Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water overflow.

Options
  • 13-11-2012 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭

Hi, Ive noticed the last year or so that many houses in the park (afaik) have water coming out of the white over flow pipe..
    I assume its coming from the cold water tank in the attic, but my question is, has this happened to anyone on here, what was the cause and how much was the repair..??

Thanks for any help..

Regards,

WW

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hi, Ive noticed the last year or so that many houses in the park (afaik) have water coming out of the white over flow pipe..
    I assume its coming from the cold water tank in the attic,
    Yes

but my question is, has this happened to anyone on here, what was the cause and how much was the repair..??
    It happened to my sisters house 3 bed in Charlesland.

I replaced the ballcock in the attic. I bought it in Heat Merchants in Bray. I can't remember the price, about €30 I would guess. Perhaps a plumber would charge €60 to install.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

I'm in the wood but I remember shortly after moving in the builder revisited our houses to replace the valve in the storage tank in the attic.
    It's simply down to the valve not shutting off properly. Whether that is because the valve is faulty or the ball cock not applying enough pressure I'm not sure.
    Have a look, you might be able to move the ball out further on the rod thus allowing it to exert more pressure on the valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

As per FirstIn,

In some cases a simple adjustment of the ballcock may fix the issue. Worst case the valve is defective. In the Wood most of these were replaced due to a defective metal pin that holds the ballcock in place, the securing pin rusts and causes the a constant overflow as the ballcock arm was not held in place properly allowing some free-flow on the shut off valve. A few people that still have the issue in the wood may well have missed getting it fixed by the builders because they were probably not at home when they called to the house. (myself included)

It's a simple enough swap out procedure that doesn't require you to shut of the mains water supply, turning the cold bath tap on full blast as well as the bathroom sink whilst swapping out the defective ballcock will allow the water level in the tank in the attic to drop low enough while you swap it out. I picked up a complete ballcock kit in Woodies diy for about €25 and fitted it myself. I only used the new arm, ballcock and securing pin so there wasn't any actual plumbing work involved.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Thanks for the great replies folks..

Brilliant help...

Advertisement