Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The journey to becoming a pro fighter

Options
  • 13-11-2012 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone!

Well I've decided to finally keep a log of my training. I've been involved in martial arts for over six years now. I did karate for around four years, took a two year break and now I've been doing Muay Thai since September. I'm really enjoying the change but it has made me realise that I have become rather unfit since leaving karate.

Right now I am in a beginners class, I do Muay Thai twice a week for around two hours. 45 minutes of those classes are cardio, around 20 minutes for stretching and 55 minutes of pad work. So far I've been finding the work outs rather strenuous, but I've also been going to the gym four times a week.

Gym schedule:
    -15 minutes on the threadmil. 10 of these minutes is at a moderate intensity, 5 at a high intensity.
    -15 minutes on the bike. Intervals of 2 minutes moderate intensity, 1 minute high intensity.
    -Chest press. 10 reps. 3 sets. 10kg.
    -Lat pull down. 10 reps. 3 sets. 25kg.
    -Leg press. 10 reps. 3 sets. 35kg.

I've also been meaning to add some core work to my routine. Not sure whether to shift my routine around and have one day of cardio and weights, then one of cardio and core, or whether to do them all together. Will be back in the gym on Thursday morning so I'll try them all together and see if I can manage.

Core routine:
    -Ab crunches.
    -Obliques.
    -Leg raises.
    -Back extension.
    All at 3 sets and 20 reps.
    -Finish off with a 60 second plank.

I am rather new to all of this so if anyone has any suggestions please do let me know. :) I think one of my biggest issues is my diet, which I will have to sort out to get the most out of my sessions.

My short term goals are:
    -To be able to do an entire Muay Thai class with more ease.
    -To be able to jog/run 5k.
    -To be able to do clenches properly.

My medium term goals are:
    -To have my first amateur fight.
    -To be ready for competition is less than 6 months.

My long term goals are:
    -To get to an intermediate level in Muay Thai.
    -To train in Thailand for a summer in two/three years time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭chocolatechips

Muay Thai:

Missed the cardio at the start, but went on a fairly fast cycle beforehand.
    Difficulty level: 7/10. Had to take two breaks.

On to the gym tomorrow, for some cardio and weights.

Advertisement