down to in November 2013 andasses my goals for 2014, my mantle is glittering with medals, finishers T-shirtsare busting out of the wardrobe and most important of all I'm in a position togo for a Boston qualifying time in 2014.

To really provide me with focus I plan to run the followingPB’s in 2013:
    5km – Sub 22 minutes
    10km – Sub 45 minutes
    10 Mile – Sub 75 Minutes
    Half Marathon – Sub 100 Minutes
    Marathon –Sub 3 hours 30 Minutes

No going back now :-/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Best of luck with your new log. You had a great 10k time starting out this year. Shame about the different injuries that you picked up.

I'm no expert but two things stood out to me from your last log. You seemed to be running runs too fast (who hasn't done that!) and didn't have a regular LSR. I would suggest (for what its worth!) that you think of getting up to 4-5 days running with one of them a designated long run. Build up your mileage slowly and build yourself a base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭BenMicheal

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Best of luck with your new log. You had a great 10k time starting out this year. Shame about the different injuries that you picked up.

I'm no expert but two things stood out to me from your last log. You seemed to be running runs too fast (who hasn't done that!) and didn't have a regular LSR. I would suggest (for what its worth!) that you think of getting up to 4-5 days running with one of them a designated long run. Build up your mileage slowly and build yourself a base.

Totally agree with you on the training front. I definetly didnt log enough long runs and If I'm honest this really showed up in the marathon. The sparcity of training sessions was to an extent due to injurys, and if I'm honest bad time managment on my behalf.

As for run speed pacing is definetly something I have had issues with, that said I think the lack of structure in my overall training regime is something I have to address.

Thanks a million for the feedback. All Advice is welcome!! Fingers crossed it all goes to plan for 2013.

If the early bird gets the worm, I nearly got a heart attack!

Today was the first run back since the marathon and my plan was to log an easy 5km just to get the body back moving as well as testing out the healing of the ankle.(Something I'm used to at this stage)

As I was up early I went for a run around 7am, straight out of the bed and onto the road. It felt great to be back out running but I definetly felt sluggish. I didnt time the run so havent as my sole goal was to get the muscles back moving and get the show back on the road.

Completed a good 5k. That said, I felt sluggish and rusty. Start the training plan tomorrow so fingers crossed.

After a restless night I got up early to log another light run before looking at following a training plan starting next week.

My plan for this week is to log a couple of 5km runs in and maybe up it to 10km before my rest day. Simples for someone who two weeks ago finished the marathon? No way!

After starting my run I was going grand, enjoying watching the sunrise if I'm honest, but could definitely feel the weakness in my ankle. I motored on through and completed a light 5km in 30 mins with a pace of 6min/km.

While my training side might be a little mundane at the moment I have decided that my first race of 2013 is going to be the Raheny 5 mile in January. After reading the thread on the forum how could one not race it. Just means my season starts a little bit earlier than the planned Wicklow half marathon. Something to keep focus over xmas!

Another easy 5k run put in this morning and I am starting to feel the progress. Firstly my ankle is starting to feel slightly stronger which, if I’m honest is the largest thing holding me back from a long run which is progress to say the least. All told though, nothing to report but another easy light 5km run: 5.21km at a pace of 5.37.

• Advertisement

So after kicking off the hangover from the marathon and getting in a light training runs needless to say it wasn’t long until the auld ankle started giving out, and by giving out I mean pure pain. After consultation with the physio and doctor, 5 days later I was back on the trail – so to speak.
    The advice I was given was to rest up and if I was to train do so on a treadmill to regain strength in the surrounding ankle muscles as it has softer impact. Today was my first day back after rest and I clocked in a 35min interval session running 5.5k’s at a medium elevation.
    Frustration is starting to seep in with the lack of longer runs as it feels like I’m starting from scratch rather than on the back of a marathon finish. In an attempt to keep myself motivated I’ve signed up for the Jingle Bells 5k in the park and all going well am aiming for a PB.
    Either way, thanks to injury, I’m really testing out the theory of slow and steady winning the race.

So with another injury HOPEFULLY behind me and with the Jingle Bells 5k on the horizon, on physio’s advice I got back to training today.
    As I have the week off my plan is to split my training in two with cardio in the morning weight/resistance training after dinner.
    Again on the advice of the physio, my training will be restricted to the soft landing of a treadmill for the next week or two. The thought of the treadmill was compounded by the rain banging off the bedroom window resulting in a struggle to get up and go to the gym.
    Once in the Gym I was thankful I wasn’t out in the torrential rain (getting soft in my injured age).
    My plan for the cardio session was 40 mins on the treadmill followed by a 5k warm down on the stationary bike. The first ten minutes of the 40 mins was 2k of hill running, which if I’m honest I struggled with towards the final minute. The final 30 minutes was 6k interval training which was a doddle. I capped it off with the light 5k cycle.
    While I was delighted to finally get back training I can’t wait to get back on the road and into the open air.

Advertisement