Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

100 thousand euros to invest - what would you do?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12 bunny_colvin

op , you could buy a small farm of land and rent it out , land prices are very strong and expected to remain so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

Hi all AH'ers, a serious question for a sec

Ive been lucky to have been left a large sum of money recently and combined with my own savings its left me with just over 100 thousand euros to invest in something.

Some things Ive mulled over;

• The interest rates in the bank are sh*te so there's no return on investment there. Are there banks offering closer to 20% for long term saver on large lump sums?
    • Im still living at home so maybe get a house and bargain hard with the seller as its a buyer's market, get a 3 bedroom and rent a room or two to get some money in
    • Buy 2 one bed room apartments and rent one
    • Invest in solid and safe shares in a blue chip like Apple
    • Invest in a couple of online businesses in an emerging sector

Im open to all (serious) suggestions ;)

Buy something which will give you an income. DON'T BUY APPLE.
    Leave ireland and move to ASIA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Confab wrote: »
    Invest in a franchise.

I can sell the OP a franchise: "Pretzel Wagon"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

all these people talking Apple this, Apple that

Pears are where its at

100k will get you alot of Pears

• Registered Users Posts: 7 aman121

OP, are you serious ? Really ?

Look at THE RICH. What do they do with their money. Not banks or suburban houses. Gold, Art, Wine.

Of those, you don't have the funds, but the answer for a man/woman of your means is GOLD.

It has been the safest best for the best part of a decade. Over the last five years, if you had invested your 100,000 in Gold and sold it today you would today be sitting on 200,000. Or perhaps even more if you had sold at a peak.

Surely it is no co-incidence that in every shopping centre there are now people sitting at trestle tables offering to buy it on the spot ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

sit on it till you find a business that you understand, have done your homework on and you know you will make a healthy return on., i.e just because someone on t-internet says that day trading (or whatever) is a guaranteed way to triple a lump sum , if you don't understand it or have no interest you will just spin your wheels

• Site Banned Posts: 12 bunny_colvin

aman121 wrote: »

Look at THE RICH. What do they do with their money. Not banks or suburban houses. Gold, Art, Wine.

Of those, you don't have the funds, but the answer for a man/woman of your means is GOLD.

It has been the safest best for the best part of a decade. Over the last five years, if you had invested your 100,000 in Gold and sold it today you would today be sitting on 200,000. Or perhaps even more if you had sold at a peak.

Surely it is no co-incidence that in every shopping centre there are now people sitting at trestle tables offering to buy it on the spot ?

gold was in a bubble throughout the seventies aswell , then dropped to 200$ and ounce in early 81 , there it stayed for twenty years , long term , gold is a lousy investment , its irrelevant that it has had a value for millenia

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭horsemaster

Its always risky playing with shares. Bank interest are too low. Investing in property would be a idea with more research. Its your money so some others like me here might give advice liberally. If it was our money, we might choose different. Might be be to your adavantage to take our ideas with a grain of salt and do more research. Congratulations on your new found wealth and I have absolute confidence you will invest wisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 PowerChild3000

smcgiff wrote: »
    FFS, this is a once in a life opportunity for the OP. For once could AH not offer some sensible advice. This makes me so angry (GRRRR).

OP,

Buy a two bed property, then...

.... then, get a really hot flat mate in that can't afford the rent ;) Happy days!

I like this ;)

• Advertisement

aman121 wrote: »

The few business books Ive read all had the same clear message; if something is been invested in by the masses (which gold is) then the bust is never too far away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭dizzywizlw

Guanshen Railway company...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

The few business books Ive read all had same clear message; if something is been invested in by the masses (which gold is) then the bust is never too far away.
    Easy, put it all on red......alternatively, antique firearms aren't doing to bad....or 3d printing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Government savings bonds (10year) offer a 4% AER, tax free.

If you are willing to put it away for that long, it would provide a modest income supplement once matured.

Travel a bit and see where you would like to settle down.. Then decide.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

One of the biggest earners around would be to buy a bar in a decent area, do it up and watch the money roll in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

iamstop wrote: »
    One of the biggest earners around would be to buy a bar in a decent area, do it up and watch the money roll in.

not in this country though?

Government savings bonds (10year) offer a 4% AER, tax free.

If you are willing to put it away for that long, it would provide a modest income supplement once matured.

All 4 grand of it? ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

Zab wrote: »
    If you can get a house you'd live in and you're willing to rent out a room then that's the obvious way to go.

Cos nothing ever goes wrong with houses. Obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Buy 100,000 bags of popcorn seeds, pop them all and sell them for €8.50 a bag

you'll be a millionaire by the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

All 4 grand of it? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What I cant understand is that Irish banks in the 80s reccesion were offering (I believe) 10% on some accounts. Why is the bank interest so crap during this one?
    They were also charging 16-17% interest on loans.

For anyone with a mortgage now that's paying 4.5% , imagine if it went up 12%

Sorcha16 wrote: »
    Cos nothing ever goes wrong with houses. Obviously

Well it does if you're getting a mortgage. I wouldnt get a mortgage in this country if the interest was only 0.5%

Oh! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

You will eventually meet someone with experience who you can invest with, you being the man with the money. Eventually he will get the money and you will get the experience. All you need do then is find someone else with the money... (It's not the fortune you thnk it is btw, so do somthing safe and conservative with it until you know yourself what you would like to invest in. Some people will have earned that amount today;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

This year I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January. Then bang! That's when I'll cash in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

25,000 pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

1ZRed wrote: »
    This year I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January. Then bang! That's when I'll cash in!

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Tisserand

The few business books Ive read all had the same clear message; if something is been invested in by the masses (which gold is) then the bust is never too far away.

I agree, look at what happened when the irish masses invested in property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

OP are you tied down in Ireland at present?? Do you have responsibilities or could you take a year off and see the world etc? you would still have a lot of money after 12 months of travelling the world.

If you cant leave, theres government bonds, 10% over 3 years. thats over 3 grand a year extra for you to enjoy whatever way you wish. (or as mentioned the 5 and a half year certs or 10 year bonds). you'll have extra income for a few years and still have your 100k at the end of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

Blue Horseshoe loves Anacott Steel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Buy 80 Toyota Hiace's and then sell them to Africans. That's what every other feckers doing anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

chocolate dildos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

Utopian in the 2 o clock at lingfield

Next time out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

shame you missed out on the SSIA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Put a contract out on Bertie, your birthday will be a national holiday for future generations. Or you could put it all on Greece to beat Traps bunch of muppets tomorrow night,2/1 is good odds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭Anthony O Brien

Whats your income like?
    The reason why I ask is because what I would do is use €25,000 as a deposit on a €100k three bed house in a city center location or near a collage, galway, limerick, cork etc and rent the three rooms out separately and you'll have a positive cash flow investment
    Then take another €24,000 and use it to by three more similar properties putting down 8% deposits, leveraging the second purchase off the first and so on

The with the other €50,000 I would buy €35,000 in silver and €15,000 in gold, both in physical form

And of course €1,000 left over for coke and whores

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Whats your income like?
    The reason why I ask is because what I would do is use €25,000 as a deposit on a €100k three bed house in a city center location or near a collage, galway, limerick, cork etc and rent the three rooms out separately and you'll have a positive cash flow investment
    Then take another €24,000 and use it to by three more similar properties putting down 8% deposits, leveraging the second purchase off the first and so on

The with the other €50,000 I would buy €35,000 in silver and €15,000 in gold, both in physical form

WOOOOOOOOO 2006 IS BACK!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

corner the deep fried mars bar market.

you'll need to be pretty wide though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Invest it all in pumpkins, there was a huge spike in demand last month, small dip this month but I predict that they'll peak right around February/March. Act fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭Anthony O Brien

pmcmahon wrote: »
    WOOOOOOOOO 2006 IS BACK!!

care to explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

Shares in McDonalds. Check out that graph.

https://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NYSE:MCD

Click on the tab for all years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

[*]Invest in solid and safe shares in a blue chip like Apple

Aha, seriously?

Have you seen their share price in the last few months?! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

Invest in property and do the exact opposite to what everyone tells you to do with it. If everyone says buy, sell. Irish are too obsessed with property for it not to boom again in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭deblacker

Enjoy the money, in all seriousness: you need a giant robot.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

Whats your income like?

i kinda agree with you but dont go crazy buying houses, its only 100k not millions. pay 50k on one house and about 30k on another no more of a value of 100k each. so upfront you will already paid of 25% of the houses.

i know of one guy in cork, has 7 houses all around ucc, all paid of, renting houses, 4 bedroom at €300 a week, getting 12k for 9months of a college year. (summer renting a bonus). thats 12k a house X 7 houses = 84k for 9 months. thats paying off a house a year, with added moneys during the year.

some of his houses are average, old houses but they are smack bang next to college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Hi all AH'ers, a serious question for a sec

Ive been lucky to have been left a large sum of money recently and combined with my own savings its left me with just over 100 thousand euros to invest in something.

Some things Ive mulled over;

• The interest rates in the bank are sh*te so there's no return on investment there. Are there banks offering closer to 20% for long term saver on large lump sums?
    • Im still living at home so maybe get a house and bargain hard with the seller as its a buyer's market, get a 3 bedroom and rent a room or two to get some money in
    • Buy 2 one bed room apartments and rent one
    • Invest in solid and safe shares in a blue chip like Apple
    • Invest in a couple of online businesses in an emerging sector

Im open to all (serious) suggestions ;)

there is a nigerian prince that could help you invest lose your money ;):pac:

maddragon wrote: »
    Shares in McDonalds. Check out that graph.

https://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NYSE:MCD

Click on the tab for all years.

Cheers. Google shares were considered too but Ive Ive had a rethink about buying shares in anything. The next big financial crash will make the last one look like a day on the beach and the way the euro and dollar are that will probably be in the next 3 years.

This will surely trigger another Wall Street and share meltdown. Its also another reason I dont want this money in a bank! ;)

I'll get to more of the sensible replies later (and even some of the non sensible ones are funny!). Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

Belgium are 7/5 to beat Romania tomorrow night, worth a cheeky 100k I reckon

The OP would've lost all his money if he had taken your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭IrishCule

m4r10 wrote: »
    The OP would've lost all his money if he had taken your advice.

And would have doubled it if he had taken this guys advice:
    Or you could put it all on Greece to beat Traps bunch of muppets tomorrow night,2/1 is good odds.

Any more tips for the OP Bandit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

IrishCule wrote: »
    And would have doubled it if he had taken this guys advice:

You need to work on your sums.

• Advertisement
Advertisement