Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spotify Launches in Ireland (Finally!!!)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Took them long enough :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Worth every cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

Sold!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

I am no too impressed by this, so maybe i am not fully clear as to its potential.

What advantages does spotify have over grooveshark?

Also, why would i go premium, what can i do that i cant on the free account?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Lombardo86 wrote: »
    I am no too impressed by this, so maybe i am not fully clear as to its potential.

Premium spotify means no adverts. Spotify is iPhone friendly. Its also legal. So you're playlists won't disappear suddenly after some law suit. Grooveshark has an impressive library, but I wonder whats the sound quality like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ive gone for the premium one, stacking up lots of songs in playlists now.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Lombardo86 wrote: »

Grooveshark's legality has always been questionable. That may or may not be an issue for you.

Spotify is one of the better streaming services IMHO because it has a dedicated app - most of the others stream through your browser which can be a bit flaky. Spotify can cache a lot of songs on your HD so generally doesn't suffer from skips and breakups while playing.

There's a load of apps within Spotify that I really like such as Pitchfork, Last.fm etc which make it easy to discover new music by reading the reviews directly within the application and then simply clicking on the Playlist button to play the entire album.

Spotify has loads of social gizmos as well so you can see and play what your Facebook friends are listening to.

The basic paid acccount just get's rid of the ads and the premium has high quality streaming plus offline access to songs and access on your phone, iPad etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

Thanks for that - For the moment i am happy enough with my playlists on grooveshark.

One advantage it definitely seems to have is the doscovery of new music which i like. I just dont know if i am arsed recreating playlists at this stage though

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭yknaa

Mushy wrote: »
    Ive gone for the premium one, stacking up lots of songs in playlists now.

If you cancel your subscription at any stage do you still get continued access to your playlists offline using your mp3 players?
    I am subscribed to emusic,com for years and find it great but wondering if I should swap over.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

yknaa wrote: »
    If you cancel your subscription at any stage do you still get continued access to your playlists offline using your mp3 players?
    I am subscribed to emusic,com for years and find it great but wondering if I should swap over.

I honestly dont know, I mainly got it cos dont have laptop/pc so neded premium sub for phone. I cant see why you would still get access, but maybe you do.

Based on last night, I heard a lot of cool stuff that I wouldn't bother paying for individually, but using it was cool. Can get so many recommendations that a tenner is very worthwhile for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I've just downloaded it but I can't get passed the "Welcome to Spotify" ad at the start. It says "show what I listened to on facebook" and has a box to tick or untick this option. When I close the window spotify logs me out and closes. How did you guys get passed this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Do I need to be a member of Facebook to use this? Sucks if I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Anybody have any cool playlists that they want to share??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Do I need to be a member of Facebook to use this? Sucks if I do.

No, you can sign up without being a member of Facebook.

Linkage.

I'm using the free trial for now, I like it. I'll probably sign up to after. Although I can see myself needing to up my data package on the phone also to accommodate! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

I'm using the free trial for now, I like it. I'll probably sign up to after. Although I can see myself needing to up my data package on the phone also to accommodate! :D

Switch to 3 pay as you go, 20 quid top up a month and unlimited data its very handy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I know it's largely stubbornness on my part but the minuscule percentage artists make from Spotify has so far prevented me from trying it.

As a background in case it's of interest to any: http://pitchfork.com/features/articles/8993-the-cloud/

I'd be interested in what folks here who have Spotify listed tracks reckon? In my case it's worth $0.01c per track which is the norm I think.

old gregg wrote: »
    I know it's largely stubbornness on my part but the minuscule percentage artists make from Spotify has so far prevented me from trying it.

As a background in case it's of interest to any: http://pitchfork.com/features/articles/8993-the-cloud/

I'd be interested in what folks here who have Spotify listed tracks reckon? In my case it's worth $0.01c per track which is the norm I think.

Yes the business model looks a bit strange. I read an interview with Spotify founder, Daniel Ek (can't find the damn thing anywhere) and he's well aware of the criticisms Spotify is receiving regarding artist royalties. He does say though that a lot of those critics are missing the point. Once you buy a cd or an iTunes download, that's it, there is no more revenue from that purchaser for that piece of music. Pay per play is unlimited, the revenue is tiny but it has the potential to scale upwards.

What's important too is that being on Spotify doesn't mean artists cannot still sell CDs, download or any other format/sales channel.

Strangely enough my purchases of CDs actually increased since I sttarted using Spotify - but maybe that's just me. I've certainly discovered a hell of a lot of new music through using the related artists feature.

I'm not saying the model is perfect and I think it will evolve a lot over the next few years but I think it's essentially a good thing for music.

Just found this article which adds some further information to the Spotify vs Artist debate:

http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2012/11/clearing-up-spotify-payment-confusion.html

So all is not what it seems, Spotify may not be as evil as many had thought.

Advertisement