Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hair dye

• 13-11-2012 9:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

Hiya, my 14 year old sister wants to dye her hair. She wants to go from light ashy brown to jet black. Personally I think a chocolate brown would be better then if she likes that she can go darker again, but I won't argue with her about it :D

I know you have to test 24 (48?) hours in advance, and as my mother has a reaction to hair dye it's absolutely vital we do that before dying my sisters hair. But how do you do that? Once the product is mixed, don't you have to use it straight away?

Are there any brands which would be gentle, non permanent and easy to use.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ennis81

14 way too young to be dying hair black, once you go black its very hard to go back!!! Recommend a nice chocolate colour and use a semi permanent one first as she might hate the dark hair!!!
    With regards to seeing if she is allergic to colour book a colour allergy test in peter marks/ the style club (make an appointment to get colour done in salon after colour test and then cancel!!) Peter Marks use L'oreal, so if she doesn't react to their colour test then it should be ok to use a loreal home colour, a colour once is it mixed should be used immediately and never keep any left over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

ennis81 wrote: »
    14 way too young to be dying hair black, once you go black its very hard to go back!!! Recommend a nice chocolate colour and use a semi permanent one first as she might hate the dark hair!!!
    With regards to seeing if she is allergic to colour book a colour allergy test in peter marks/ the style club (make an appointment to get colour done in salon after colour test and then cancel!!) Peter Marks use L'oreal, so if she doesn't react to their colour test then it should be ok to use a loreal home colour, a colour once is it mixed should be used immediately and never keep any left over

I agree with all of above. Allergy test is an absolute must, especially at her age.

Using semi-permanent colour would be the best option as they fade much quicker (in case she regrets it) and they damage hair much less. But beware: What they sell as semi-permanent colour may sometimes be a permanent colour with less strength. Basically, if you're mixing the colour with something else such as a developer, that is a permanent colour; no matter what the packaging says. You don't mix semi-permanent colour with anything else. They are sold in a single container, which you just go ahead and apply. Terrisales is a good place for semi-permanent colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Reasons to go semi permanent:

For darks, a semi permanent will have a much better colour effect.
    Black hair dye is a pain in the bum to get out of hair, so definitely get a semi-permanent so it will wash out eventually.
    Semi permanent is much better for the conditioning of the hair.
    And of course, much easier to change if she hates it!

As for colour:
    Particularly if her colouring is lighter, she should work her way up, and if in doubt between two shades ALWAYS go for the lighter shade. "Black" hair dye comes out blue-black. For real-looking black hair, she should go for "darkest brown" unless she actually *wants* to look like a goth.
    As others said though, go for a chocolate shade first - it'll already be a few shades darker than her natural colour and it could be quite severe so definitely don't go head-first (WUH WUH!) from light brown to black.

Coming from 8 years experience and trial and error! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Thanks for the replies. Very surprised to learn the semi-perm shouldn't need to be mixed. It looks like I won't be able to pick something up in a local pharmacy or supermarket :)

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

I went black at about that age and I do think it's way too severe looking for that age and so hard to get out, now I dye my hair dark brown and everyone says i have black hair, same as two of my friends. The jet black is really fake looking i think, lovely on people with a natural tan and exotic features but otherwise id definitely advice her darkest brown and definitely semi permanent!
    Wish id had a sister to steer me in the right direction :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Permanent colour should pretty much only be put on grey hair. Definitely no need for your sister to be going near it

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ennis81

+1 for the advice on the semi, it shouldn't be mixed with developer, you can purchase what you need as advised in terrisales, they have shops in the Square Tallaght, town, and the pavillions swords, salon services also have 2 branchs in swords they are great aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Last time I put dye in my hair it came with a little tutorial on how to do a patch test, you just use the unmixed colourant so no need to pre mix it and basically waste a bottle. Loreal have instructions at the link below

http://www.becoloursafe.com/ConsumerSkinTest.php

I have light brown hair too & dyed my hair jet black when I was old enough to know better and, if it helps scare your sister away, when your roots are growing back you look either like you have a bald stripe down the middle of your head or like you are going grey. You have to be super vigilant at upkeep or you end up looking like a mess. This was in the days before ColourB4 as well so getting it out literally fried my hair. You think I'd have learned my lesson then and not lashed loads of henna in it a few years later and left myself permanently ginger :( (a lovely shade but not good on me)

Advertisement