Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rejecting a car under warranty

Options
  • 13-11-2012 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any knowledge / experience of consumer law regarding rejecting a car under warranty?

The car was purchased new in January 2011, with a 3-year manufacturers warranty, and this year an engine pipe has burst and now the turbo needs replacing.

This has involved several trips to the garage - 60 mile round trip - which has caused considerable inconvenience.

I'm concerned that there will be further problems- new or related to the current ones - after the expiry of the warranty and at this stage have lost confidence in the brand and ideally would like a refund or a replacement new car at the least.

I intend contacting the National Consumer Agency and Which? this week for advice but can anyone offer any in the meantime?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

You might get some good advice over in the motors forum. Sorry but that's the only advice I can give. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭whippet

garhjw wrote: »
    You might get some good advice over in the motors forum. Sorry but that's the only advice I can give. Good luck

I think the OP is posting here as he didn't get the answers he was hoping for in the Motors forum.

• Administrators Posts: 53,861 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I would say your chances of getting a replacement or a refund are zero. Things go wrong with cars, if you are concerned about further problems then sell it on.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

awec wrote: »
    I would say your chances of getting a replacement or a refund are zero. Things go wrong with cars, if you are concerned about further problems then sell it on.

Op has a long long thread in motors advising him of all of his options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

+1. All the advice he needs was already given on the motoring thread but he refuses to accept it.

There is no case here for rejecting a car based on the faults described and the time concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

While I'm sure there are a number of Barristers and Solicitors advising the OP on the other thread - It would be advisable to run this by a solicitor in person OP. A consultation on something like this should be cheap enough and indeed you will likely find you'll be told you have no case, over the phone for free, if he/she thinks it's a non-starter. (See what I did there)

While the car has a three year warranty, claims under your statutory rights will be entertained by the courts for upto six years after purchase. It might be worth getting a letter fired off from a solicitor explaining to the manufacturer that should a fault happen in year 4 or 5 they are on notice you feel you got a lemon.

(sorry for spelling - on a computer that has escaped from 1996 - it still has a 17" CRT)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

You won't get a replacement car or your money back. They will only continue to repair it under manufacturer's warranty.

sell it privately and buy something else or trade it in.

Advertisement