Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cz 455 .22LR Trigger and Ammo Question

• 13-11-2012 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi Guys , im waiting for my papers to come through for my new CZ 455 .22 LR 20 inch Barrel, i have read a few stories on this rifle about the trigger it not the best and to replace it with a YODave trigger kit ,is the Trigger adjustable on it , and whats the best Ammo for this Rifle for Target Shooting and Hunting , does anyone here have a Rifle like this or any information on it will be very much appreciated , Thanks Tony :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

CZ triggers are fine out of the box unless you're going to be shooting benchrest or something and you need a really clean break, they're adjustable for weight as standard anyway.

If you're hunting you'll want to use hollow point ammunition and standard round nose for target shooting. Don't use target ammo when out hunting.

You can get a variety of both, if you're shooting rabbits with/without a mod use subsonic hollow points, most ranges will only allow you to use subs when target shooting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭retro d

Blay wrote: »
    CZ triggers are fine out of the box unless you're going to be shooting benchrest or something and you need a really clean break, they're adjustable for weight as standard anyway.

If you're hunting you'll want to use hollow point ammunition and standard round nose for target shooting. Don't use target ammo when out hunting.

You can get a variety of both, if you're shooting rabbits with/without a mod use subsonic hollow points, most ranges will only allow you to use subs when target shooting too.
    Thanks for the quick reply Blay ;), if the round nose is for Target shooting why do most ranges use subs for Target ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭clivej

Get yourself a Yo Dave anyway you will notice a big difference with the trigger. Only $15 inc P&P and only takes a couple of minutes to fit. I ended up fitting a Timney trigger to my CZ .22 vermint and it makes a good rifle great

Subs refers to the ammo being sub-sonic and they come in hollow and round nose. The hollow will expand on impact and give a humain killing, as best as possible.

clivej wrote: »
    Get yourself a Yo Dave anyway you will notice a big difference with the trigger. Only $15 inc P&P and only takes a couple of minutes to fit. I ended up fitting a Timney trigger to my CZ .22 vermint and it makes a good rifle great

Subs refers to the ammo being sub-sonic and they come in hollow and round nose. The hollow will expand on impact and give a humain killing, as best as possible.
    Thanks clivej ;),my bad i got mixed up there Blay said most ranges use subs , all rounds fired from a .22 rimfire are subsonic is that right , il see how i get on with the trigger , and possibly down the road il change it ,and for $15 i cant complain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

Try some rws subsonic hp.
    They are a hunting bullet and are very accurate in my cz453.
    My mate uses the same bullet in his cz455 and has done well in local competitions with it.

• Advertisement

retro d wrote: »
    Thanks clivej ;),my bad i got mixed up there Blay said most ranges use subs , all rounds fired from a .22 rimfire are subsonic is that right , il see how i get on with the trigger , and possibly down the road il change it ,and for $15 i cant complain

You can get supersonic rounds like CCI Minimags/Stingers etc.

zeissman wrote: »
    Try some rws subsonic hp.
    They are a hunting bullet and are very accurate in my cz453.
    My mate uses the same bullet in his cz455 and has done well in local competitions with it.
    Hi zeissman , i will definitely give them a go , Thank You , Tony

You can get supersonic rounds like CCI Minimags/Stingers etc.
    Is that because they are a lighter grain

Is that because they are a lighter grain

Stingers are 32gr, their Minimags and Velocitors are standard 40gr rounds..all supersonic rounds.

Stingers are 32gr, their Minimags and Velocitors are standard 40gr rounds..all supersonic rounds.
    have you had experience with the supersonic rounds what are they like to shoot , I suppose il have to try them out to see what's right for my rifle , Thanks for info

• Advertisement

have you had experience with the supersonic rounds what are they like to shoot , I suppose il have to try them out to see what's right for my rifle , Thanks for info

I've used minimags, they're obviously louder and if you're using a mod it cancels it out and the sound will be about equal to an unmoderated subsonic. What you're shooting will help determine what you use.

I've used minimags, they're obviously louder and if you're using a mod it cancels it out and the sound will be about equal to an unmoderated subsonic. What you're shooting will help determine what you use.
    Thanks You and the other lads for taking the time to answer my questions i really appreciate it , il let you know how i get on , them Gardai better hurry up with my licence , I'm losing my appetite and sleep , all the Best , Tony

As ya said yourself...try all different types of ammo and see what works for you...that's the most important thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

do you really think so ? when i have used the hyper velocity yellow jackets and velocitor i never noticed the sound dropping at all when using the supressor ???

using the supressor makes a massive difference on the subsonic alright

@retro , where in clare are you , or what i mean is what garda station did you apply to ?, i applied in ennistymon and was only waitiing 3 weeks, the waiting period isnt normally too long

do you really think so ? when i have used the hyper velocity yellow jackets and velocitor i never noticed the sound dropping at all when using the supressor ???

using the supressor makes a massive difference on the subsonic alright

What are they pushing out at though? 1400fps give or take..they're hyper velocity as you said, along with Stingers...they have a bit more of bang than high velocity. If you shoot something like Minimags...about 1200 fps through a mod they will be quieter and closer to a sub than a hyper velocity going through the same mod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭clivej

I put many, many types of ammo thru both my CZ style and varmint and always came back to the subs, eley in the green box and/or SK, used both for targets and hunting. I found that the HV/SV just would not group as well as the subs.
    OK so there is a big enough drop with the subs but this can be a know factor using a good ballistics drop chart, that once worked out will give you very accurate hits out to 130y +, I mean head shooting rabbits at that range. This using a good 10x40 fixed mildot scope.

All groups @50m off the bench

HighVelocityammo.jpg

Using subs

target2-1.jpgtarget4-1.jpg

target1-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭Cavan duck buster

clivej wrote: »
    I put many, many types of ammo thru both my CZ style and varmint and always came back to the subs, eley in the green box and/or SK, used both for targets and hunting. I found that the HV/SV just would not group as well as the subs.
    OK so there is a big enough drop with the subs but this can be a know factor using a good ballistics drop chart, that once worked out will give you very accurate hits out to 130y +, I mean head shooting rabbits at that range. This using a good 10x40 fixed mildot scope.

All groups @50m off the bench

HighVelocityammo.jpg

Using subs

target2-1.jpgtarget4-1.jpg

target1-1.jpg

There is some massive difference, i also found using subs far more accurate than h/v ammo in my Brno

Advertisement