Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two phone lines for increased speed

• 13-11-2012 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi all,

Does anyone know if it is possible to have two phone lines to increase broadband speed?
    If so, will the speed double?

I.e.: being in a rural part of Co. Galway, I currently have Eircom Broadband 7MB. If I get a second line, second modem and necessary equipment to link everything together, would I be able to have 14MB?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

masyva wrote: »
    Hi all,

Does anyone know if it is possible to have two phone lines to increase broadband speed?
    If so, will the speed double?

I.e.: being in a rural part of Co. Galway, I currently have Eircom Broadband 7MB. If I get a second line, second modem and necessary equipment to link everything together, would I be able to have 14MB?

Thanks!

Making one faster connections from 2 or more dsl lines is possible, but you won't get Eircom or another operator to do it without exhorbitant costs.

You can get a business grade dsl router that can handle a couple of lines Cisco, Draytek, Dlink and Linksys do them. You can set them up to load balance. However, if for example you get 2 x 7 m/bit lines, if you are downloading from one site, or uploading to one site, you will only get data from one connection. If you then download from a second site the load balancer will then utilise the second connection.

You could setup a PC with two lan connection and two regular dsl modems to do the load balancing for you. Then you still have the expense of paying for two dsl connections, and having a pc constantly on whilst you need the faster connectivity.

Decent speed connections are on the way from Eircom and the other operators. Is your exchange on this list? http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/News/NGA_Phase_4/

• Registered Users Posts: 24 masyva

Praetorian wrote: »
    Making one faster connections from 2 or more dsl lines is possible
    Great, thanks!
    However, if for example you get 2 x 7 m/bit lines, if you are downloading from one site, or uploading to one site, you will only get data from one connection. If you then download from a second site the load balancer will then utilise the second connection.
    Is there no way of having a download speed of 14MB (or more than 7MB)?
    Decent speed connections are on the way from Eircom and the other operators. Is your exchange on this list? http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/News/NGA_Phase_4/
    Unfortunately, my exchange is not on this list, but thanks for the link!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

masyva wrote: »
    Great, thanks!

Is there no way of having a download speed of 14MB (or more than 7MB)?

Unfortunately, my exchange is not on this list, but thanks for the link!

You would not have a 14m/bit connection for almost all applications. Things like FTP can work with two seperate dsl connections.

Really I think your options are, just keep the 1 connection. Would 2 7m/bit connections really be worth the additional expense? If you have reliable 7 mb/it connection, it's not too bad. You could download about 60 gigabytes a day with that.

Or get two connections and use one for downloading and one for browsing.

Or setup a load balancing system.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It ain't one connection, It would be 2 x 7 mbits. Get a load balancing DSL router as well.

eircom may offer 'pair bonded' product in 3 or 4 years but only have the gear to do so in urban areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 masyva

Thanks for your replies Praetorian and Sponge Bob!

• Advertisement
Advertisement