Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying home - how often and which airports?

Options
  • 13-11-2012 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Hi guys,

I'm a bit saddened that Aer Arann are pulling out of Waterford in January, and with it their London routes , as myself and my family have used the Luton and Southend routes quite a lot over the past few years. There's a bit of hope as rumours are another operator might take over a Waterford - London route, and possibly to another airport instead of Southend.

Just wondering how often any of you would take a trip home and which airports do you fly out of normally?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

I'll go home two or three times a year, and I find that as long as you book well in advance, Aer Lingus from Heathrow is actually the best option. The price is reasonable, you get a bit more legroom and a bit less hassle than Ryanair, there's a nice dedicated Irish departures area in Heathrow and you can get out there cheaply and easily on the Piccadilly line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Hi guys,

I'm a bit saddened that Aer Arann are pulling out of London as myself and my family have used the Luton and Southend routes quite a lot over the past few years. There's a bit of hope as rumours are another operator might take over a Waterford - London route, and possibly to another airport instead of Southend.

Just wondering how often any of you would take a trip home and which airports do you fly out of normally?

Aer Lingus regional still operate from South End no?! I hope so as I've Xmas flights booked! I know they pulled Aer Arann operated flights to and from Galway and Waterford....

I fly from either South End or Stansted to Dublin, usually around Easter, in June for the bank holiday, in and around Sept/oct and then Xmas, so about four times a year and family usually visit once.

* just checked: Aer Arann operating under Aer Lingus Regional are still flying South End to Dublin*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Aer Lingus regional still operate from South End no?! I hope so as I've Xmas flights booked! I know they pulled Aer Arann operated flights to and from Galway and Waterford....

I fly from either South End or Stansted to Dublin, usually around Easter, in June for the bank holiday, in and around Sept/oct and then Xmas, so about four times a year and family usually visit once.

Sorry my mistake. I meant just the London to Waterford routes. I've edited my post for clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

serrity wrote: »
    I'll go home two or three times a year, and I find that as long as you book well in advance, Aer Lingus from Heathrow is actually the best option.

BA are better if you can get a good price. More legroom, free check-in bag(23kg), free seat choice, and in free flight drinks and snacks.

Unfortunately I usually end up on Ryanair who make it just cheap enough to endure their bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I find Stansted to Cork is almost always the cheapest and easiest option for me.

The bus from Stratford is £9 and gets there in about 35mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blured

Currently flying back to Ireland once a month. I suppose it depends where you are living, I'm in South East London so find Gatwick is my best option. Trains (not the Gatwick Express) are quite reasonable to London Bridge and only take 28 minutes if you get the right service.

Fly either Ryanair or Aer Lingus, they can be quite close on prices. If you book in advance and want to treat yourself, flying in and out of London City airport is quite plesant

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I go back to Dublin 2/3 times a year and usually use Gatwick as I live near Clapham Junction. I never fly with Ryanair. Ever. They lost my bag once and their attitude was utterly inexcusable (I was told by the girl at their lost baggage desk that "you get what you pay for"), so I've never flown with them since.
    tibor wrote: »
    BA are better if you can get a good price. More legroom, free check-in bag(23kg), free seat choice, and in free flight drinks and snacks.
    I had my first BA experience last year from London to Frankfurt and it was absolutely fantastic! Wonderful airline - cannot understand how they get so much stick from the British public.

That said, they usually are a bit expensive, so Aer Lingus is usually the best option for me from London to Dublin.

I used to live on the Piccadilly line and flew into/out of Heathrow, but I found that the tube is often unreliable west of Acton Town. Also, because of it's size, Heathrow is plagued by delays - pretty much every time I fly into Heathrow, I end up circling above London for 10 - 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

City Airport is very handy if booked in advance. They recently had a sale with most returns being €119.

DLR from Bank to Airport in around 25 mins, cheaper than forking out for other 'express' services and great if working in the City.

Another few pluses are that the ticket automatically includes a 23Kg bag and you can check in up to 15 mins before takeoff AFAIK (20 if with a bag)

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

I have been home a few times since I moved over a few months back and I have used Stansted to Dublin as it's easy to get to and from Stratford.

Bit sick that Wat-luton is closing down because I have used it so many times over the last few years as my family live in Luton and I was living in Waterford!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Usually fly Heathrow to Dublin after work on a Friday because I work in Hammersmith and Dublin to Gatwick on the way back because I live in Balham.

90% of the time I'll fly with Aer Lingus. I even plaid nearly double the amount to fly with them this Christmas.

Will check out BA next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 1fm

Another Waterford-Luton/Southend lost soul! Southend is a pain in the butt to get to but it I'm only 15min from the Airport in Waterford. Would love if Flybe relaunched Luton. From Jan onwards it will be back to a mix of Cork/Dublin-Heathrow

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Weebuns12

Southend to Belfast, with Southend to Dublin as a back-up. Such a handy, easy to use airport!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

I live south east so always fly from Gatwick. After turning up 20 minutes before departure time to the check in desk for my flight home for my fathers 60th birthday, and still being allowed to check my bag in and take my flight, I will NEVER fly any airline other than Aer Lingus home again.
    Sweet jesus I could have kissed the woman on the desk!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Seraphina wrote: »
    I live south east so always fly from Gatwick. After turning up 20 minutes before departure time to the check in desk for my flight home for my fathers 60th birthday, and still being allowed to check my bag in and take my flight, I will NEVER fly any airline other than Aer Lingus home again.

I try and avoid Ryanair where I can... Aer Lingus and BA even though they are more expensive are much more pleasant flying experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

My preference would be for Heathrow. In previous job all was paid for so would just take the express. Now I think a lot of the extra cost can be offset if willing to take the tube. Even though I live in Islington and tottenham hale is only a few stops away for the Stansted express. For Gatwick I find the express slow.

For christmas I left it a bit late and was considering my options. BA looked good out of heathrow and you'd get the bag included. Ended up going with Air France out of City due to old airmiles knocking around.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I've ended up being home 5 times since September - Luton is the easiest to get to for me which is Ryanair to Kerry, but I've found Heathrow to Cork with Aer Lingus to be the most relaxing option. Mostly fly Ryanair - very cheap flights out of Stansted, but they cut back their flights recently, had a 6.20am one which I used twice and worked nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Seraphina wrote: »

i was flying from gatwick to dublin a couple of years ago with aer lingus and got to the check in bang on 40 mins before the flight was meant to leave. was told at the desk that the flight was all fuelled up and ready to go early, so check in was closed early. it was the last flight of the day and i had work at 8 in the morning in dublin. could've killed the woman at the desk, but that was the last time i willingly chose aer lingus. have used them once since on a transfer via heathrow and gritted my teeth the whole way!

now i go home every 5 or 6 weeks, almost always with ryanair from either gatwick or stansted, depending on whether it's to dublin for the weekend or to home, and how much of a rush i want to be in on returning. the last flight to stansted on a sunday is usually hassle free in both airports.

the odd time i'll use city airport. it's great, just park on the street in silvertown and walk in. the in 10 years and 5 or 6 times using that airport, the car has been fine for the weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Don't use Southend. The morning flight is so early there's no trains on the Liverpool Street line there on a Saturday morning. The airport shuts from 12am to 4am so I couldn't even just wait around. The flight takes longer due to using smaller jets. I also had to get a taxi which cost a good 40 quid with a driver who was moaning about it being too cheap.

I live in the east so I'd pick London City first as its less than 30 mins from work and less than an hour door to door to my house.

Stansted is a close second. 40 mins from Stratford on bus.

If you're north Stansted or Luton. Or south Gatwick and west obviously Heathrow. Since the latter is about 1hr 30 to 2hrs away its a non option.

On the subject of flying home, has anyone booked a backup method of travelling in the event that the weather causes cancellations?

I've been looking at ferries home but am I being paranoid?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

x43r0 wrote: »
    On the subject of flying home, has anyone booked a backup method of travelling in the event that the weather causes cancellations?

I've been looking at ferries home but am I being paranoid?

No, you're not.

Bear in mind that adverse weather elsewhere can also screw you up - I ended up out of pocket to the tune of £300 a couple of years ago when bad weather in Dublin grounded an afternoon Aer Lingus flight back to Heathrow. This meant there was no Aer Lingus jet available for my Heathrow > Malaga flight, so it got cancelled and I had to rebook at the last minute with Easyjet.

Obviously there's no practical & cheap option for getting to Spain, but if you're talking about getting back home to Ireland you could always book a Sail Rail ticket and get a refund on the return trip - gives you peace of mind and is still cheap enough that you're not hugely in the hole.

• Advertisement

Just called my travel insurance company there to check what I'm covered for and I can get new flights in the event of cancellation so that's some comfort. Obviously if there are no new flights to book then I'm still screwed....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

x43r0 wrote: »
    Just called my travel insurance company there to check what I'm covered for and I can get new flights in the event of cancellation so that's some comfort. Obviously if there are no new flights to book then I'm still screwed....

I'd ask for confirmation of that in writing if I were you - I got a refund from Aer Lingus for my cancelled flight but my travel insurance provider did not provide coverage for replacement flights (though they probably would have done if they'd been return flights).

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

I bypass all this and just go straight to booking a ferry. :D

serrity wrote: »
    I bypass all this and just go straight to booking a ferry. :D

if it's anything like 2006, that'd be a wise option!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I have the ferry booked this year only because we're home for two weeks and having the car will be handy.

However I got stung badly due to the weather a couple of years ago when coming over to the UK for a sneaky interview just before Christmas. The interview was on a Monday and my girlfriend was already living in London so I traveled over from Dublin to Gatwick on the Friday. The plan was to spend the weekend with her, call in sick to work on the Monday while actually going for the interview, then fly home that night and go to work on the Tuesday morning.

All went to plan, the interview went well and I was sitting in the Wetherspoons in Gatwick South Terminal watching BBC news waiting for my boarding time. Suddenly it was announced on the news that Gatwick Airport was closed for the evening. Myself and other passengers looked around in bewilderment that the airport we were currently sitting in was apparently closed???? :confused:

I asked a member of staff who denied the airport was closed. Five minutes later there was an announcement that it was indeed closed and we were all to make our way to baggage reclaim. Best of all they wanted everyone who bought duty free to return it! Needless to say that didn't happen. But literally within half an hour we all had our bags and were kicked out of the airport. All airline staff had already left so we were left stranded. Luckily I had a place to stay but I'm sure many weren't that lucky.

I wasn't due to work until 4pm on the Tuesday so there was still a chance I could get an early flight home and not get caught. So I called Aer Lingus who were able to move me to the next available flight from Gatwick. Unfortunately that was on Thursday! Turns out there was space on a flight from Luton the next morning so I took that. So bright and early I arrived at Luton to be told the flight is cancelled as the cabin crew were delayed last night and didn't get sufficient time off to be able to work again. :mad:

So back to London I go. I booked onto a flight the next day (Wednesday) from Birmingham and had to ring my boss to tell her I was stuck in London and wouldn't make it to work until late Wednesday or possible Thursday. Needless to say this didn't go down well. The next day I get the train to Birmingham and hear on the way up that Dublin Airport has closed due to ice on the runway! So once again I had to turn around and go back to London.

Finally I was booked onto a flight from Heathrow to Cork on the Thursday. Thankfully this flight went ahead and I landed on Irish soil. However my car was in Dublin! :rolleyes: So I hopped on the bus to Waterford arriving around 10pm and went to work Friday morning!

As luck would have it my girlfriend was actually flying into Cork late the next day, coming home for Christmas. So after work I caught the train to Dublin, bus out to the airport, picked up my car and drove in terrible snow for 4 hours to get to Cork to pick her up, before driving us both back to Waterford.

Worst week of my life! But at least I got the job! :D

I must add I did initially try to get on a ferry after the first flight cancellation but every single one was fully booked. So if you are thinking of taking the ferry home for Christmas book it early.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

I'm pretty sure I've taken every possible flight route and alternative mode of transport to and from London.

As was mentioned before, I'd avoid the early Southend flight as it doesn't sync with the rail transport to the airport. I took it once and found that I'd have to arrive the night before - I didn't mind, I figured I could sleep on a bench in the airport. I arrived at 10pm the night before to find that the airport would shortly be closing. There is NOTHING in the area, so I just lay down outside the train station and froze my are off until the airport opened in the morning. That said, I did save a bit of money, so if you're as frugal as I am you might be happy to suffer!

I find the cheapest last minute option tends to be ryanair from Luton (I never have the luxury of booking in advance). You can either get there by train or by one of the many coaches serving the route. There are a few which leave from Victoria, but the easy coach tends to be the cheapest option. Last time I booked a return ticket from/to the airport for just 2 quid. Advise you book in advance online as they are closer to van size than bus size.

Sometimes take ryanair / ei from Gatwick whenever it works out cheaper. Rarely the case I find, but I prefer it as an airport if you're going to be hanging around.

Heathrow is the easiest option for me, but rarely works out cheaper. If ever the price comes in close though it is worth it for convenience sake seeing as I tend to be in West London and the tube takes you door to door. If I can book in advance Aer lingus tends to be cheapest but last time I took BA which - for the first time - turned out cheaper.

Beyond that you could take the euro lines bus from Victoria as I often do (pretty much 13 hours each way) or the rail and sail which is pretty much the same.

If we're expecting a rough winter the ferry could end being a safer option. I'd have saved myself some pain a few years back during that mad one; I ended up having to spend 3 days in Gatwick.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

...if you are thinking of taking the ferry home for Christmas book it early.
    I remember getting the ferry on Christmas Eve a couple of years ago, when it was apparently fully booked, but there were loads of empty seats on board. I think a lot of people book it as a back-up but end up travelling by alternative means.
    vard wrote: »
    That said, I did save a bit of money, so if you're as frugal as I am you might be happy to suffer!
    Can’t really put a price on risking hypothermia.
    vard wrote: »
    Beyond that you could take the euro lines bus from Victoria as I often do (pretty much 13 hours each way) or the rail and sail which is pretty much the same.
    The sail and rail option is about 5 hours quicker than Eurolines from London to Dublin!

djpbarry wrote: »
    I remember getting the ferry on Christmas Eve a couple of years ago, when it was apparently fully booked, but there were loads of empty seats on board. I think a lot of people book it as a back-up but end up travelling by alternative means.
    The sail and rail option is about 5 hours quicker than Eurolines from London to Dublin!

Aha, well I've only done the rail and sail from Dublin to London. Ends up being the same duration; when the evening ferry gets in you have to wait around for hours in the depressing ****hole that is Holly head for the first train in the morning. Baffles me why the two services aren't linked, but I guess it must work better if you're going London to Dublin.

djpbarry wrote: »

Aha, well I've only done the rail and sail from Dublin to London. Ends up being the same duration; when the evening ferry gets in you have to wait around for hours in the depressing ****hole that is Holly head for the first train in the morning. Baffles me why the two services aren't linked, but I guess it must work better if you're going London to Dublin.

• Advertisement

'london' oxford airport anyone?!!

http://www.minoanair.com/en/About

Advertisement