Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about heading to Toronto

Options
  • 13-11-2012 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭

hey, myself and one of my buddies are planning on heading over to Canada at some stage next year, most likely around February or March,

weve decided to head to Toronto, we've done some research and we have searched rent and all that, and even getting some of the lower paid laboring jobs we should easily be able to afford rent and also have a few bob left over, we dont plan on moving around, but we do plan on doing a bit of traveling when we get some time off,

one of my bigger questions is, would it be hard getting some of these jobs around that time of year, i saw a lot of jobs advertised recently for about $13 a hour, and some of the better jobs i could get advertised for about $18+ an hour, ive worked in a few factories in Ireland over the last decade, so i have plenty of experience, i was wondering does anyone know if there is much medical device or pharmaceutical work around the Toronto area, its more along the line of work id be interested in, so i just want to know what kind of chance id have of getting into that industry over there,

also is there any particular areas of industry around Toronto, or is it spread around the place,

also ive been hearing things about what kind of Garda cert i need for my Visa application, ive gotten one from my local Garda station, but i heard that a more in-dept might be needed and that i have to apply for it through Thurles, is that true, or will the one i got from my local Garda station do,

also, well most likely be staying in a hostel for the first few weeks, are these expensive, is there any alternative short term accommodation to be had there,

and finally, does anyone have any idea of when the visas will possibly be available, ive checked a few sites to no avail, i thought they might be available late November but now ive been hearing January,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 V8_man

Avoid the Global Village backpackers. read the reviews..

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭mickob16

I spoke to a guard and she told me that the garda clearance was simply a case of picking up the form,filling it in and returning it with a self addressed envelope.She never said anything about presenting passports or a more in depth check

• Registered Users Posts: 6,380 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

the IEC Visa programme began about the 17th of December last year. The only reason it may be later this year is because they might be changing some of the requirements and it is now going to be a one 2 year visa, not the current 1 year visa that can be extended. The French 2013 IEC programme is already open which is cause for optimism.

Advertisement