Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laying some ethernet cable in a house

Options
  • 13-11-2012 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Need some ethernet cable laid across the ground floor of house.
    Would prefer if the cable could be hidden below floor
    Can anyone recommend someone who could do this? Cabinteely area.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

What type of flooring is it? Carpet, lino, wooden floor, tiles?

If you have the right tools and it's only carpet or so you could probably do it yourself, save yourself a bit of money.

But then again if your not sure, best to leave it to a professional!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

lee3155 wrote: »
    What type of flooring is it? Carpet, lino, wooden floor, tiles?

If you have the right tools and it's only carpet or so you could probably do it yourself, save yourself a bit of money.

But then again if your not sure, best to leave it to a professional!

Hi. It's carpet over floorboards. A good 3 feet cavity below boards.
    Not sure if professionals have tools to do this without having to take up carpet, boards etc

garlad wrote: »
    Hi. It's carpet over floorboards. A good 3 feet cavity below boards.
    Not sure if professionals have tools to do this without having to take up carpet, boards etc

If you were able to run it yourself and then hire out the tools or buy them online, you can get them cheap.

You would possible need a cable tester:

kingsuns_134927.jpg

A punch down tool:

punchdown-tool-35-485_lg.jpg

And a crimp:

-font-b-Modular-b-font-Network-Cable-Wire-Cutter-Stripper-font-b-Crimping-b-font.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,990 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Any electrician worth his salt could do this for you.

Its just running simple cables. A fishing line would be used for it and it would a fairly swift job.

Thanks for info.
    I can get the cables in work.
    Might just get an electrician in to lay them.
    Can he use a fishing line under the carpet and floorboards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭V1

...Or depending on what you need to run over it, you could save yourself a lot of hassle by using ethernet over mains adapters like these?
    Used one recently (think it was this one). Struggled a bit when I needed high BW and low latency at the same time but for regular use it was absolutely fine. (I was also running it at a distance of over 50m which probably didnt help!)
    You did say ethernet which implies you need network but if its actually the copper i.e. cat5/6 you need for another application (like phones, intercoms etc, etc,) then this obviously wont help ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Thanks for info.
    I can get the cables in work.
    Might just get an electrician in to lay them.
    Can he use a fishing line under the carpet and floorboards?

You say that there is a void below the wooden floor.

It all depends on how the actual joists are positioned under the wooden floor itself.;)

It may be also a case of having to drill through some of the joists to get the cable to the desired location

lee3155 wrote: »
    If you were able to run it yourself and then hire out the tools or buy them online, you can get them cheap.

You would possible need a cable tester:

kingsuns_134927.jpg

A punch down tool:

punchdown-tool-35-485_lg.jpg

And a crimp:

-font-b-Modular-b-font-Network-Cable-Wire-Cutter-Stripper-font-b-Crimping-b-font.jpg

You forgot 1 important thing.....

RJ45 glass plugs (if for a server,modem,or back of Sky Box)

Also you forgot the colour code for making off RJ45 plugs.....;)

White Orange
    Orange
    White Green
    Blue
    White Blue
    Green
    White Brown
    Brown.

A 10 foot length of 16mm or 20mm trunking lid is also used for fishing cables accross floor voids and down wall voids.

Also a 10 meter fish rod kit from Aldi for 7 euro is very very handy to have.

Thats what I do anyway.

I allways install/leave a "draw wire" in place with the cables too...for the future and any future cabling.

See my thread here with pics of the fish rod kit.:)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79570405

• Advertisement

Hi,
    Need some ethernet cable laid across the ground floor of house.
    Would prefer if the cable could be hidden below floor
    Can anyone recommend someone who could do this? Cabinteely area.

Thanks

Did you look at your skirting boards??

You may possibly have a small void under and behind the skirting boars,where you could run a cat5e/cat6 cable or 2 along there.

Just make sure not to crush/pinch nail/screw through them when re-attaching the skirting boards.;)

paddy147 wrote: »

You forgot 1 important thing.....

RJ45 glass plugs (if for a server,modem,or back of Sky Box)

Also you forgot the color code for making off RJ45 plugs.....;)

White Orange
    Orange
    White Green
    Blue
    White Blue
    Green
    White Brown
    Brown.
    Whoops! Forgot those yeah... And the diagrams.

V1 wrote: »
    ...Or depending on what you need to run over it, you could save yourself a lot of hassle by using ethernet over mains adapters like these?
    Used one recently (think it was this one). Struggled a bit when I needed high BW and low latency at the same time but for regular use it was absolutely fine. (I was also running it at a distance of over 50m which probably didnt help!)
    You did say ethernet which implies you need network but if its actually the copper i.e. cat5/6 you need for another application (like phones, intercoms etc, etc,) then this obviously wont help ;)

Thanks. Currently using 200Mbps homeplugs, but only get 54Mbps max out of them, and need to stream HD.

paddy147 wrote: »
    Did you look at your skirting boards??

You may possibly have a small void under and behind the skirting boars,where you could run a cat5e/cat6 cable or 2 along there.

Just make sure not to crush/pinch nail/screw through them when re-attaching the skirting boards.;)

Might look at these alright. In the past I've removed them, but taken a load of paint of the walls in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭V1

Thanks. Currently using 200Mbps homeplugs, but only get 54Mbps max out of them, and need to stream HD.

Fair point -, been there as well, you need a minimum of 100Mbps for consistent transport on HD Stuff.

I'd second the skirting board option - could be a lot easier than lifting carpets, parts of floorboard and fishing. IMO that approach is likely to be a big disruption and mess.

To avoid taking paint off the walls when removing skirting boards, run a stanley knife along the top of the skirting where it meets the wall first to "disconnect" the skirting from the paint on the wall.
    When re-fitting skirting use a very thin run of "Painters mate" or interior frame sealer to close the small gap between the top of the skirting and the wall.

Also if your walls are dry lined or plasterboarded, you will probably have a nice convenient gap under the plasterboard behind the skirting to run cables in, if not (i.e. your skirtings are plonked straight on to a plastered block wall, then you could try this...
    Cat 5e/6 cables are typically between 6 and 8mm thick, the bottom or thickest part of your skirting could be around 18mm thick, In the past I have used a router to route a channel about 8mm deep in the back of the skirting to take the cables around a room. Be careful that you dont take too much thickness out of the skirting and abour how you re-fit the skirting if doing this as there is the risk that it could crack along the line where you cut the channel out of the back of the board.

Would also recommend using sockets to terminate both ends of the Cable and fitting these in boxes mounted to the wall instead of crimping a plug directly on to the end of the cable as 1 it is a "proper job" and 2 I think it looks better to have an outlet with a patch cable connected to it than have a cable with a plug on it dangling out of the wall or floor somewhere. Using sockets does add to the cost but is cancelled out by the fact that you will only need a punchdown tool to terminate the cables at the sockets and not a crimp tool to fit rj45 plugs onto cables (assuming you will also get patch leads from work).
    Finally if you want to run Gig, pay careful attention to all 8 wires when making off connections, 10/100M only needs 2 pairs (1,2,3,6 - Orange and Green), Gig requires (in some cases) all 4 pairs - that one caught me out lately ;)

V1 wrote: »
    Fair point -, been there as well, you need a minimum of 100Mbps for consistent transport on HD Stuff.

I'd second the skirting board option - could be a lot easier than lifting carpets, parts of floorboard and fishing. IMO that approach is likely to be a big disruption and mess.

To avoid taking paint off the walls when removing skirting boards, run a stanley knife along the top of the skirting where it meets the wall first to "disconnect" the skirting from the paint on the wall.
    When re-fitting skirting use a very thin run of "Painters mate" or interior frame sealer to close the small gap between the top of the skirting and the wall.

Also if your walls are dry lined or plasterboarded, you will probably have a nice convenient gap under the plasterboard behind the skirting to run cables in, if not (i.e. your skirtings are plonked straight on to a plastered block wall, then you could try this...
    Cat 5e/6 cables are typically between 6 and 8mm thick, the bottom or thickest part of your skirting could be around 18mm thick, In the past I have used a router to route a channel about 8mm deep in the back of the skirting to take the cables around a room. Be careful that you dont take too much thickness out of the skirting and abour how you re-fit the skirting if doing this as there is the risk that it could crack along the line where you cut the channel out of the back of the board.

Would also recommend using sockets to terminate both ends of the Cable and fitting these in boxes mounted to the wall instead of crimping a plug directly on to the end of the cable as 1 it is a "proper job" and 2 I think it looks better to have an outlet with a patch cable connected to it than have a cable with a plug on it dangling out of the wall or floor somewhere. Using sockets does add to the cost but is cancelled out by the fact that you will only need a punchdown tool to terminate the cables at the sockets and not a crimp tool to fit rj45 plugs onto cables (assuming you will also get patch leads from work).
    Finally if you want to run Gig, pay careful attention to all 8 wires when making off connections, 10/100M only needs 2 pairs (1,2,3,6 - Orange and Green), Gig requires (in some cases) all 4 pairs - that one caught me out lately ;)

You dont even need that.

If using propper systimax outlets,shutters and face plates,all you need is......

1 pipe grips
    1 stanley knife or cable stripper
    1 sharp snips.

if the outlets are Krone..then you need a Krone tool.

Simples.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You could get a wireless adopter for the device. This Will save on running a cable, I have a good one on my desk in the office I'll post the model number in the morning.

Found it: http://www.netgear.com/landing/wnce2001.aspx

I've tested this for a range of different uses and its a very reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Does the house have radiators down stairs? You'll usually find loose floor boards around the pipes for these.

I would normally lift the boards at the rads and have a look under the floor to see how I could do it.

Advertisement