Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A 56-year-old Russian grandmother in rural Dagestan kills a wolf with an axe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

They are a hardy breed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

her hand looks fine to me in the last clip...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

what a badass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

[Insert little red riding hood joke here]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Fair play to her......but to be fair, an axe does even up the odds quite a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Fair play to her......but to be fair, an axe does even up the odds quite a bit.
    For the average 56 year old woman? No it doesnt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

her hand looks fine to me in the last clip...
    Yeah being honest I dunno. She came across the beastie eating one of the herd, it was probably trying to drive her away, she killed it with an axe. Wolves very rarely attack humans, so just business as usual all round which somehow became a news story. 56 isn't particularly old in terms of being able to defend yourself either.

I wasn't happy to read that the locals were going on a killing spree at the end of the article however; if wolves attacking livestock are a regular problem a cull might be needed but gangs of drunken rednecks shooting anything with fur is a bad idea on many levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

I reckon there life is pretty hard.The woman even looks older than her 56 years.
    subsistence argiculture i guess if a way of life there.
    That herd is probably the only thing them familes have for surviving a harsh winter.
    A choice between my family eating or a wolf eating i know which i'd pick.
    It's easy in a developed country with a full belly 7 days a week to say conserve them wolves.
    To help the wolves the local people there would need to be helped first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

The creature was so dangerous that she actually tried to pry its mouth open for some reason as it was clawing her trousers. She took hold of its jaws and pulled, but it wouldn't open its mouth. When she failed to do that she hit it with an axe. So presumably she was also able to pick up the axe while "battling" the wolf, unless she's figured out how to pry open something with one hand.

I don't hold it against her or the wolf, as I said, that's just life there.

To repeat myself, the fact that its making news probably means wolves harrying livestock are fairly unusual. If not then a cull would be in order.

Otherwise why the situation thereafter would need any more action than just keeping an eye on the herd as normal is beyond me, never mind "Her fellow villagers have vowed to hunt down other wolves in the area".

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

kills a wolf with an axe

Dammit!

I was just thinking the only thing worse than a Wolf attacking you would be a Wolf that had an axe :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement