Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 month old cough

Options
  • 13-11-2012 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi all, concerned Dads first post here so be gentle.
    Our 8 month old son has an occassional cough. It seems to irritate him but doesn't cause any discomfort.
    It would be nothing to worry about but its going on for around 6 months now.
    He also has bogies all the time sorry if tmi!
    He's been seeing a cranial osteopath for around 3 months and taking zantac daily as he wasn't very comfortable or happy couldn't take a bottle curled up and still isn't sleeping very well.
    We suspect silent reflux.
    He improved after a few treatments but has regressed dramatically in the last few weeks.
    This could be due to the osteopath reducing the frequency of his visits.
    We're taking him to the doc this week for a referral to a paediatrician.
    Just thought I'd post up the details in case anyone has an advice or suggestions.
    We're feeling terrible with his suffering and it's not easy giving him the attention he deserves as he has a demanding big sis who isnt even 2 yet.
    Things getting tough as at this stage both nippers are training each other to wake at night.
    Whoever said parenthood is easy tho?
    Thanks again
    Knipper

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Have you tried warm baths,the steam helps.
    Rubbing baby vicks on his chest and back at night.
    Putting a vapouriser in his room?
    Putting a pillow under his mattress to elevate it?
    Is there a link to him taking milk and when this started?

We can not give out medical advice here but people are welcome to share what works for them. If medical advice other then go see a doctor is given I will close this thread immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 migu

Hi,

I was in a very similiar position to you, except that the cough persisted for 12 months. I tried steaming, which did help a bit, vicks and carvol (sorry I know this is spelt wrong!). All brought some relief. Went to my GP about 4 times and was told not too worry, that as her older siblings were in a creche, she had picked something up of of them and it was normal for the youngest child to be sick a lot as their immune system is not as robust. The cough would come and go but finally it had worsened in addition to a rattle and a wheeze and in sheer despair went to GP again to be sent home with an inhaler. I finally saw a paedriatrician and low and behold the chils was diagnosed with advanced bronchitis (again I think I spelled that wrong sorry, no sleep=no brain). Anyhow she is fine now after an intensive two week antibiotic course. Hope you get to the bottom of this and that my story is of some help, but I don't think an eight month cough is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Referral from a GP to a peadiatrician is really your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

It definitely sounds like there is a possibility of some underlying issue. I'd tend to agree with a referral to a pediatrician... it could be something very simple that is easily sorted and would save you a lot of heartache with coughs/ reflux etc.
    In the meantime, could you or his mama carry him in a good sling to keep him upright and help ease suspected reflux, cough etc?
    Hope you get some answers soon

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

Thanks for all your replies and experience.
    We have tried a few of your suggestions and off with him to docs today.
    I'll post up any news.
    Fingers crossed its something small.

• Advertisement

Just an update,
    The doc increased his dose of zantac as his weight had increased.
    This helped a lot, he is much better now and sleeping much more comfortably.
    Still not right but we're waiting for an appt with a paedeatrician, its looking like a long wait tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

I'm in the same position my 4 year old has a bad cough for months now and after spending a fortune on visits to the doctor we have 2 inhalers and the cough is no better, waiting on an appointment for the hospital to get it checked out. I'm going out today to buy a humidifier for her room as I would try anything at this stage:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

On the wait thing.... If you can afford it, you can get referred to a private consultant instead. We asked for a private referral from our GP when ours developed something like a baby hernia at about 6 weeks. The hospital wait was months, private was 3 days. It cost 150 euro. It was exactly the same consulatant, in private rooms instead of the hospital.

Eventually saw the doc today and they said silent reflux is causing the cough upped his dose of zantac and said all else is well.
    He has settled down more since he began standing thank god and the sleeping has improved dramatically.
    One last thing if your waiting for an appt with a paediatrician chase it up.
    My wife rang and rang and complained and was seen much more quickly as a result.
    Otherwise would have been waiting for months as he wasn't a severe case.
    Thanks for all your help.
    Knipper

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

glad to hear that knipper, for anyone that's interested the humidifier worked wonders for my little one so much so that I stopped the inhalers (I never felt the inhalers were helping the cough anyway) I got one that releases cool moisture to the air with a drop of olbas oil added. I'm still going to follow up with the hospital appointment whenever it comes because if she is away from the humidifier for too long the cough comes back. Just want to add she's not relying on it as it's not on all the time

• Advertisement
Advertisement