Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, I'm back to getting a dog...

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

So, I took the plunge and closed the door on his crate a few nights ago. He was tired and while he wasnt all that happy about it, a nice pig's ear soon settled that dispute. I should make it clear, the "crate" is more the size of a huge kennel. Its 1M x 1M x 1.5M so its BIG. It fits his plastic bed, toys and drink/food bowls in there comfortably too.

That night passed remarkably peacefully, not a bother out of him. I have a house guest staying at the moment who came down before me and reported that Josh was either lying in or sitting in his bed for the whole hour before I got up. There wasnt a peep out of him.
    When I arrived, he was his usual energetic self and wanted OUT and wanted to play so I let him out immediately of course. Having not seen him quiet I was a bit worried that he had been frantic since walking up (most mornings its like he hasnt seen me in a week and don't I understand that he nearly DIED without me?!?!).

Once he was out he bounded around with his new found freedom but much to my surprise happily went in and out of his crate again within 5 minutes. I had been worried he would never set foot in it again.

So, three nights have passed without incident and while I'm greeted every morning with the same "LET ME OUT!!!" pawwing at the door, I suspect its because he wants to get out and play with his favourite two-legs rather than that he is stressed about confinement.
    He does whine when he knows I should be up and we should be getting ready for breakfast and our walk but that beats him hammering on the kitchen door and chewing up the tablecloth. He quite happily kips out there after his walk in the afternoon too.

So, thats another milestone passed and we're waiting to get his dog flap in so he can come and go as he pleases... that will definitely make things interesting! Cant wait to see what his doggie brain makes of that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Pabmac

Reminds me of the time when I came home after being out for an hour and my tiny little Charlie (cross between a Springer and a Setter) had eaten my three piece suite (Well the cushions anyway). Sadly, Charlie is no longer with us, but I'd dearly give up another three piece suite to have him back !!!

Have two Daschunds now, miniature, a smooth hair and a wired hair. They're perfect size for the house ! And they're not too partial to cushions :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

DeVore wrote: »
    So, I took the plunge and closed the door on his crate a few nights ago. He was tired and while he wasnt all that happy about it, a nice pig's ear soon settled that dispute. I should make it clear, the "crate" is more the size of a huge kennel. Its 1M x 1M x 1.5M so its BIG. It fits his plastic bed, toys and drink/food bowls in there comfortably too.

That night passed remarkably peacefully, not a bother out of him. I have a house guest staying at the moment who came down before me and reported that Josh was either lying in or sitting in his bed for the whole hour before I got up. There wasnt a peep out of him.
    When I arrived, he was his usual energetic self and wanted OUT and wanted to play so I let him out immediately of course. Having not seen him quiet I was a bit worried that he had been frantic since walking up (most mornings its like he hasnt seen me in a week and don't I understand that he nearly DIED without me?!?!).

Once he was out he bounded around with his new found freedom but much to my surprise happily went in and out of his crate again within 5 minutes. I had been worried he would never set foot in it again.

So, three nights have passed without incident and while I'm greeted every morning with the same "LET ME OUT!!!" pawwing at the door, I suspect its because he wants to get out and play with his favourite two-legs rather than that he is stressed about confinement.
    He does whine when he knows I should be up and we should be getting ready for breakfast and our walk but that beats him hammering on the kitchen door and chewing up the tablecloth. He quite happily kips out there after his walk in the afternoon too.

So, thats another milestone passed and we're waiting to get his dog flap in so he can come and go as he pleases... that will definitely make things interesting! Cant wait to see what his doggie brain makes of that :)

I shouldn't say it but its Friday so I will ... I told you so!! ;):p (to try a crate)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

tk123 wrote: »
    I shouldn't say it but its Friday so I will ... I told you so!! ;):p (to try a crate)
    heheh, I know! I would prefer not to have this big hunk of cast iron in my kitchen tbh. I would prefer a nice calm dog who was obedient and didnt chew everything and slam doors. What I got was Josh (and I love him :) ) so while I want to have just a nice bed in the corner (and I've given that a shot), the realities of the situation are that he needs a crate. Maybe when he's a little older he might not need it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

heheh, I know! I would prefer not to have this big hunk of cast iron in my kitchen tbh. I would prefer a nice calm dog who was obedient and didnt chew everything and slam doors. What I got was Josh (and I love him :) ) so while I want to have just a nice bed in the corner (and I've given that a shot), the realities of the situation are that he needs a crate. Maybe when he's a little older he might not need it...

Truth is when he's a bit older, calmer etc he probably won't need the crate, a nice bed in the corner will be just the ticket.

• Advertisement

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Truth is when he's a bit older, calmer etc he probably won't need the crate, a nice bed in the corner will be just the ticket.
    Great!

Any idea when that will be? :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Great!

Any idea when that will be? :)

Usually when the arthritis and incontinence sets in? Maybe 11/12? :pac:

As he settles and gets less destructive, he'll calm down.

Joshua's Big Day Out...

Joshua here!! DeVore left himself logged in HAHA! I'll tell you all about my Big Day Out!! First I went in The Sausage Man's car. He helped rescue me and he feeds me sausages. He's awesome and I love him and his car. We always go fun places in his car. Except that doctory place, they put things up my ... anyway... mostly we go fun places!

We went to a place called Beabeg Kennels. It was a big house with a big big garden. Bigger than mine and there were like hundreds of dogs. or 7. I dunno. I cant count. Imma dog!!! :)

I got very nervous because some of those dogs were big and had crazy eyes. They were probably on drugs. I didnt like those ones. The small ones were fun and I played with them mostly. There was a nice lady there. I liked her even though she said lots of things to me I didnt understand. So I just barked a bit.

Then DeVore left, I couldnt find him anywhere. Not even behind the tree or under my bed. I didnt like that bit but there were lots of new friends to play with and I'm sure he'll be back. The nice lady gave me dinner. I slept in my best new doggie friends bed!!! It was like a sleepover!

The next day was weird, but also great! No DeVore but then we went to the beach and beaches are better than DeVores anyway. Beaches are the best things in the world. Except bones. And belly rubs. Belly rubs totally are the best things in the world. And tennis balls. Anyway we went to the beach and had lots of running around and the nice lady gave me some of her steak sandwich cos I put on my big baby brown eyes! Ha Ha. Yoink! Suuuucker!

Then we drove back to my house and DeVore was there!! I dont know how he got there but I missed him sooooo much and he even let me jump up on him which I'm totally not allowed to do and he's the best thing in all the world!! Except bones.

I was so tired I went to sleep in my crate and slept like 67 hours. or 14. I dunno. I'm a dog, lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Glad it went well. That's the hard bit over now. Do you think you'll feel better about leaving him for a few days now?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Whispered wrote: »
    Glad it went well. That's the hard bit over now. Do you think you'll feel better about leaving him for a few days now?

Are you addressing DeV or Josh here, Whispered?
    :-p

• Advertisement

DBB wrote: »
    Are you addressing DeV or Josh here, Whispered?
    :-p

Josh of course. I have no interest in how DeV feels about anything, so long as Josh is happy.

:pac:

Josh of course.

:pac:

Feck...
    I hope Josh doesn't read the rest of the thread so :eek:

:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Joshua's Big Day Out...

Joshua here!! DeVore left himself logged in HAHA! I'll tell you all about my Big Day Out!! First I went in The Sausage Man's car. He helped rescue me and he feeds me sausages. He's awesome and I love him and his car. We always go fun places in his car. Except that doctory place, they put things up my ... anyway... mostly we go fun places!

We went to a place called Beabeg Kennels. It was a big house with a big big garden. Bigger than mine and there were like hundreds of dogs. or 7. I dunno. I cant count. Imma dog!!! :)

I got very nervous because some of those dogs were big and had crazy eyes. They were probably on drugs. I didnt like those ones. The small ones were fun and I played with them mostly. There was a nice lady there. I liked her even though she said lots of things to me I didnt understand. So I just barked a bit.

Then DeVore left, I couldnt find him anywhere. Not even behind the tree or under my bed. I didnt like that bit but there were lots of new friends to play with and I'm sure he'll be back. The nice lady gave me dinner. I slept in my best new doggie friends bed!!! It was like a sleepover!

The next day was weird, but also great! No DeVore but then we went to the beach and beaches are better than DeVores anyway. Beaches are the best things in the world. Except bones. And belly rubs. Belly rubs totally are the best things in the world. And tennis balls. Anyway we went to the beach and had lots of running around and the nice lady gave me some of her steak sandwich cos I put on my big baby brown eyes! Ha Ha. Yoink! Suuuucker!

Then we drove back to my house and DeVore was there!! I dont know how he got there but I missed him sooooo much and he even let me jump up on him which I'm totally not allowed to do and he's the best thing in all the world!! Except bones.

I was so tired I went to sleep in my crate and slept like 67 hours. or 14. I dunno. I'm a dog, lol!

And the transformation from non dog owner to person consumed by dog is almost complete.

All that's missing now are Josh having a facebook and twitter account :D

(I actually know people who have these for their dogs :) )

Stheno wrote: »

(I actually know people who have these for their dogs :) )

SO! :mad:

SO! :mad:
    Nothing wrong with that at all, I was saying it to illustrate to DeV that it's perfectly normal

One of my favourite facebook pages is a dog :)

Nothing wrong with that at all, I was saying it to illustrate to DeV that it's perfectly normal

Oh I was only joking and forgot to add the :p

Actually I got Josh a twitter account the day I got him. He's @DevsDog (https://twitter.com/DevsDog )
    He hasnt quite worked out the capslock key yet. :(

:)

In fairness to him, his typing is pretty good considering his lack of opposable thumbs :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

One of my dogs has a FB account, he has way more friends than I do. He lied about his age though, as you have to be 13, not sure if the rules take into the account the doggie age thing.

Actually I got Josh a twitter account the day I got him. He's @DevsDog (https://twitter.com/DevsDog )

This is what you need :D

426066_536161653081755_1856359508_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Now its been about a week and things are going really great. The crate is going down well. He doesnt like being left in it but not more so then he liked being left in the kitchen before this... The plus side is that I know he's not wrecking stuff and I dont have to dog-proof the kitchen when I leave for 15 minutes. :)

Lately things have been great, we seem to have reached a better place where he's more calm about things. I've been very strict with myself about consistency because the only really clear signal from all the opinions and documents I've ingested is that rescue dogs need consistency to chill out :)

So, the rewards are sticking around and getting better in fact, while the negatives are dissipating ... which is good! Josh still likes to go in his crate (though he's cute enough to not want to volunteer when I've put on my coat and gotten my keys :) ).

Tomorrow I'm getting a hole knocked in my house to put his dog flap in so that he can choose, himself, if he wants to be in the house or outside (with a lock so I can veto that decision if needs be :) ). Cant wait to see how that goes down! :)

Now its been about a week and things are going really great. The crate is going down well. He doesnt like being left in it but not more so then he liked being left in the kitchen before this... The plus side is that I know he's not wrecking stuff and I dont have to dog-proof the kitchen when I leave for 15 minutes. :)

Lately things have been great, we seem to have reached a better place where he's more calm about things. I've been very strict with myself about consistency because the only really clear signal from all the opinions and documents I've ingested is that rescue dogs need consistency to chill out :)

So, the rewards are sticking around and getting better in fact, while the negatives are dissipating ... which is good! Josh still likes to go in his crate (though he's cute enough to not want to volunteer when I've put on my coat and gotten my keys :) ).

Tomorrow I'm getting a hole knocked in my house to put his dog flap in so that he can choose, himself, if he wants to be in the house or outside (with a lock so I can veto that decision if needs be :) ). Cant wait to see how that goes down! :)

Do you ever look back a few months and think how far you guys have come along?

You know you can get dog flaps programmed to only accept certain microchips?

I've been looking back alright and its amazing how far we've come. From the days when I couldnt leave the kitchen or he would bounce off the door to today when I can leave to go upstairs and he will sometimes only just raise his head to see if I'm going up the stairs (which is ok!) or if I'm going out the door (which demands observation and the odd bark). There's a lot of things like that I can look back like that and see the progress we've made together...

I still worry that something bad will happen due to my lack of experience and people will say "what?! you did that with him?? but EVERYONE knows you NEVER do that with a dog?!" ... sounds crazy but its true. :)

He's still incredibly clingy and gets very frustrated if he's not near me. We were putting his his dog flap today and I took him outside, gave him a bone, water and his bed in the garden and tied him by the leash to the iron washing-line pole. He wasnt having it and gnawed through the leash. First I knew of it was when I had a foxhound in my lap. He really hates not being in the middle of things...

I've been looking back alright and its amazing how far we've come. From the days when I couldnt leave the kitchen or he would bounce off the door to today when I can leave to go upstairs and he will sometimes only just raise his head to see if I'm going up the stairs (which is ok!) or if I'm going out the door (which demands observation and the odd bark). There's a lot of things like that I can look back like that and see the progress we've made together...

I still worry that something bad will happen due to my lack of experience and people will say "what?! you did that with him?? but EVERYONE knows you NEVER do that with a dog?!" ... sounds crazy but its true. :)

He's still incredibly clingy and gets very frustrated if he's not near me. We were putting his his dog flap today and I took him outside, gave him a bone, water and his bed in the garden and tied him by the leash to the iron washing-line pole. He wasnt having it and gnawed through the leash. First I knew of it was when I had a foxhound in my lap. He really hates not being in the middle of things...

what?! you did that with him?? but EVERYONE knows you NEVER do that with a dog? :p :pac:

If you're tying him he needs to be under close supervision. They can strangle themselves very very easily and quickly.

yes, and I wouldnt be keen to do that again after this morning. Lesson learned!!

The dog flap is in and its just a bit too small. Josh can get in and out of it but if he grows any bigger we will have to redo it. Quite p*ssed off about that but for the moment thats how things are... he's a bit dubious about using it but he has come in and out a few times now on his own after a concerted treat-fest training session earlier.

Such are the joys of dog ownership I suppose. I should have gotten a fish. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭nemo32

yes, and I wouldnt be keen to do that again after this morning. Lesson learned!!

The dog flap is in and its just a bit too small. Josh can get in and out of it but if he grows any bigger we will have to redo it. Quite p*ssed off about that but for the moment thats how things are... he's a bit dubious about using it but he has come in and out a few times now on his own after a concerted treat-fest training session earlier.

Such are the joys of dog ownership I suppose. I should have gotten a fish. :)

Yeah but a fish would have never been able to update us lot with days events on boards ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My dogs and cats have Facebook pages curtesy of my daughter (although she doesn't update them lately) and you can get around the age restrictions by creating the page as a public figure I think.

So, its a week later and the dog flap is certainly working out. I've reclaimed the kitchen now and dont feel so bad about putting him in the crate if I have to leave as now he, in effect, has the keys to the house and can go out into the garden whenever he likes.

I went away this weekend for the first of a couple of trips. He spent 3 nights up in Beabeg House and he seems to really like it! He arrived home and bounced all over me and seemed to want to actually climb onto my head! He's hilarious when he hasnt seen me for a while, he tries to get as much of his body in contact with mine as is possible, entwining himself around my legs and then his head into my chest. I sat on the couch last night and gave him a load of rubs and the noises of happiness that came out of him were a laugh (he's a big one for making "talky" noises). He lay there like he was in doggie heaven and whenever I tried to stop he would open his eyes and I'd get a "noooo" out of him! Then he went to bed at 8 and slept until 10 this morning more or less solid. He was absolutely knackered from a weekend of playing with other dogs!

So thats phase 2 of "separation management" done, next is the middle of March when I'm away for 8 days so we'll have to see how that goes but he seems to have no issues so far...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

That's good to hear Dev sounds like ye are getting into a routine. Im on my way to Beabeg actually to drop Lexi off for the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

ISDW wrote: »
    One of my dogs has a FB account, he has way more friends than I do. He lied about his age though, as you have to be 13, not sure if the rules take into the account the doggie age thing.

Oh this explains it, was trying to set up a page for Archie a while back and it wouldn't let me, I didn't know the minimum age! I'll have another go so, he's still 'pawsevering' with his request (I know, sorry)

Advertisement