Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major Fire at the Good Shepperd Convent in Sunday's Well

Options
  • 13-11-2012 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭

Sadly looks to be completely gutted - being reported on by Alan Healy of the evening echo, but its a sad sight

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

I heard the fire trucks passing this morning and was wondering where it was, sad sight is right

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Heard it on the radio, went up to the 4th floor in our building and seen it then.

All over FB too from friends up around the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

This finally looks like a good fire, though there has been bad fires already and it's a wonder the buildings are still standing, no more I'd reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I live near there, but cannot picture where it is? I also heard fire trucks this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Heard it on the radio, went up to the 4th floor in our building and seen it then.

same thing I did!

8181517573_6d0a2df9c7_c.jpg
    fire in Sundays well by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Oh no what a shame..twats should not have left it idle so long

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

When was the last fire up there? Most be about ten years ago now at this stage I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Still smouldering at 12

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

GavRedKing wrote: »
    When was the last fire up there? Most be about ten years ago now at this stage I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

There will be mixed feelings about the demise of the Good Shepard complex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I was there in 2003 for the original fire, I lived right next to it, I said it then and I'll say it now that the locals only have themselves to blame for consistingly opposing any development plans for the site.

Stunning building though and an utter disgrace that it was left to rot. Shame on the nimby's, Hope ye like looking at a shell now.

Strangely enough both fires seemed to happen at similar times in the morning.

charlemont wrote: »
    that the locals only have themselves to blame for consistingly opposing any development plans for the site.

To be fair to the locals, they opposed a plan for student accommodation, with virtually nor parking, in a quiet residential neighbourhood and had a partial victory. It mysteriously burned down shortly afterwards and no subsequent plans were put forward. Maybe the current owners, Ulster Bank, will do something with it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

charlemont wrote: »
    I was there in 2003 for the original fire, I lived right next to it, I said it then and I'll say it now that the locals only have themselves to blame for consistingly opposing any development plans for the site.

I can understand the objections tbh. That particular area is a complete bottleneck at the best of times. Sundays Well is a disaster, and the little bit by the Gaol can get very cluttered as well. Put extra people to live or work there and the place would grind to a halt entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Plus the buliding is under a preservation order.

mikeym wrote: »
    Plus the buliding is under a preservation order.

Building Control looking at it now.

"The receiver appointed to the building that caught fire in Cork this morning, has said it is being assessed by insurers and the building control unit of Cork City Council"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I can understand that about the traffic in the area, But whatever the building became it would have attracted traffic anyway. Sorry I can't make a more detailed reply at the moment..I'll post again tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

With what went on above in that place its no harm to see the bloody place flattened.
    Demolish what is left of it and turn it into a memorial park for the memory of those poor misfortunates who were housed up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

kub wrote: »
    With what went on above in that place its no harm to see the bloody place flattened.
    Demolish what is left of it and turn it into a memorial park for the memory of those poor misfortunates who were housed up there.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Cartuja

kub wrote: »

Definitely.
    I worked there a few times back in the day.
    I still think of some of what I saw there. I was a raw youngster at the time, but could still detect the undertones.
    Some of these "Brides of Christ" were pure evil bitches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Ger89

aujopimur wrote: »
    There will be mixed feelings about the demise of the Good Shepard complex.

Terrible horrible place where unfortunate women were used as slave labour in the Good Shepherd nuns' Magdalene Laundry. Treatment of the orphans was also harsh

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Was it a laundry? I'm not familiar with it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Faith wrote: »

there were 3 buildings, as far as i remember, there was an orphanage a laundry and a church,

the church/laundry were damaged by the 2003 fire and the rest this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Faith wrote: »

Rather too big to go over IMO. The whole complex incorporated a mental hospital/institution, a mental/clinical hospital, a convent/workhouse/shelter/orphanage

The Good Sheppard buildings were also the site of the infamous Magdalene Laundry where unmarried mothers were worked sadistically, both as a punishment and as a way to earn money for the convent, despite the state paying the convent for their care and attention.

Advertisement