Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childcare costs

Options
  • 13-11-2012 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Can anyone shed any light on the cost of a childminder minding children in their own home e.g how much an hr etc? I have 22 mth old and 4 mth old who i will need minded 4 days a week from 9am 5pm. Im in the Midlands. Already got a price from a lady, €60 per day! Breakdown of €40 for the baby and €20 for 22mth old. This seems very expensive and will work out at €240 a week but then again I am unsure if this is the going rate or what. Would appreciate your views on this guys. Thanks ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Princesshazel

I was looking into somewhere to send my child he is 1 and a half he would of being going into a creche for 3 maybe 4 hours and it was €35 per day. You would want to be paying a min wage at least for someone to mind your children.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

That sounds about right for where we live (Dublin), some people are more popular/in demand so charge more. I wouldn't skimp on childcare, I don't want the person caring for my child to be earning minimum wage, the job is far too important for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

in dublin 15 here and paying a child minder €40 a day for in her own home care from 8am to 4:30pm and it's pretty cheap imho.

they can only (legally) look after a certain number of kids at a time (i think it's 3 total), so working full time it's only €120 a day for what is going to be a very busy and stressful time for them.

we had to take our 15 month old out of the creche as he has respiratory problems and he was getting too sick too often and after a 2nd one week stay in temple street we were advised to take him out and put him somewhere where he would be less exposed and it's worked out much better so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 T9943

Thanks guys appreciate yours views

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

T9943 wrote: »
    Can anyone shed any light on the cost of a childminder minding children in their own home e.g how much an hr etc? I have 22 mth old and 4 mth old who i will need minded 4 days a week from 9am 5pm. Im in the Midlands. Already got a price from a lady, €60 per day! Breakdown of €40 for the baby and €20 for 22mth old. This seems very expensive and will work out at €240 a week but then again I am unsure if this is the going rate or what. Would appreciate your views on this guys. Thanks ;)

That is extremely reasonable.

What you need to know is -
    Is she registered?
    Is she insured?
    If your kids will be in her car,is she insured to carry them?

She is giving you a 50% 2nd child discount which is really good.

Where we live it is 40-50 euro a day for a preschool child and discount for 2nd child varies.

http://www.childminding.ie/2012/04/childminders-survey-results-2011/ might help you.

• Advertisement

another thing to consider is that both the childminder and anyone else (spouse etc.) who might be involved in the care of your child, either directly or indirectly is garda vetted (i.e. anyone resident in the house when your child is there).

i don't believe it's a legal requirement here (yet), but it should be and i know that our child minder is actively involved in trying to make sure it happens. she was actually interviewed by RTE not long ago about the subject although i don't know if the piece has been broadcast yet.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

This is the article - http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/health/2012/1113/1224326521110.html#.UKNuyowLG2Y.facebook

I would not worry to much about garda vetting as it is not practical for new childminders to have it as it can take months and months to get it and then each person has to be garda vetted for each organisation that they work for.
    I am Garda vetted by about 7 different organisations but do not count as garda vetted as a childminder.

there's definitely something wrong with that system as it stands and it needs to be fixed, but as long as someone had been recently vetted i'd be happy with that, regardless of who the vetting was done for. it seems ridiculous to me for people to be re-vetted all the time like that. maybe getting it renewed once every 5 years or something but that the vetting would count for whoever they worked for (or for themselves) would be more practical?

it needs to be done, but it needs to be practical to do at the same time.

I would love annual vetting for anyone that works with kids or vulnerable adults and a registration database to reflect it.
    It would save time and effort and I think would be safer for everyone.

Advertisement