Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts & Craft Evening Courses

Options
  • 13-11-2012 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,
    I have a special needs sister (39) and I'm looking for an evening class that she can join. she is very socialable and integrates well with others. I'm looking for something she can have a bit of fun at.

Does anyone know of someone that runs something like knitting, jewellery making etc. in Kilkenny City? I may even be interested in joining myself :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

i see the people of kilkenny could not manage a reply for this poster, isn't it sad that this wonderful city has no facilities for special needs in this day and age.
    Surely to god we should be concentrating on people who live here and spend the money for doing up the high st on those who need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

I didn't see this thread until now so thanks for bumping it up.

In actual fact, Kilkenny has some of the best special needs funding in all of Ireland so there's no need to interfere with doing up the High Street just yet.

Callan receives the largest amount of arts funding for a town its size in all of Ireland and a huge amount of that funding goes to people with special needs. There is amazing work being done in Callan.

I realise Callan could be a bit of a stretch if you're city based but you should contact the lovely people at KCAT as they provide amazing arts courses for people with special needs. They would definitely be your best bet if leaving the city wasn't a huge problem for you. Here's a link to their courses: http://www.kcat.ie/WP/art-courses/

Other than that for courses within the city, you should contact Kilkenny VEC and see what services the have available in the evenings, I'm sure they would be more than happy to give you a run through of their evening classes and figure out what may be suitable. Here's a link to their website: http://www.kilkennyvec.ie/content/read/title/evening-classes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

wow threadhead, that was a super response, hope the people involved get to read it and anybody else who needs such services.
    It is always a pleasure to read such posts, many thanks and a Happy New Year

• Registered Users Posts: 4 hen2012

Hi,
    Thanks for the comments. I did received some private messages in reply to my post and was given some very helpful suggestions.

Threadhead, i agree with your comments and i'm very aware of KCAT and the brilliant work they do. There are loads of activities for special needs people in Kilkenny and if anything my sister is generally busier than me during the week. The only time of day that is hard to find something suitable for her is the evening, hence my original post.

I'll look into the VEC though, thanks for the link.

Advertisement