Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best trainer model airplane to buy for a budget of €120?

Options
  • 13-11-2012 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Forgive my ignorance regarding model airplanes but any suggestions on what to get and where to get it would be greatly appreciated please?

It's for a Christmas present, my partner has always wanted to try this as a hobby and he met a man awhile ago just by chance who has been flying models for years, a member of the proper clubs etc and saw some of his planes. It's all he talks about and we have a set budget of 120 for Christmas so I was hoping I might be able to get something.

I don't know the first thing, I've been looking on line even at 2nd hand models but when they talk about getting your own transmitter and stuff like that they lose me.

Thanks all.

I'm in Dublin but will travel or buy on line.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

Hi, a good learner plane I think would be a hobbyzone champ(Video here).It a rtf plane which means it has everything it the box he needs to get flying ,batteries ,transmitter and charger.

Its quiet a small plane and should not get damaged to easily but means it should be flown in calm conditions.There is also plenty of spare parts available online in case he does.

It can be got online here .

A second battery would also be good so he can charge one while he flies.It can be
    got online at the same shop here.

They total including delivery to Ireland is €101.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

Ilyushin76 wrote: »
    Hi, a good learner plane I think would be a hobbyzone champ(Video here).It a rtf plane which means it has everything it the box he needs to get flying ,batteries ,transmitter and charger.

Its quiet a small plane and should not get damaged to easily but means it should be flown in calm conditions.There is also plenty of spare parts available online in case he does.

A second battery would also be good so he can charge one while he flies.It can be

have u already got one of these small planes and how long would the battery run for

I don't have that plane but have other small planes like it and made by the same company.Flight time would be around 8 mins on a single battery but depends on how you fly it.Is this your first rc plane?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭swanangel

Oh thanks! You even posted video and links for me, you're the best. :)

I don't have that plane but have other small planes like it and made by the same company.Flight time would be around 8 mins on a single battery but depends on how you fly it.Is this your first rc plane?

thanks for your reply , yes this would be my first rc plane , i always thought of having one as i dont have alot of hobbies

• Advertisement

swanangel wrote: »
    Oh thanks! You even posted video and links for me, you're the best. :)

No problem:) let me know if you get it and how he gets on with it.
    6480 wrote: »
    thanks for your reply , yes this would be my first rc plane , i always thought of having one as i dont have alot of hobbies

You should its great fun once you learn to fly.I started last year with one plane and now have 6 planes and 3 helicopters :D

You should its great fun once you learn to fly.I started last year with one plane and now have 6 planes and 3 helicopters :D

it could be like an airport here yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I was going to post a new topic, but it’s a similar question, so will piggy back on to this thread if the OP doesn’t mind!

My hubby has asked for a RC Plane for Christmas, he has had some in the past, but I would think the dearest one would have been around €40. He sent me these planes as possibilities, I was wondering what the experts on here thought, how would the compare to the Hobbyzone Champ one posted.

Of the three links below and the Champ, which would you go for?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005IWQAHW/
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007BMFPBY/
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004RK7IAY/

Thanks in advance!

If he has flown before and can fly ,something a bit more advanced might suite him better maybe a parkzone micro t28 .I am not familiar with the planes you linked but the champ and t28 planes have a large range of spare parts available if he crashes .Also another advantage with the above planes is you can use the same transmitter with a large selection of planes which means if he wants a different plane he doesn't need to buy the transmitter again only the plane.

If he has a large area to fly and wants a large plane I have a radian glider for sale;) which is an excellent plane and well suited to somebody with basic rc flying skills

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Grass Hopper

Are the helicopters hard to learn on,thinking of getting into this on a small scale untill I know I'm capable of keep the thing out of the trees :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Are the helicopters hard to learn on,thinking of getting into this on a small scale untill I know I'm capable of keep the thing out of the trees :D
    I can only tell you my husbands experience, I got him an RC helicopter a few years back, it was expensive and very high powered, first time he tried to use it inside :rolleyes: it flew up and took a chunk out of the ceiling! I think he would consider the airplanes a bit easier to begin with.

A fixed pitch helicopter I would say is allot harder to fly than a plane.If your geting a first helicopter I would get a blade mcx which was what I got first and found it excellent.Then you could progress up once you learned to fly that/

Advertisement