Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

100 thousand euros to invest - what would you do?

• 13-11-2012 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17 PowerChild3000

Hi all AH'ers, a serious question for a sec

Ive been lucky to have been left a large sum of money recently and combined with my own savings its left me with just over 100 thousand euros to invest in something.

Some things Ive mulled over;

• The interest rates in the bank are sh*te so there's no return on investment there. Are there banks offering closer to 20% for long term saver on large lump sums?
    • Im still living at home so maybe get a house and bargain hard with the seller as its a buyer's market, get a 3 bedroom and rent a room or two to get some money in
    • Buy 2 one bed room apartments and rent one
    • Invest in solid and safe shares in a blue chip like Apple
    • Invest in a couple of online businesses in an emerging sector

Im open to all (serious) suggestions ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

20%???

I'll have one of what you've been drinking...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Your looking for serious suggestions and you come to AH !

Good luck on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

Have you ever heard of banner brokers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tulip bulbs are making a comeback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Utopian in the 2 o clock at lingfield

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Buy shares in the poster who composes the 18th post in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 PowerChild3000

summerskin wrote: »
    20%???

What I cant understand is that Irish banks in the 80s reccesion were offering (I believe) 10% on some accounts. Why is the bank interest so crap during this one?

biko wrote: »
    Tulip bulbs are making a comeback.

Only in Amsterdam :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Ive been lucky to have been left a large sum of money recently and combined with my own savings its left me with just over 100 thousand euros to invest in something.

And you come to AH looking for investment advice? Pull the other one ffs, the bullshít is strong in this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Id invest all that money in coke and hookers for some pretty good returns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

If you want big returns, then checkout my sig

kellso81 wrote: »
    Have you ever heard of banner brokers?

I have now! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056554740

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Id invest all that money in coke and hookers for some pretty good returns.

Could be dodgy given the incoming fat tax.

• Site Banned Posts: 12 bunny_colvin

• The interest rates in the bank are sh*te so there's no return on investment there. Are there banks offering closer to 20% for long term saver on large lump sums?
    • Im still living at home so maybe get a house and bargain hard with the seller as its a buyer's market, get a 3 bedroom and rent a room or two to get some money in

savings rates in irish banks are excellent by international standards , savers in american banks presently get less than 1% where as 3% is easily attainable in ireland , mainland europe is the same , the reason for this is , irish banks are desperate for deposits , savings rates in irish banks are going down in the future , not up

you wont get 20% on anything bar greek goverment bonds :eek:

you might get 10% yield on an appartment in a rough area in dublin or a provincial town where house prices wont rise for another ten years

those kind of yields ( 20 % ) are not doable on moderate risk investments

if it was me , id wait until the new year , the market is too volatile right now with the fiscal cliff issue in america and europes endless problems , buy a global etf index fund and collect 3% of a dividend while watching it grow down the years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

NTMA 10 year national solidarity bonds.

What I cant understand is that Irish banks in the 80s reccesion were offering (I believe) 10% on some accounts. Why is the bank interest so crap during this one?

cause were in the euro , thats why , it also cost a fortune to borrow money in the eighties , low borrowing rates means low savings rates , savings rates are completley out of sync with borrowing rates at the present time in this country , savings rates are redicolously high in ireland right now

Play on the stock market :cool:

Heroditas wrote: »
    NTMA 10 year national solidarity bonds.

4% per anum and no dirt , a good safe investment , if it was me however and i was investing n fixed income , id buy emerging market debt or investment grade corporate bonds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Okay, pork belly prices have been dropping all morning, which means that everybody is waiting for it to hit rock bottom, so they can buy low. Which means that the people who own the pork belly contracts are saying, "Hey, we're losing all our damn money, and Christmas is around the corner, and I ain't gonna have no money to buy my son the G.I. Joe with the kung-fu grip! And my wife ain't gonna f... my wife ain't gonna make love to me if I got no money!" So they're panicking right now, they're screaming "SELL! SELL!" to get out before the price keeps dropping. They're panicking out there right now, I can feel it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Monorail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Im sure nothing could possibly go wrong with investing it in property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

If you can get a house you'd live in and you're willing to rent out a room then that's the obvious way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Property all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IsThisIt???

Belgium are 7/5 to beat Romania tomorrow night, worth a cheeky 100k I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Invest it in Vegas!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Buy 100k plot of land on the Moon.

Rent out to NASA as landing strip.

You'll be coining it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Put it under the matress...didnt ya see what happened all the investors the last time around :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Hi My name is Adetoke

I have a new venture capital for you to invest in with gaurunteed returns. I am in from Nigeria. If you send me your 100,000 euro you will have gaurunteed profit of 450,000 euro in the next month. This is no word of a lie. My family are very wealthy but our funds are locked up at the moment as we are not in Nigeria at the moment. If you transfer the funds to my account I will send you 450,000 euro when I get home next month. It would be advisable to take this offer as you are quadrupling your money.

Regards
    Adetoke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Bank Shares.

FILL YOUR BOOTS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I think you should get a 2 bedroom apartment and rent out the second room. Just wait though, be in no rush to buy one, wait for the perfect place for a good price and pay in cash up front. Because you'll be living in the house you can monitor wear and tear more closely, always keep money aside for unexpected repair and the like.

If all is well you'll be able to get a large percentage of the rent income to spend for yourself and you'll be living rent free. It'd be a great way to start out considering you're just moving away from home.
    Rent free + rental income would probably suit you better than anything else. If the euro collapses your investment would still be quite safe. Once you buy in an urban area you'll always find a renter.

Or put it into the safest investment you can find like gold or something and just forget about it for a few years. You've got a really nice problem on your hands here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Feck investing it. Buy a home and get out of your parents hair...

ffs.. if I had a 'kid' with 100 grand to spend, and they were still living at home; I wouldn't want to see them investing it in some folly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

summerskin wrote: »
    20%???

Did people miss where the OP said "long term"??

Savings certs are 21% for 5.5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭niallu

A safe blue chip like Apple?

Apple share price has fallen about 25% in the last 6 weeks hasn't it?

Don't put all your eggs in one basket if investing in the stock market.

As mentioned before, pick an ETF, easy to get in and out, and low costs.

There are many different types of ETF's to suit your investing style, personally i'd go for a latin american ETF or on the Brazilian Bovespa ( slightly higher risk but more returns).

If you want something safe and go for the EuroStoxx, CAC40, FTSE 100 etc ( should be less volatile).

A house isn't the worst idea either, but it might not grow in value for a long time, you have to think where you will be in 5/6 years or if you'll want an upgrade when you want a family etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Invest in Property. What could possibly go wrong? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Invest in drink, hookers, fast cars and cocaine. That's what I'd do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Pumpkins, they've been on the up all September and October. If they keep going, you will have made a tidy return come the new year.

tin79 wrote: »
    Did people miss where the OP said "long term"??

Savings certs are 21% for 5.5 years.

An Post? What are they backed up by?

Cheers

Feck investing it. Buy a home and get out of your parents hair...

ffs.. if I had a 'kid' with 100 grand to spend, and they were still living at home; I wouldn't want to see them investing it in some folly.

Im 31 so not so much a kid anymore. Its time to move out (again) regardless :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

FFS, this is a once in a life opportunity for the OP. For once could AH not offer some sensible advice. This makes me so angry (GRRRR).

OP,

Buy a two bed property, then...

.... then, get a really hot flat mate in that can't afford the rent ;) Happy days!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Invest in a franchise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

I would buy a home and live in it. It has value and function beyond the cost when you do not have a mortgage. Prices are great now. You can rent a couple of rooms if you like. It will allow you some freedom in regards to choosing were you work and what you do as you wont have a mortgage hanging over your head. Forget all the discussion in regards to property and people telling you not to buy. They are talking about a mortgage.

It is great peace of mind to own a home without a mortgage. Working or not working you have a roof over your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Buy a snow plough and call yourself "Mr Plow", you'll be raking/ploughing in the money this winter.

Dammit... you've been beaten to it... http://www.mrsnowplough.ie/quad.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Pumpkins, they've been on the up all September and October. If they keep going, you will have made a tidy return come the new year.

I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January.

Then, bang! That's when I'll cash in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I'd invest in a growhouse, and pledge not to smoke more than 15% of the crop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

Marijuana is currently running at a street value of €500 per ounce.

Invest in a few Vietnamese illegals, rent a gaff or warehouse and get them to tend anywhere upwards of 100 plants. At a dry weight yield of approx 2 ounces per plant you'll have doubled your money inside 4 months.

Edit: damn you c_man, damn you straight to hell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Edit: damn you c_man, damn you straight to hell!

I'm the idea man, you're the guy for the details. Let's team up and get the OP to invest in us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭ado100

Invest in a load coffee and send it to Cavan - in the hope that Sean Quinn's disciples might one day wake up and smell it! :rolleyes:

An Post? What are they backed up by?

Cheers

germany ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

buy this and let it out,

buy a domestic windmill for your house and never pay another electrical bill,

buy a solid fuel stove with a back boiler, never buy oil again

buy a 2nd hand electrical car in the UK and bring it over (much cheaper).. use the windmill to recharge your car batteries and never buy petrol again

you should have about €65k left and you will have saved a fortune

• Advertisement
Advertisement