Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange call from Eircom -Surprising Results

Options
  • 13-11-2012 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Just to put this telephone call in context

We pay for eircom Broadband 8 mb package. Its by DSL at about 4 Km from exchange. The exchange is not NGB enabled.

We have this package a few years now. Initially we got 4 to 6 mb download speeds with ping in low 60 s. last march we reached 8mb This past year the speeds we get and the ping have become useless. ping is usually above 100 and download 1 to 2 mb.

We are about to move to a wireless provider. Now for the good part .
    Yesterday my wife gets a call from Eircom Sales ( I assume broadband sales). The young guy on phone tells her he can save us money. states that as our line is only capable of 4 mb speed he will put us on a reduced package . He will charge us a once off fee of 25 Euro to do this.

My wife lost it with him. She threatened to go to the ombudsman/comreg and a solicitor because by his admission they were charging us for a product that their infrastructure was not capable of delivering to us. She told him our speeds recently were almost always below 2 mb.

This morning I run the speedtest and the results are ping low 50 to 60s and download speeds 5 to 6.6 mb. Coincidence ??

Eircom need to explain this. At the moment we are getting paperwork together for a solicitor and the ombudsman/comreg .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Just to put this telephone call in context

We pay for eircom Broadband 8 mb package. Its by DSL at about 4 Km from exchange. The exchange is not NGB enabled.

We have this package a few years now. Initially we got 4 to 6 mb download speeds with ping in low 60 s. last march we reached 8mb This past year the speeds we get and the ping have become useless. ping is usually above 100 and download 1 to 2 mb.

We are about to move to a wireless provider. Now for the good part .
    Yesterday my wife gets a call from Eircom Sales ( I assume broadband sales). The young guy on phone tells her he can save us money. states that as our line is only capable of 4 mb speed he will put us on a reduced package . He will charge us a once off fee of 25 Euro to do this.

My wife lost it with him. She threatened to go to the ombudsman/comreg and a solicitor because by his admission they were charging us for a product that their infrastructure was not capable of delivering to us. She told him our speeds recently were almost always below 2 mb.

This morning I run the speedtest and the results are ping low 50 to 60s and download speeds 5 to 6.6 mb. Coincidence ??

Eircom need to explain this. At the moment we are getting paperwork together for a solicitor and the ombudsman/comreg .

Hi louis346789
    At 4 Km from exchange your broadband speed would certainly be affected, thouh I do not understand the fluctuation in speeds you posted above.
    Without full facts, I imagine that the €25 is a down grade fee, which would be correct. I can have this issue fully investigated for you if you wish and should be able to clarify all issues.
    Would you mind PM'ing me your tel number and account number and I will chase immediately.
    Tony

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

On a non NGB exchange you could be on 7.6mbits or 3mbits and the latter is cheaper. There is no intermediate package.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭louis346789

Hi louis346789
    At 4 Km from exchange your broadband speed would certainly be affected, thouh I do not understand the fluctuation in speeds you posted above.
    Without full facts, I imagine that the €25 is a down grade fee, which would be correct. I can have this issue fully investigated for you if you wish and should be able to clarify all issues.
    Would you mind PM'ing me your tel number and account number and I will chase immediately.
    Tony
    Hi Tony

PM sent.

Sponge Bob
    I just want Eircom to keep supplying us with 5 to 6 mb download speed as per our contract. I have no issue with paying for the 7.6mb package.

Louis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

I almost always get about 1.7 - 1.8 down

The other day, I randomly ran a test and was hitting 2.5+
    I re-ran the test, both on the eircom speed checker and also speedtest.net and the results were the same.

I re-ran the tests on both sites for a further hour or so, hitting 2.5ish, then suddenly, back to 1.7 -1.8 again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭louis346789

Hi Tony

Any progress on your investigation. I attach another screen shot of speeds Same old story
    yesterday day-time 5 to 6 mb
    yesteday evening down to 0.8 mb
    this morninfg 6 mb.

Same config at my side. Nothing changed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi Tony

Any progress on your investigation. I attach another screen shot of speeds Same old story
    yesterday day-time 5 to 6 mb
    yesteday evening down to 0.8 mb
    this morninfg 6 mb.

Same config at my side. Nothing changed.

Hi louis346789,

Just following up on your issue. The fault has been assigned to engineers REF: 11531535.

So I will check the status tomorrow and get back to you.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement