Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housetraining problems with pup

• 13-11-2012 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭

Sorry to revive such an old thread(better than starting a new one i guess) but I am having the same problems, the pup will go everywhere and anywhere in the house, if i catch him in the act i lift him and bring him outside until he is done, i have stopped leaving his food down for him and he now gets fed 3 times a day and i bring him outside about 15mins after he has eaten and he won't go to the toilet, but as soon as he is back inside he will go(provided i am not looking cos then he's put outside) even with the food taken away he manages to go 5-6 times at night :/ I'm not gonna rub his face in it cos i think that's disgusting and my daughter is full time handling him. Are the puppy training pads any use and are they for both number 1's and 2s??

OP, I've created a new thread for your query: it's better to start a new thread than to resurrect an old one!
    Thanks,
    DBB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

greenybaby wrote: »
    Sorry to revive such an old thread(better than starting a new one i guess) but I am having the same problems, the pup will go everywhere and anywhere in the house, if i catch him in the act i lift him and bring him outside until he is done, i have stopped leaving his food down for him and he now gets fed 3 times a day and i bring him outside about 15mins after he has eaten and he won't go to the toilet, but as soon as he is back inside he will go(provided i am not looking cos then he's put outside) even with the food taken away he manages to go 5-6 times at night :/ I'm not gonna rub his face in it cos i think that's disgusting and my daughter is full time handling him. Are the puppy training pads any use and are they for both number 1's and 2s??

I'm very glad to see you won't rub his face in it. I hope nobody recommended you do something so ridiculous and cruel.

How old is your pup?

When you say he goes 5 - 6 times a night, do you mean he wee's? When he's put outside when he goes, do you put him out until he's finished then bring him in or is he left outside as punishment?

I would recommend you wait outside for as long as it takes when you know he should need to go, how often this will be depends on the age of the dog, for young puppies it would be more frequent.

When you catch him going indoors a quick "ah" or clap your hands to interrupt him, carry him outside then when he finishes praise him. You don't want him to start thinking that when he goes you're angry, so don't give out or punish him when you catch him inside.

For overnight problems, again it depends on the age of your pup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Crate training!!

How old is your pup?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭greenybaby

Whispered wrote: »
    I'm very glad to see you won't rub his face in it. I hope nobody recommended you do something so ridiculous and cruel.

How old is your pup?

When you say he goes 5 - 6 times a night, do you mean he wee's? When he's put outside when he goes, do you put him out until he's finished then bring him in or is he left outside as punishment?

I would recommend you wait outside for as long as it takes when you know he should need to go, how often this will be depends on the age of the dog, for young puppies it would be more frequent.

When you catch him going indoors a quick "ah" or clap your hands to interrupt him, carry him outside then when he finishes praise him. You don't want him to start thinking that when he goes you're angry, so don't give out or punish him when you catch him inside.

For overnight problems, again it depends on the age of your pup.

He is 4 months old, and when he goes at night it's more poos than wee's, i don't mind the wees as much as the poos!

No no i bring him out til he goes and he gets praised as he is doing it and he loves nothing more than to be praised :eek:

That's what i usually do when i catch him, i say "charlie no" and he knows straight away he's doing wrong as he used to just continue going but now he stops and keeps it in until he is carried out but as i said he will come back in and do it in the house as well when im not looking :mad:

At 4 months hes still very young. It can takes months to house train. What time do you feed him last at night?

I highly recommend crate training, it takes a bit of extra work but def pays off.

What food are you feeding also as this can have an impact on how many times he goes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

He doesn't know he's done wrong, he's simply reacting to the prospect of being picked up in mid pee when he sees you coming for him!
    When you bring him outside, don't just reward him with your voice, give him a very tasty food treat too. As soon as he's finished, reward him verbally and with food, and bring him back inside in the knowledge that he's empty, and safe to be free around the house for another hour-ish.
    I would strongly recommend crate training too. This stops him being able to go off and pee where he likes when you're not available to bring him out for a few minutes.
    The idea is that you acclimatise him gradually to the crate, leaving his bed in it and letting him come and go as he pleases. Feed him in it, and throw him treats while he's in there.
    When he's happy in it after a few days, wait til he's in it, then close the door but do not leave the room. Throw some treats in, then let him out. Gradually build up the length of time he's in there, and start to leave the room.
    Now, when you're busy and know he's coming up to toilet time, put him in his crate until you're available to bring him out. Don't leave it long, a few minutes at his age. Most dogs will not toilet on their beds, and so the crate allows you to control what his bladder and bowel are doing, but I must stress, the crate must not be used as a prison. It is a management tool to be used for short-term confinement, and for sleeping in... Not something to lock pup away in for hours on end.
    Pup should be brought straight from his crate to the garden, and you must go out with him so you can reward him and know he's gone.
    Do not lock him in his crate all night at this stage... either put paper down for him, or far preferably, get up during the night to let him out.
    The crate maximises successful outdoor toileting, in a way that paper or pads just can't. But it must be used properly. More info on www.dogstardaily.com
    If he's pooping that much during the night, either he's got a food intolerance, or he's getting very stressed about being left alone. The latter should be accompanied by other signs, like whining and barking, scratching, destructive chewing, and a stressy response from him when you leave or reappear. If a food intolerance, it's usually accompanied by flatulence, rumbling tummy, and it should be the same by day as well as by night.
    Indeed, it could be a mixture of food intolerance and separation distress.

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »
    At 4 months hes still very young. It can takes months to house train. What time do you feed him last at night?

I highly recommend crate training, it takes a bit of extra work but def pays off.

What food are you feeding also as this can have an impact on how many times he goes.

He was fed at 6pm and there was 4 mounds for me this morning :( i always leave his water down so wees are to be expected and i dont mind them.

He was on pedigree puppy pouches but i changed him over to puppy nuts about 2 weeks ago as his poos were very watery with the pouches.

Crate training - does that involve him being in a cage at night :confused: If so I have already got a cage that will take his bed and leave room for paper for the toilet and his water bowl but just havent had the heart to put him in it yet

DBB wrote: »
    If he's pooping that much during the night, either he's got a food intolerance, or he's getting very stressed about being left alone. The latter should be accompanied by other signs, like whining and barking, scratching, destructive chewing, and a stressy response from him when you leave or reappear. If a food intolerance, it's usually accompanied by flatulence, rumbling tummy, and it should be the same by day as well as by night.
    Indeed, it could be a mixture of food intolerance and separation distress.
    He has been excellent at night from day one, no crying or anything like that, now he will whine during the day if im doing something and i've left him in the kitchen, but once the lights are out he stays in his bed until he has to poop lol

kylith wrote: »
    What are you feeding him? Poor quality food that's high in cereals will mean more poo, make sure that a named meat (beef, lamb, chicken, fish) is the first ingredient listed.

What do you use to clean up after him? Bleach contains ammonia, which is a component of urine, so using bleach will make the area smell more like a toilet to him. A solution of biological clothes detergent will get rid of all the smell.

If he's pooing overnight it may just mean that he can't hold it for very long yet. It may be necessary for you to get up very early (i.e. in the middle of the night) and bring him out to toilet, then go back to bed. Then you can start getting up a little later every week or so, until he's holding it all night.

Many people find crate training useful as a dog usually won't toilet where they sleep because they instinctively keep their bedding clean. For this you need a crate big enough for the dog to lie out, but not so big that they can toilet in a corner and have enough space to keep out of it.

One of mine took ages to train because she was never trained as a pup. It's horrible having to stand outside in all weathers until she learned that I wasn't going to let her in until she went, but we've only had one accident in the last 6 months :)

Good luck!
    yes i am cleaning with bleach :(

Ok, for a start, get him off the pedigree, its awful stuff. Not good quality at all and no wonder hes poo'ing for Ireland.

Thw whole point of crate training is that they dont go to the toilet in it, so you need to ensure hes doesnt go in there.

Have you read up about crate training? If not i suggest you do because what you are doing is the wrong method altogether.

He shouldnt be encouraged to go in the house full stop, as that is only confusing the pup, you either want inside or out, its unfair to let him go inside then expect him to go outside.

Ok, for a start, get him off the pedigree, its awful stuff. Not good quality at all and no wonder hes poo'ing for Ireland.

Thw whole point of crate training is that they dont go to the toilet in it, so you need to ensure hes doesnt go in there.

Have you read up about crate training? If not i suggest you do because what you are doing is the wrong method altogether.

He shouldnt be encouraged to go in the house full stop, as that is only confusing the pup, you either want inside or out, its unfair to let him go inside then expect him to go outside.

What food do you suggest, i am in the process of reading the link provided above :)

• Advertisement

Head down to your local pet shop, not supermarket (stay away from any supermarket foods, ie Pedigree, Bakers, etc) and find a good quality one like Burns, Eukanuba, CLinivet, Arden Grange, Red Mills, James Wellbeloved, Royal Cnin to name a few.

Make sure the food has Meat listed as the first ingredient, not Cereals or Meat & Animal Derivitives, thats what you want to stay away from.

He won't view it as something to be worried about as long as you introduce him to it properly and positively... Pretty much every owner I know who has used the crate properly has said they don't know how they managed before without it!
    Introduce it slowly and happily... My own dogs race into a crate if I happen to set one up, they love it. Dogs don't view them as a prison, that's just anthropomorphising a highly useful bit of gear.
    Your crate should only have room for his bed, a bowl if water, and food. It absolutely, categorically should not provide room for him to hop off his bed to toilet... This completely contradicts their purpose.
    Also, I'd ditch the Pedigree. Many dogs develop an intolerance to it, and your pup is showing every sign of being one of them.
    I don't like dry food at all, I feed my dogs a natural, home-made diet, but if you really want to feed dry, then you need to be looking at cereal-free, high meat foods like Taste of the Wild, Barking Heads, or the rather expensive Bob and Lush. These foods are more expensive, but well worth it in the digestive/toilet department.
    What sort of dog is he?

DBB wrote: »
    He won't view it as something to be worried about as long as you introduce him to it properly and positively... Pretty much every owner I know who has used the crate properly has said they don't know how they managed before without it!
    Introduce it slowly and happily... My own dogs race into a crate if I happen to set one up, they love it. Dogs don't view them as a prison, that's just anthropomorphising a highly useful bit of gear.
    Your crate should only have room for his bed, a bowl if water, and food. It absolutely, categorically should not provide room for him to hop off his bed to toilet... This completely contradicts their purpose.
    Also, I'd ditch the Pedigree. Many dogs develop an intolerance to it, and your pup is showing every sign of being one of them.
    I don't like dry food at all, I feed my dogs a natural, home-made diet, but if you really want to feed dry, then you need to be looking at cereal-free, high meat foods like Taste of the Wild, Barking Heads, or the rather expensive Bob and Lush. These foods are more expensive, but well worth it in the digestive/toilet department.
    What sort of dog is he?
    The expense of food doesnt bother me as a 5kg bag would probably last 3 months with the size of him!!

He is a minature morkie (yorkieXmaltese)
    here he is :D
    546954_10151470179132995_1177996729_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Oh my word! That is seriously tiny & seriously cute :D

Would highly recommend you try the crate training route as well OP.

Also, when he is out & about in the house try to limit his access to all areas so you can keep a close eye & then you will be able to tell when he is about to go & bring him outside.

Glad to see you're reading the link to Dog Star Daily, there's so much good info on that site, for all sorts of puppy training problems.
    The puppy playpen set up they describe is ideal, and one I'd opt for if you have space. The crate is the next option, ideal-wise. And by far the least ideal is the inherently haphazard hit-and-miss method of hoping you can get him out every time he needs to go.
    Feeding such a teeny dog a more expensive brand will indeed cost little extra. For what it's worth, whilst they were once the best you could get, I don't rate James Wellbeloved, Eukanuba, Royal Canin, or Burns at all any more (sorry Andreac!). Those I mentioned are, by comparison, far superior, though I've little doubt there are others, and they'll surely get a mention here at some stage. But nowt beats the natural diet, at least you know what's going into your wee pup with it: www.dogsfirst.ie
    Good luck!

Started with the crate last night and he pooped everywhere bar on his bed so i fed him first thing and brought him outside and waited a good 20mins before he done anything(done feck all but anyway) left his water down for him and left the house for 30mins, came back and not a drop of pee or a mound of poo anywhere! I am in shock!! I know it doesn't work overnight but this is looking good you guys :D

Make sure you dont leave him in the crate the whole night.

They cannot hold it very long so you shouldnt leave him there for longer than 2/3 at most without taking him out to do his business. You can gradually build up the time hes in it then once he gets a bit older.

He probably went in the crate because he couldnt hold it in all night so you have to be prepared to get up a few times initially until he is able to hold it in for longer.

Make sure you dont leave him in the crate the whole night.

They cannot hold it very long so you shouldnt leave him there for longer than 2/3 at most without taking him out to do his business. You can gradually build up the time hes in it then once he gets a bit older.

He probably went in the crate because he couldnt hold it in all night so you have to be prepared to get up a few times initially until he is able to hold it in for longer.

Yeah that's where I went wrong alright, expected too much from the little mite, but i thought by giving him his last feed at 6pm would have prevented it :confused: He's like a flipping camel storing it until I'm not looking :pac:

Also forgot to add the cage is slightly bigger than his bed and it wasnt his bed he pooped on, so i will have to block off the extra area and hope he doesnt poop the bed!

greenybaby wrote: »
    Yeah that's where I went wrong alright, expected too much from the little mite, but i thought by giving him his last feed at 6pm would have prevented it :confused: He's like a flipping camel storing it until I'm not looking :pac:

It doesnt work like that unfortunately. He physically cant hold it in for long until his bladder and that matures. Just like a baby cant hold it, they just go.

So you need to gradually build up the time over a few weeks/months until he can go a whole night.

3/4 hours max at the mo and let him out, otherwise there is no point to the crate as its doing more harm than good. The point of the crate is, that you dont want them soiling their bed area so you need to bring him out every few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

congratulations, he is seriously cute .... and tiny ! no wonder he can't hold it yet, he's very very young !

first, get him off that horrible PEDIGREE food, stay with him outside for as long as needed until he done his wees and PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE

what I done with mine is while they were weeing I kept saying "do your weeks outside" with a nice tone of voice, kept repeating that. Now when I said "do you want to do your wees outside" they rush to the door at 200mph

also crate training definitely helped but at first you still need to get up in the middle of the night every 3 hours, taking turns with your second half sounds like a plan . gradually increase that amount of time . it's a slow process but if you set a strict routine with times etc there will be absolutely no problems .... it's actually easy

ok this went far better last night :D I let him out before i went to bed and then got up at 5am and let him out, he only done wees as his last feed was at 6pm again so i was worried he might have done some poos in the cage but he hadn't :D think it helped that i covered the cage with a blanket as his bed is only half the size of the cage, also during the day yesterday i left the cage door open and he was in it more times than he was out! as i type he is curled up asleep in it with the door open, so happy with his progress :D:D:D:D:D

Advertisement