Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, I'm back to getting a dog...

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

So, I havent updated in a little while because I wanted to let time pass and see what transpired!

Well, things are up and down. He's still very anxious if I'm not about and still bouncing off the door outside. Somedays he doesnt do it at all, and some days he's pretty consistent about doing it. Inside he has kinda gotten bored of getting on the counter tops but I've also gotten fed up of having to wash everything and put everything away or risk it getting dragged around the kitchen. So, operation "reclaim kitchen" has started and I'm making a nice indoors kennel for him starting this weekend. He wont like it one little bit, but its either that or he lives outside because I need a kitchen :)
    Hopefully he takes to it and I'l put lots of treats in there the first day.

Walks have been better and I can take him off the lead now, with care! Its hard to do it 7 days a week but so far we havent missed one. Mostly because he gets very ratty when he hasnt had a walk. (He'll actually paw at the cupboard with the leash if I am late walking him!).

On the plus side he's much more obedient now. I've trained him to do a few things such as stay and wait to be called through an open door. He mostly does it but he seriously is like a teenager, the slightest thing will distract him and if he's off the leash, he pretty much blanks me unless I walk away.

He's also a lot of fun in the evenings when he's less mental. Little quirks of his personality are coming out. He's a cute hoor when he wants to be. Lazy as sin sometimes and the single most curious living entity I've ever encountered. He cant *abide* things happening when he's not there or able to interact. Every single new thing MUST be snuffied until he's satisfied!

Walks are proving difficult because he's dragging like crazy on the leash. The behaviorist said "just stand stock still until he looks at you and then start again". In an hour we made it to 3 houses away and mostly thats because I cheated. He never looked back at me. We would still be standing out there. So, I have a Halti collar on order which he seemed ok with when I tried it in the shop. He doesnt like being held back by it but had no problem with it otherwise. My arm is literally sore from walking him at this stage so something has to be done. This seems like the most humane way.

I have ordered the bike attachment so we can go riding together! This will make things a lot easier too. Quick bike down to St Annes and then he can run around and get a good exercise. (Obviously not with the Halti on!).

The next question is neutering or not... I know its emotive but its something I have to consider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

DeVore wrote: »
    So, operation "reclaim kitchen" has started and I'm making a nice indoors kennel for him starting this weekend. He wont like it one little bit, but its either that or he lives outside because I need a kitchen :)
    Hopefully he takes to it and I'l put lots of treats in there the first day.

This is a good idea, but crate training or anything similar needs to be done slowly and gently or he will never settle and you are likely to make his issues with being away from you worse. There are a few good threads in the forum with loads of tips on how to do it. If you are consistent you should be able to do it quickly enough and without any stress.

It's all part of having a dog, you're probably going to feel like making him live outside for a myriad of little things but it's all part of the experience.

Walks are proving difficult because he's dragging like crazy on the leash. The behaviorist said "just stand stock still until he looks at you and then start again". In an hour we made it to 3 houses away and mostly thats because I cheated. He never looked back at me. We would still be standing out there. So, I have a Halti collar on order which he seemed ok with when I tried it in the shop. He doesnt like being held back by it but had no problem with it otherwise. My arm is literally sore from walking him at this stage so something has to be done. This seems like the most humane way.

I have ordered the bike attachment so we can go riding together! This will make things a lot easier too. Quick bike down to St Annes and then he can run around and get a good exercise. (Obviously not with the Halti on!).

Did the trainer go into any prep work with you and lead walking? Exercises to do in the house, out your back garden etc? It won't work very well just to bring him outside, stand still and hope he looks at you. You have to teach it in steps.
    The next question is neutering or not... I know its emotive but its something I have to consider.

Both of my boys are done. I wanted to spare them the upset of being able to smell a bitch in heat and not being able to get near them. I also wanted, above all, to avoid them accidentally creating more unwanted puppies.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

So, today hasnt been a good day. Came down to find that my previously unmolested table covering has been chewed to oblivion. This is the last straw and on the weekend I'm constructing a crate for him. I have a woodworking workshop out the back and couple of 8x4's not doing anything and I'm going to build a kennel for him for inside the kitchen. I love having him around in the evening and he loves to be inside, but I need to be able to control the wonton destruction.

Today I seriously thought about whether this can work long term to be honest because he's relentlessly persistent in wanting to be with me. If theres anything between us he slams/chews/barks at it. If I'm not there, anything is a target for chewing. If I *am* there I get zero peace during the day as he wants to play play play. Today my patience is tested not just because of him but he's definitely not helping.
    I dunno that I can manage this dog or that its fair to keep a dog this energetic as a single bloke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

This might sound weird, but have you considered getting a companion for him? Being, most likely, a foxhound he may well be used to being in a pack so being by himself could be very stressful. A second dog would help to remove you as his sole focus, and the playing would help to tire him out. The down side being that his behaviour could rub off on the new dog. Perhaps you could look at fostering to see how it would work for you, or maybe you know someone who'd be delighted to have somewhere to leave their dog while they're away at work and know that you'll keep an eye on them.

Obviously in terms of food and vet bills two dogs is more expensive, but in terms of actual work it's the same because you'd be walking both together.

Hound breeds can be very trying alright, because they've never really been bred for trainability, more for scent and endurance. They are most definitely pack animals.

You're doing fantastically with him. We've all had moments (or days, or weeks, or even years) where we wonder if we've taken on too much, and we want to pull our hair out in frustration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I genuinely think a second dog would be a help. It might sound like double trouble, but i think it will take his main focus off you and onto the other dog to be honest. He sounds like a needy, high energy fella but having a playmate may tone down the neediness to be with you all the time. He may very well have grown up as part of a hound pack so literally doesnt know how to be on his own.

We ALL have bad days dont forget that. I've had a foster dog with a MAJOR peeing issue for the last 4 weeks and im literally following her around with a mop until we find out whats wrong with her,but all i can think about is my poor wooden floors :o

• Advertisement

Oh, and DeV, go watch some episodes of It's Me Or The Dog, and see how bad it could be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Oh we have all reached this point as dog owners believe me! I swore I was giving Frodo away after 2 weeks of him howling the house down at night and the chewing of our hall banister until it was covered from top to bottom in tooth scraps and marks. Not to mention the countless 'accidents' in the house. But I would never have gone through with it, I was exhausted and sleep deprived as he was (and thankfully still is) part of the family. So trust me when I say we have all been there.

The best advice I can give you now is crate training him. Seriously this will be a GOD send to you. It takes work but within a few weeks he will see that as his own 'den' and his own 'space'. We have Frodo crated at night to sleep. As he is still young we still lock it at night but in a few months we are going to try leaving it open. There are tons of entries on here about crate training so I wont list it all again but you will find all the advice you need with very little hassle.

With the crate training it means when you need an hour or two of peace during the day you can crate him so that he knows it is quiet time. Reward him for being quiet and behaving when you need to get things done. After a few months of this he will know he doesnt need to be with you every single second of the day.

As for the chewing, we relied on an antichew spray from the pet shop. We sprayed everything in the house and thankfully the chewing stopped. He didnt like the bitter taste. To adhere to his chew needs we got him chew toys, for the first week or so we gave him treats when he played with them. He quickly learned these were his toys not our banister. at the end of the day dogs like to chew. just spend time training him to know what he can and cant chew.

Just dont give up yet, it takes work but it is worth it in the end. Try to get him into a routine and he will quickly learn when play time, walk time and quiet time is. Stick to this established routine for a few months so he doesnt get confused.

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Just another "we've all been there". I had my rescue dog home over a year and he still has the odd day where he does something completely unacceptable. He was a chewer and a bed destroyer but we thought that he grew out of it until last October we came home after only being out for an hour or so to find that he managed to drag a feather filled pillow down off a shelf in one of the sheds, rip it open and spread feathers EVERYWHERE around the back of the house, the wind did a good job spreading them even further and then it started drizzling so they stuck to the ground. :eek:.

That wasn't even his worst misdemeanor. He was only home a month (and gone through a couple of beds) when he chewed all the spotlights and the electrical control box on the decking. Then he chewed the electrical cables on OHs trailer. OH fixed them and he went back and did the same thing again!

We've all had those days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Yeah,hang on in there. Make sure he has kong toys stuffed with goodies and go to an obedience class. The rewards far outweigh the frustrations. You know it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'd suggest you just buy/borrow a crate - making a wooden one will probably be a waste of time because if he's still very anxious he'll just chew/scratch at it? A wire crate can be folded and moved as needed and you can progress to covering it with a blanket/sheet etc as he gets more confident - going by my own experience with my dog I wouldn't say he's ready for a covered crate/kennel? He's only small so you'll get one cheaply enough - I have one from Jebb that i used when my dog was on crate rest and it's fine except the bolt things seem a bit short and he's able to open some crates (lol) so I used Velcro straps to be safe! :p

http://www.jebbtools.ie/animal-products/dog-crates-ireland.html

We've all had moments where we question ourselves - especially when things don't to according to plan! But you'd learnt the same lesson i think we've all had to learn at some stage - sometimes you need a plan b or c or d because you're dealing with an individual (like all dogs) who won't always do things according to your plans or how books/the Internet say it should happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I will add to the 'we've all been there' thread! My first rescue dog chewed door frames, skirtings, tried to rip up the carpet (and nearly succeeded) and books when he was left alone. He would follow me round the house (I lived in a bungalow at the time), when I had a shower he would sit outside the door, I just ignored him (although it did make me chuckle when he would sit at the shower door gazing in).

I would then leave him into my aunty & uncles house about 1/4 mile up the lane, he used to escape (and he was inside the house but would wait for an open door) and run up the lane back to my house (I wasn't there) and wait at the front door, my uncle would cycle up and bring him back on a lead, he would do this many times if he could get out the door (they did wise up eventually!), it honestly took a good 6 months for this behaviour to stop, we just ignored it, never reprimanded him or anything, I figured he had a tough time in the past and now he was attached to me and that was fine, he'd eventually figure out I wasn't going anywhere. Cut to 5.5 years later and he's a total couch potato, he only follows me to the dog food cupboard these days!!

Since we're all sharing:

As soon as the first frost of winter hits Tegan forgets that I toilet trained her and starts weeing in a corner because she doesn't want to go out in the cold and wet.

Every. Fúcking. Winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

kylith wrote: »
    Since we're all sharing:

As soon as the first frost of winter hits Tegan forgets that I toilet trained her and starts weeing in a corner because she doesn't want to go out in the cold and wet.

Every. Fúcking. Winter.

Lol. My 14 year old blind collie has taken to taht as well. but I forgive him. he's old and blind. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭notlongleft

keep at it daddy Dev you'll get there and it's sooo worth it in the end. Try the crate training or even pen training, we are out most of the day so we have gone with the pen route and our pup loves it. He took to it straight away and runs straight for it if anything scares him or if he s sulking with mammy and daddy! Best investment we had!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Since we're all sharing:

Every. Fúcking. Winter.

Haha!

When something unsettling happens my dog (unfamiliar people stay the night, I rescue a stray, after we go on holiday), he makes his displeasure known by sh*tting all over my kitchen floor at night for a week or so. I've cried with frustration over him more than once but overall he's worth it! Hang in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭ameee

We all have days like that a few months ago i came down and our dog had removed the carpet from the bottom stair. Another time he destroyed part of the kitchen presses but he has settled down now but i don't leave him in the house when i go out as i would have no house to come back to! He sleeps in the house but i have to let him out at seven or he starts eating the walls. Sometimes it can be hard they can wear you down but hang in there give him some more time to adjust

doubter wrote: »
    Lol. My 14 year old blind collie has taken to taht as well. but I forgive him. he's old and blind. :o

Old and blind, it's understandable. Middle aged and lazy, it's infuriating.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

My wolfhound ripped the door off the oven as he was hungry and there was a delicious casserole inside :(

The door couldn't be replaced.
    The cooker was one of those big stove things with eight hobs

The only mitigation for him is that he had undiagnosed pancreatic insufficiency.

Fecker ate it all too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Haha suckers! My dog is asleep in front of the fire, peaceful* and sweet. :p:p

* tempts fate just for the sheer stupid hell of it: awaits doom, predicts new boots will be first against the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Since we're all sharing:

Every. Fúcking. Winter.

I'm laughing out loud but I feel your pain. Every time I thought I'd cracked the house training with my pup Henry, we'd get a spell of wet weather and he'd start peeing against the curtains. He's almost a year and a half old now and I still don't trust him!

OP, as you can see we all go through phases when we want to strangle the dog. It may or may not get better but you'll learn to plan your life and home around it. ;) I'd second tk's suggestion of a metal crate. He'll probably feel more secure in one and the fact that they're portable is so handy. I took mine on holiday to Kerry with me last year ; l don't think I'd have been brave enough to stay in someone else's property without it.

• Advertisement

God damn... you all make me feel like I'm whinging over nothing hahah, he's great at house training and sleeps until 10. I'm just a bit over-rought by the whole thing, its a bit like being a single-parent I would imagine, they really demand a lot of attention. Though I guess Child Protection services would frown on you throwing a bone at a 6 month old to shut them up :):)

This evening he has been good as gold after another Battle Of The Kitchen this afternoon when he snapped at me and unceremoniously ended up back out in the garden. When I let him back in about 5 minutes later, he was a different dog and stayed in his bed for about 2 hours. He's happily gnawing on an old bone now and pouncing on his Kong Wobbler when its not looking, like a doggie ninja. My nerves are frayed but c'est la vie... seconds away, tomorrow is round 2 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

DeVore, there were days when I was training Jack that I would go to bed in tears, convinced that I had an a**hole dog who was determined to break my brain.
    When you're on your own trying to teach them what's what and they absolutely are not giving you an inch or are doing the 'learn one new thing, forget three things you taught them last week' game, it can be very hard.

So um yeah, I'll share here and this is something I don't tell a lot of people but when Meg was about a year old, she went through this phase where she would go over and stealth lick my grandmother's face while she was lying on the couch. I had, I thought, sorted out this behaviour when one afternoon all the dogs and my grandmother were lying down and I got up to put a cup in the kitchen which was literally the next room. I heard this shriek a mere second after I had stepped over the threshold and I rushed back in to discover that Meg had leapt onto my grandmother and was licking her face as though it were smeared in peanut butter.

There was war. My grandmother threatened to punch me, told me to send Meg back to hell where she'd come from and spent the next two hours spitting and cursing at me in Irish. Of course, Meg went back to bed and fell fast asleep, completely unperturbed.

Did I mention my grandmother was one hundred years old at the time? Because she was. She reconciled with us both eventually but after that she was prone to calling Meg Baby B*tch and I was Big B*tch. :o

Not our best moment.

So you know, things happen and sometimes it's nobody's fault, just bad timing and stuff and people and dogs should be given a chance!! [/clutches at straws, tries to save face and not seem like heartless granddaughter who prides dogs over grandmother so tries last ditch chance at flattery].
    Did I mention you all have beautiful pets? Because you do!!!! :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

God damn... you all make me feel like I'm whinging over nothing hahah, he's great at house training and sleeps until 10. I'm just a bit over-rought by the whole thing, its a bit like being a single-parent I would imagine, they really demand a lot of attention. Though I guess Child Protection services would frown on you throwing a bone at a 6 month old to shut them up :):)

This evening he has been good as gold after another Battle Of The Kitchen this afternoon when he snapped at me and unceremoniously ended up back out in the garden. When I let him back in about 5 minutes later, he was a different dog and stayed in his bed for about 2 hours. He's happily gnawing on an old bone now and pouncing on his Kong Wobbler when its not looking, like a doggie ninja. My nerves are frayed but c'est la vie... seconds away, tomorrow is round 2 :)

Get a metal crate, and make it the home of ALL high value treats in the house, his kong, his bones, etc. The ultimate greatest value treat of course is unfettered time with you, use that too.

Make it comfy with a couple of layers of vetbed.

Teach him a word that means "go in your crate"

What age is he DeV? I'd also think about neutering if he's around the 18 month plus mark.

Have you thought about going to a training class too?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭nemo32

I applaud you, i think you hit the single parent thing on the head and especially since he's your first.
    When we first got my guy i would end up in tears regularly and my poor oh would come home each evening to me saying 'i can't cope and you have no idea what its like all day'. It was my first dog and his 50th id say. He would look at me like i was crazy and think to himself is this worth it, did we have our first child over night and he was not made aware of it.

He would cry, scrap, bark if i left the room to go to the bathroom, wake at 7 every morning, not go outside without barking [Kong, toys, blanket, favorite treats in tow] and crying until i let him in, sometimes 2 hours at a time. I couldn't handle the worry that the neighbours were listening to this so we'd both cry together until i let him in, all be it hours later.
    Its so hard but the min oh suggested we get rid i would again cry! But had i been on my own i am sure i would be asking myself the same questions you are everyday.
    Crate, crate and more crate. Our guy sleeps in it at night with the door closed so you can get a good nights worry free sleep.

Our only issue is getting him to stay in there without crying when its not bedtime, but
    we're getting there :-/

Best of luck and i can feel an fm 104 phoneline night could be on the cards for you and all of us attention seeking, high anxiety dog owners :-)

Please be sure you train him to use the crate properly. I know your post was written in frustration, but I'm getting the impression you're hoping to get a crate and hope you can use it straight away. I could have read it TOTALLY wrong though.

I second the idea of getting a metal crate. It's fantastic for when you're bringing him visiting people too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Crate training will take time but it is worth it. We noticed an imrpovement after about 2 weeks and from then on Frodo kept getting better with the crate training. Now I am not saying he is a total angel now (10 months on from the introduction of the crate) - the other day he completely chewed up the mat at our front door when we left him alone in the hall - but from where he was back them, destructive with EVERYTHING, antsy, always jumping around, howling and crying when left alone at all, to where he is now is a massive improvement!! As a dog owner you have to know that for the first few years a new dog in your home wont be perfect but it is all part of the fun with being a dog owner.

I would agree with other posters when they say get a metal crate. If he is chewing at your table now imagine how he would go to town on a wooden crate. Plus the metal ones are so long lasting and can be folded up and brought anywhere so they always have their 'den' with them.

As for dogs being like kids, far from it - they are worse :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

I always called the crate "bedtime". At the start, I used to have to round them up to get them in there and it wasn't easy but as soon as one went in, that one got loads of attention and pets and the other would come a running to get in on the action. Then I'd do a settling down routine of talking quietly and rubbing them until they were relaxed and I'd close it and leave the room quietly.

I don't need the crate now but the bedtime command works now for their dog beds and they immediately go to lie on them and they get praised and I leave. Actually, a lot of the time now when I put on my coat and they see me pick up items not related to a dog walk, they go to bed straight away because they know I'm leaving the house.

But yeah, crates are a fantastic resource for keeping the dog safe and your belongings even safer.

Battle won, war still too close to call. :)

So, I got a Halti for Josh yesterday because the incessant pulling on the lead was actually starting to give me an elbow problem and had become painful. All the leash training and treat-bribing in the world was nothing compared to the awesomeness of the smells from the next tree. While he will wait for me to go through doors etc and is very submissive in many ways, he was putting down some really incredible power through tiny paws on our walks.

The final straw came when I saw a guy who's dog had his OWN lead in his mouth and was essentially walking himself alongside his owner. I looked down at my guy who had trapped himself around a lamp-post and was still wagging his tail! I asked him for advice in desperation and he said he had 3 dogs, all huge animals and he trained them all through Haltis and swore by them. His alsatian-cross was sooo well behaved, he never moved even when Josh effectively tried to climb on his head. (He just looked at his master like "any chance you can do something about this looper???).

Fast forward a week and I went and got a halti for Josh. Lets put it this way, Josh isnt hugely wild about it but also was less rebellious than I expected. He did try to rub it off his face a few times, ok LOTS of times but most of the walk he seemed very happy and only a little frustrated when he dashed forward to a particularly 'nuffie tree and found himself stymied by it. I made sure he could snuffle everything he normally would so he didnt feel deprived, just delayed and he seemed to get the message.

I took him off the leash and he had a good run around and rubbed his face a bit on the grass but seemed very happy and played a lot of High-Speed Drive-By with me :)

Got home, not knackered as usual, not stressed and not sore. Josh seemed to have a good time and is napping the whole thing off right now, so lets hope things continue to work out with it!

Now I start to design the crate... thats the next escalation :):)
    But I feel like today was a good day for both of us.

Got home, not knackered as usual, not stressed and not sore. Josh seemed to have a good time and is napping the whole thing off right now, so lets hope things continue to work out with it!

Now I start to design the crate... thats the next escalation :):)
    But I feel like today was a good day for both of us.

Once I got a handle on Harley's walking it made a huge difference in how much we enjoyed walks.

Are you dead set on having wooden parts on the crate instead of buying a foldable one? Don't forget that the folding crate will make it so much easier when you're going visiting anywhere & he's very very likely to chew on any wooden components.

Have you looked up crate training?

• Advertisement

I have yet to read up on crating, which will be my first port of call before anything else. When you say collapsable crate, I think we are talking about two different things, I mean to build about a 1-metre-square "kennel" as such, for inside the kitchen. It has more to do with constraining him while I'm not there than transport (which he's actually very good at, no car problems at all so far).

He doesnt chew the legs of the table or chairs (thank god and touch wood), which is a bit weird but I'm not complaining. He DOES chew small bits of wood and sticks which I dont allow on account of splinters etc.
    You've given me a good idea though. I could make this out of a wooden frame (I'm keen on wood because I have a woodworking workshop out the back!) and use chicken wire / wirefencing to pen him in. He doesnt like not being able to see whats going on, and that makes up a lot of his anxiety, so using fencing prevents him chewing, allows him to see and still constrains him to a nice space.

That sounds like a winner! Going to go read up on crating now.

Advertisement