Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quitting today

Options
  • 13-11-2012 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Well I was off them for 3 years about a year and half ago, a bad break up occured and now Im ready to gove them up again :)

Have decided to go cold turkey-ish with a little help from the Nicorette inhalers. Hoping I'll be back out running without coughing up a lung in two weeks! Im going to try and use this thread as a journal and hopefully it might help anyone else thats going through it..any myself obviously.

Had my last ciggie at 8.30 this morning and it was an emotional goodbye, almost feels like a bereavement. Few mini cravings so far, at my usual smoke break times..have a feeling the worst is yet to come though!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Very best of luck Greenduck.

i'm a cold turkey girl. Two years down the road for me and i hear ya loud and clear about going back on them. I believe we are all one cigarette away from being full blown smokers again.

While i hate the habit and the stench off clothes etc i still miss smoking itself. I'd like to think i'd never go back. They were a huge crutch, it only takes one thing (in your case a bad break up).

How do you feel tonight? I know the first night i went to bed early as i simply didint know how to function or cope without cigarettes. I actually think i felt depressed! Keep fighting, Day two will be tough but it will get easier :)

God i was a complete headwrecker. Try to stay busy ;) and dont fall out with anyone :D lol

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

Thanks themadchef! I appreciate the support as it all coming back to me now how difficult it all was. I never regretted going back on them until I had to give them up again!

Yesterday evening, coming home from work was the worst craving I ever felt. Actual physical withdrawls, head ache, shakes, absolute crazy anger for the traffic light turning red too quickly. I calmed down eventually thank god :)

Just have to keep telling myself I've done it before so I can do it again! Again I'm so sad when I think I cant have one, I know this will pass eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

Best of luck Greenduck. Hang in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Keep up the good work, it's the best thing you could do for yourself and family.

I found it easier to turn my anger at the Fags, how such a small little thing had me so messed up, how I let myself lean on these friends of mine and how now when I decided to stop they turned on me.

You have done it before so you know you can do it, no problem.

My wife is off them 10 days now and will not go back, she is at the good angel, bad angel stage but knows this will go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BO-JANGLES

Good luck.

I'm off them 6/7 years now and I always treated myself with the money I would have spent on ciggies,on dvd's, cd's or a t shirt anything other than smokes . It help me through the early stages.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

Goodluck greenduck the 1st few days are tough but dont let them beat you, im on attempt no7 to get them out of my life,but like ap said we are all just 1 fag away from been hooked again.Its drug addiction & its a habit thats so hard to kick but you can do it my friend u just gotta be strong;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Day two in the bag for you in hope.

Try to save the money and treat yourself at the end of the week. You deserve it.

Male or female do not treat yourself with food though;) LOL That eint ever gonna work out in your favour :D

I found that since i wasint smoking i could actually breathe again so i started walking. Weight loss, not weight gain is possible if you become conscious of "hand to mouth syndrome".

I think i found day three the hardest. So if you feel down in the dumps tomorrow remember you have two of the hardest days behind you, keep the faith it will get easier.

Right so, day two over with and on to day three. I'm actually finding the evening times the hardest especially since I'm studying part-time at night time. My cigarette used to keep me sane and Im finding I'm not as productive which is annoying. I think I just need to get over the worst of it.

Cravings havent been so bad this morning, I find I almost forgot about smoking for 10 whole minutes before work which is fantastic. Loving being able to smell my perfume all day and not having rotten breath all the time too. Am also becoming really sensitive to smells already.

If Im honest I have been using food over the past few days but am making a concious effort today to replace the cravings with some fruit instead of biscuits :)

Thanks everyone for your support.. reallllllly helps!

Day three done and dusted. Again I really struggled with the evening time.

I am also experiencing tummy problems and dry throat. I used to drink a lot of water when I was a smoker but this is unreal!

Positives are not gagging when brushing my teeth, wheezing has stopped in the morning and definately more enery already. I knew ciggies made me tired but this is unreal!

Not drinking this weekend in an effort to stay off them. Fingers crossed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Catsup99

Well done Greenduck, you're past the tricky first 3 day stage, best of luck with the weekend - you can do it!
    I steered clear of alcohol the first few weeks too, but when I did go out it wasn't as hard as I expected it to be - stay strong and get your first weekend in the bag:-)

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Well I've nearly a week in the bag! I have to say I feel twenty times better than I did a week ago. The irritability has halved and I dont find myself thinking about them all the time. I have moved from using the Nicorette inhaler to the 2mg nicorette chewies which defo take the edge off.

I had a crazy weekend in college and had some beers yesterday so I reckon if I can get through that I can get through it altogether. I have been eating quite a bit all week so I'm going to try and cut down and replace the chocolate and crisps with fruit. I have a weird dry mouth and throat but no pains in my lungs which feels awesome.

I tried to run 5km yesterday, made about 4km and nearly died, I suppose it will take awhile for my lungs to recover from the abuse.

On a whole feeling very positive and happy with myself although I do still miss them in the evenings. :)

One full week today!

Its been a tough week I wont lie, but I was out running at 7.30 this morning which I never would have done before. Really pleased with my progress. Have even managed to convince a co-worker to quit :)

My energy levels are what are surprising me the most, i felt like a zombie this time last week, now I've more motivation with EVERYTHING!

Think I'll update every week now seen as the worst is over.

Thanks for all the support everyone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

What really helped my over come the psychological addiction was to think constantly about how disgusting cigarettes are, how disgusting the smell is, the ash trays, stinking butts, the smell off other smokers.

I know it sounds a bit weird and mean, but every time i seen someone smoking i would, internally, look at them in disgust (nothing personal) i was just trying to re-program my brain :) That and reminding myself constantly how better off i am, health wise, and feeling pity for all the silly smokers out there killing themselves :) I know it might make me sound like a dick, but it worked for me, its was not personal. I haven't smoked for nearly a 1 year now and i can't stand the smell or smoke from cigarettes anymore.

Joining a gym and keeping focused on your health also really helps !

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Catsup99

Yay! One full week is a cause for celebration and with a few extra quid in your pocket you should be able to afford it now too :). Seeing as you run, maybe a new pair of trainers? Well done and keep it up!

What really helped my over come the psychological addiction was to think constantly about how disgusting cigarettes are, how disgusting the smell is, the ash trays, stinking butts, the smell off other smokers.

I know it sounds a bit weird and mean, but every time i seen someone smoking i would, internally, look at them in disgust (nothing personal) i was just trying to re-program my brain :) That and reminding myself constantly how better off i am, health wise, and feeling pity for all the silly smokers out there killing themselves :) I know it might make me sound like a dick, but it worked for me, its was not personal. I haven't smoked for nearly a 1 year now and i can't stand the smell or smoke from cigarettes anymore.

Joining a gym and keeping focused on your health also really helps !

I can defo relate to that. I was the exact same last time I gave up.. I HAD to hate them cause if I didnt make myself hate them I would have slipped! Got a lot of stick of my smoking mates over it but it worked!

A new pair of trainers sound great..think i might just do that :)

Advertisement