Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baptismal Cert?

• 13-11-2012 2:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi,

According to my cousin, GRO has indicated that there is no Birth Cert for her dad born 1925 or 1926 in Limerick. All the rest of the family's births were registered so I am very surprised. There are a couple of possibilities on LDS site so I will try again.

In the event that the birth was not registered for some reason, where can one apply for a Baptismal Cert?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

As far as I know, if it's an RC baptism then I believe that you need to go to the church where the baptism was held. The National Library of Ireland only has microfilm copies of pre 20th century records.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Ponster is correct. You need the parish church and if they have a record of it, they can issue a baptismal cert. This can be then used to get a birth cert (if needed).

One thing to check though: are you sure the person was definitely born in Limerick?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Many thanks for details on obtaining a baptismal cert.

He was born in Pallasgreen/Templebraden so the birth could have been registered in Tipperary. However, the 2 possibilities for Limerick look a better option. I am waiting to hear what details my cousin gave when she ordered the cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Even though both Pallasgreen town, and Templebraden townland are Co. Limerick they are in Tipperary (town) registration district.

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Shane. when did it change to/from Tipperary? I'm pretty sure that my younger uncle who was born 1930 was registered in Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

They could have changed 'recently', but both were definitely in Tipperary district up to 1911 at least...

Most of the resources on townlands etc relate to earlier data, so cant be certain about later changes to districts and sub-districts - but if a birth for this area is not turning up in Limerick city registration district then I'd definitely try Tipperary district.

just had a look at the location of Templebraden town land - right on the county border and just 15km to Tipperary town, nearly 30 to Limerick city

Templebreden townland and civil parish were in a sub-district named 'Grean'

S.

Advertisement