Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, I'm back to getting a dog...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Whoa Whoa Whoa..Hang on a sec now.. I was on FB earlier looking at Beabeg's page and there was this angelic looking little dog named Josh - fast asleep in his bed and you can almost make out his halo in the photo. Surely DeVore this isn't your Josh ;):p

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Oh you mean this little fella?

8348165968_0081f66e5b_n.jpg
    Hello you! by devoresphotos, on Flickr

I see you met the delightful Saint Joshua of North Dublin, yes... thats him.

But he has his moments of demonhood...

8450000685_b6e5c6a087_n.jpg
    I MADE A HOLE!! LOL by devoresphotos, on Flickr

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

tk123 wrote: »
    Whoa Whoa Whoa..Hang on a sec now.. I was on FB earlier looking at Beabeg's page and there was this angelic looking little dog named Josh - fast asleep in his bed and you can almost make out his halo in the photo. Surely DeVore this isn't your Josh ;):p
    Angelic is how the feckers get ya. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭doughef

Devore,

Was that you and Josh I seen runnnig near Firhouse yesterday?

I seen a dog like Josh happily taking his human friend on a light jog.

I understand there are many dogs like Josh around but I just thought it might be!

(Long time lurker - first time poster on this thread :))

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Nope, I live out near Coolock!

So, havent updated in a while. Right now I'm sitting in hot and humid Aruba while Josh is off having a week and a bit with his new best friends up in Drogheda. He seems to really like it there and certainly was ready to go when he was picked up on Sunday!!
    I think *I* have more separation anxiety about this trip than he has!

Things have calmed down into a routine now at home with the crate and dog flap being a wonderful addition to the place. He's shedding quite a bit now, which he didnt do in Nov/Jan so I'm hoping its just a seasonal thing because its gone "a few stray hairs" to "did someone slaughter a wookie in here?!?"

I washed him for the first time too, to try and get rid of some of them and boy.. that was a laugh. Will try to find time between body-surfing and cocktails to write about that (don't hate me :p)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

DeVore wrote: »
    . He's shedding quite a bit now, which he didnt do in Nov/Jan so I'm hoping its just a seasonal thing because its gone "a few stray hairs" to "did someone slaughter a wookie in here?!?"

I washed him for the first time too, to try and get rid of some of them and boy.. that was a laugh. Will try to find time between body-surfing and cocktails to write about that (don't hate me :p)

That's just moulting be grateful you've a short haired dog.

Generally dogs can moult (lose unnecessary hair) once or twice a year so's to adapt to changing weather conditions, so in this case he's shedding to adapt to nicer weather, that's my understanding anyway :)

So, its been a while since I updated because I was away on holidays. Josh was on holliers too and when I got back I was greeted by the usually madly desperate attempt to get onto my head.

Josh by all accounts had had a great time but he was quite a bit thinner then when I left him. I know the lady who looks after him does a great job with him and she said he ate twice a day so I can only think that he ran himself absolutely ragged with the other dogs and signs on that the next 2 days consisted of him sleeping pretty much all the time. Even that night when I enticed him to play, with his favourite ball, he wasnt really all that interested and pretty quickly went to his crate and flumped down for the night. He was tired for the next two days straight and while not out of sorts, he wasnt his usual explosively-energetic self!

I washed him for the first time and that was a scream. I thought it would be a wrestling match but I leashed him to a drainpipe outside and used the hose (with warm water from the kitchen!). He wasnt best pleased but curiously didnt really rebel... just stood there looking at me like "I thought we were mates, how could you do this to me!!". When he was shampooed and rinsed, I dried him a bit and then let him go. In an instant he went from "tolerating this under duress" to "I want to run around the garden as fast as possible" and then into the house, around the kitchen and finally gave himself the mother and father of all shakes, right there in the middle. Thanks mate.... couldnt do it outside eh?

So, now he is back to his usual self but somehow still is calming down a bit. Its 4 months (is it really only 4 months?? omg...) since I rescued him. He has really changed quite a bit and while still very clingy to me, seems to be calming a bit. When I go to leave or put him in his crate, its gone from desperation and stressed to frustration and annoyance. In the evenings he doesnt even complain now when he is closed in for the night (he has permanent access to the yard via a dog-flap from his crate).

Certain idiosyncrasies in his personality are coming to the fore. He's very clever about when I want to trick him into his crate for the day and lets me know he's not happy. He's quite capable of displaying his frustration about things when he doesnt get his way (very capable at times!). Things like that are both worrying and a joy to see emerge from him! He's a cheeky wee chancer so he is!

Caring for him has turned from a "big deal" into part of my routine. He gets his breakfast with me in the morning. A walk at lunch time and dinner in the evening. Everything else, is optional depending on my day. Sometimes I have plenty of time to play with him and he has a ball, sometimes I have to get stuff done and I'm just too busy so too bad Josh :(
    I would seriously counsel anyone who is single to think carefully about getting a dog because when there is a couple or a family sharing the responsibility it really makes it easier to handle. When you are the ONLY one then everything is on you. Even one other person halves the work load....

So there you are, Josh is doing well and has seriously settled in at this point and is starting to be cheeky as all get out! But if you have never seen your dog jumping into the air to gulp flakes of snow... it is a *singular* enjoyment :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

A tip the next time you're washing him is to wash his head last. Dogs automatically want to shake as soon as water goes near their eyes/ears. Also get them outside straightaway as you've just learned as they WILL destroy every wall within a 6ft distance :D or throw the whole towel over him and let him shake while he's under it.

I hear ya about its nice to have someone to share the work. I have a foster dog for the last 3mths (was only meant to be for 2 weeks) and my social life has taken a drastic nose dive as i have to be home much earlier than i used to and can't stay overnight somewhere unless i get someone to mind her,which i never had to think about with the cat.

Actually I had him outside and washed his head last alright. He wasnt too obstreperous during the washing but as soon as it was over and I had toweled him a bit, he went on a mad one and then ran *inside* to shake!

He's some dog for one dog :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Actually I had him outside and washed his head last alright. He wasnt too obstreperous during the washing but as soon as it was over and I had toweled him a bit, he went on a mad one and then ran *inside* to shake!

He's some dog for one dog :)

You need to be smarter - close the crate so he can't get out when he goes through the flap, and put a towel over the crate to absorb the splashes. And close the back door ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Trust me D the inside shake was deliberate. A case of "innocent me?...". My last guy was very clean, used to groom himself like a cat, which was odd. Anyway, one day on a walk we came across a bit of roadkill and of course he rolls in it like it was bubble bath. The hairy bastid. So after me pointing at him in an accusatory way; "no way are you getting in my car you smelly feck!", I get home and break out the hose. This did not go down well and after avoidance and shenanigans and a few mock attacks on both sides I end up as soaked as him.

Still no shake from the bugger. He looked at me with "feck off" eyes, so I went inside locked the back door and watched and waited. Would he shake? Not a chance, just stood there motionless with murder in his eyes. This went on for nigh on an hour, neither of us budging. Finally he looked, turned 180 degrees around, presented his arse and shook.

Grand I think and let him in. I go to make a cup of tea standing proud that I'd won this test of wills. Just as the kettle hit the boil I hear a crash and go to "his" room and there he is after upending his water bowl(which was a big old mixing bowl with a couple of litres involved). He had picked it up and carried it around the room spilling water all over the shop, until finally he lost grip and it fell.

You hear about "dog whisperer" types who claim they can read dog signals. Well if they ever need to build a dictionary I can exactly describe the dog translation of "Fcuk you monkey boy"

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

^^^^^Trolled by a dog.:D

I know K and we reckon we domesticated them? Some eejits claim cats are sneaky. Not in my experience. In fact I reckon cats are way more honest than dogs in general. You know where you stand with a cat. You think you know where you stand with a dog and that right there is our undoing. If you have both a cat and a dog? May as well wear a pendant which says "I belong to Tibbles and Spot, if found please bring Monkey man/woman home as we're hungry and in need of amusement".

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

So, now he is back to his usual self but somehow still is calming down a bit. Its 4 months (is it really only 4 months?? omg...) since I rescued him. He has really changed quite a bit and while still very clingy to me, seems to be calming a bit. When I go to leave or put him in his crate, its gone from desperation and stressed to frustration and annoyance. In the evenings he doesnt even complain now when he is closed in for the night (he has permanent access to the yard via a dog-flap from his crate).

Certain idiosyncrasies in his personality are coming to the fore. He's very clever about when I want to trick him into his crate for the day and lets me know he's not happy. He's quite capable of displaying his frustration about things when he doesnt get his way (very capable at times!). Things like that are both worrying and a joy to see emerge from him! He's a cheeky wee chancer so he is!

So there you are, Josh is doing well and has seriously settled in at this point and is starting to be cheeky as all get out! But if you have never seen your dog jumping into the air to gulp flakes of snow... it is a *singular* enjoyment :)

It's sounds like you've gotten past the early trust issues you'll almost always get with a rescue. They're clingy because the poor creatures are afraid that you'll leave them & they'll end up back in the hellhole that is a kennel in a rescue ( and that's if their lucky ! ).

Every time you leave them, & then come back, you build trust & you gradually get to see the real personality of the dog you rescued, congrats, it sounds like Josh has found his Home ! :D

What do your dogs do all day??

I spend most of my day with Josh if I'm not out working somewhere, which at the moment is pretty rare. He sleeps about 3 hours in the afternoon after I run him ragged so I can have some peace but pretty much the rest of the time he wants to play. He makes this pretty clear by bringing over the ball we use to play Throw and Maybe Bring Back... and dropping it at my feet.

He can be pretty insistent about playing and if we dont, he will probably go back to sleep, or just lie down, or patrol his garden (needs regular patrolling apparently).

But my question really is, how much do you play with your dog per day (and how many people in your house do that)... and what do they do for the rest of the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭foreversky

My lad digs the flower beds to get to the buds of the flowers or to bury bones:eek: or taking branches of trees plays sleep .eats a bone some digging,.i throw his kong he's loves has 2 .one missing.have him 7 mths he's 9 mths.its been fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

My dog loves her walks so she gets at least two each day. Then she gets into her basket for a snooze but always keeping an ear out in case something exciting like the fridge door opening happens (there is always the chance in her mind that something may fall and that becomes hers:D). She likes to watch and follow me around the house to see what I am up to, one of her favourite things is to watch me baking again I guess in the hope there may be a spillage. So basically walks, sleeps and lives in hope of extra grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

My dog loves to people watch on top of the couch in the front room or follow me around the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Mine generally stays in the same room as me,just snoozing but comes over for the occasional snuggle. Sometime she'll take herself off to the sunspot at the back door. Other times she'll be sneaky and sit on the windowsill in whatever room I'm not in which is fine if I don't notice but when she can't help herself but bark at something passing that's the end of that. She will also do the follow me round the kitchen thing in the hope of spillage.

Walks to school at 9am and 3pm and one of these is usually extended anything up to an hour or once/ twice a week we'll go off for either jog or walk in the woods.

I let her out to the garden a bit but that usually doesn't last too long as she'll either a) get too barky at passing people/ other dogs or b) she'll be back at the door within 5 minutes wanting back in. She's happier if we're out there with her.

She doesn't go in to play mode really until 7.30-8pm and she gets her rope and waits for my OH to join her (every evening- same time-ish). We all have our role in her life.
    Me- 99.9 % of walks/ runs/ food giving/ vets/ grooming etc
    OH- play and cuddles
    Daughter- cuddles and training to jump through hoops and various other things for fun and treats.
    Son- cuddles.

So as long as I have done my bit re walks/ food in the day she doesn't ask anymore of me :)

tbh, I worry because outside of what I have described he doesnt get much other stimulation (he occasionally amuses himself with a toy or I give him a Kong but thats it). However it doesnt sound like your dogs are getting any more interactive stimulation then him so maybe I'm just being a bit overly concerned...

• Advertisement

tbh, I worry because outside of what I have described he doesnt get much other stimulation (he occasionally amuses himself with a toy or I give him a Kong but thats it). However it doesnt sound like your dogs are getting any more interactive stimulation then him so maybe I'm just being a bit overly concerned...

Apart from physical and mental stimulation the one thing that dogs love is spending company with their human companions and with your set up Josh gets it more than most. He has the best of both worlds, walks, playtime and you're home a lot more than most. He has the brilliant flap/crate set up which gives him the freedom to go in and out as he pleases so don't be concerned, you just have a very active, clever and attentive dog.

He does love the company of other dogs as well though so down the line a companion could be a real benefit for him. Having two dogs isn't anywhere near as daunting as it might seem, they expend a lot of energy playing with each other and it sort of lets you off the hook a bit:D. One thing about Josh is he doesn't do 'downtime' as much as other dogs. If there's a hint of action about he'll be on it before you know it, shift yourself on the chair to 'maybe' stand up? He's up before you are. Head to put on the kettle, he's in the kitchen space before you are. With the extra stimulation a companion could offer his focus won't be completely on what you're doing and he may well let the minutae things like you moving escape his radar. Although he is telepathic if you look in the direction of the treat press.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Devore your dog has all his little heart desires - food, walks, a warm and safe home, a human slave. He gets to meet people and other dogs for a sniff on his walks and has easy access to 'his' back garden to explore when he wants to. Dogs live in the now and dont concern themselves at all that the day ahead may be long or that today was not a very productive day. You seem to be doing a great job as a doggy daddy just keep going as you are.

Apart from physical and mental stimulation the one thing that dogs love is spending company with their human companions and with your set up Josh gets it more than most. He has the best of both worlds, walks, playtime and you're home a lot more than most. He has the brilliant flap/crate set up which gives him the freedom to go in and out as he pleases so don't be concerned, you just have a very active, clever and attentive dog.

He does love the company of other dogs as well though so down the line a companion could be a real benefit for him. Having two dogs isn't anywhere near as daunting as it might seem, they expend a lot of energy playing with each other and it sort of lets you off the hook a bit:D. One thing about Josh is he doesn't do 'downtime' as much as other dogs. If there's a hint of action about he'll be on it before you know it, shift yourself on the chair to 'maybe' stand up? He's up before you are. Head to put on the kettle, he's in the kitchen space before you are. With the extra stimulation a companion could offer his focus won't be completely on what you're doing and he may well let the minutae things like you moving escape his radar. Although he is telepathic if you look in the direction of the treat press.;)

I'm SOOO glad you have seen that side of him too, lol. He is either ready-to-rock... or asleep. He doesnt really do the "lying around" sort of thing and he's a constant ball of energy, even when he has been run and run in the park. Its like a 5 year old who cant keep their eyes open but wont go to bed!

You're bang on about the psychic stuff too, some how he knows when I'm getting up to do something for him or for me and yeah, he rockets over to "his" press to persuade me that maybe I'd like to look inside, perhaps? And if I found a lead in there, well... you know.. :rolleyes:

I'll have a think about the second dog but honestly, I dunno about that hahaha.... Maybe if I get a bigger place!

T.

I'm SOOO glad you have seen that side of him too, lol. He is either ready-to-rock... or asleep. He doesnt really do the "lying around" sort of thing and he's a constant ball of energy, even when he has been run and run in the park. Its like a 5 year old who cant keep their eyes open but wont go to bed!

You're bang on about the psychic stuff too, some how he knows when I'm getting up to do something for him or for me and yeah, he rockets over to "his" press to persuade me that maybe I'd like to look inside, perhaps? And if I found a lead in there, well... you know.. :rolleyes:

I'll have a think about the second dog but honestly, I dunno about that hahaha.... Maybe if I get a bigger place!

T.

Eh, I don't think I've even seen him in a deep sleep! He's always on high alert here, even when asleep, in case something might happen ie a bit of craic or somebody might want to go out to the toilet and that means a patrol of the garden:D. Whatever about you thinking he's not stimulated enough at home, here it's stimulation on steroids!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

What age is Josh Dev? I think with time and age a lot of these hyper tendencies start to settle a bit. A lot of what BLM said to describe Josh was also true of my dog and still is to an extent (God help us if I close my laptop!).
    A behaviorist told me that dogs "like her" would tend to start settling down a bit at about age 5. We're at 4.5 now (have her 2.5 years) and over the past couple of months I'm seeing small but very significant changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

My beagle really started to calm down when he was around three (he's just four now). He still has his "go bonkers" moments but he's a lot calmer now and tends to sleep more than he used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Dude, don't even talk to me about the psychic stuff! I can't even look over at my watch on the table or my hairslides because Meg is up and over to me like a shot ready for her walk and I've just barely had the thought that it's walk time! The other day I was sitting at the table working on stuff on my laptop, I put the lid on my pen and she jumped up and started throwing - THROWING - herself at the living room door and the wall because she apparently knew that I was considering taking our walk then instead of later that evening. I don't know how she does it but she knows every time. Damn dog can read me like a book. But then she's an open book to me too so I can always stop her before she gets to mischief.

This is the dog who when I go upstairs without her, to maybe close the curtains or bring clothes upstairs, jumps around me when I come back into the living room as though we were in a Disney film where we'd been parted for months and had just completed some kind of incredible journey to be reunited in the final reel.

Josh was "just under a year" the vet guessed when he was rescued. I've had him for 4 months (which I still cant believe its only been 4 months!) so you can work out the maths! I guess he's 1 year and 3 months. Its not so much that he'll go bonkers, its as BLM described... he's just always ready for the craic! He's like that friend of yours who will always say "yeah I'll go" if someone mentions the pub or a club or whatever.

I dont mind it much but I just wondered if other peoples dogs are like this because I would hate to see the energy levels if he didnt get a walk in the day... and I wasnt sure I was playing with him enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

I have been always afraid that Jago could be bored at home.
    He is a very active dog, ok he is 6 months old, and I am working full time.
    So usually he gets his breakfast with me and go out for a walk at lunch time and at 6 in the evening again, usually meeting friends and playing with them.
    Then he is active all the evening, wants to play, goes around the house, trying to find things to destroy :P
    In theweekends I bring him to some beach or park and try to meet people with dogs..
    Ah and we do a bit of training everyday.

But I have seen him a bit "bored", asking me to play, running as crazy alone around the house or things like that.

Now I am fostering a 6 months old female..
    Well she is lazy!!
    Ok they are playing and fighting all the time and they are always together (when I can supervise), but to be honest I am not sure if he is more happy now??
    For sure more tired.. but he cannot access his toys or chews as before..
    Anyway, I am a "single parent" like you said... and with two dogs, especially puppies it's not easy at all!
    (but I love them!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

jsabina wrote: »
    but to be honest I am not sure if he is more happy now??

When I started fostering the smaller fella I used to worry about similar things. Like did Harley feel less loved now (anthropomorphising how are ya!) did he hate when Phoe got attention.

I'm sure at times he did feel a bit put out, like when tiny Phoe would spread himself all over the couch and leave Harley with a little corner etc. They always had a nice relationship, Harley was a little star when Phoe arrived and took him straight under his wing. The longer we have them both, the more their relationship develops. I couldn't part them now. There are definitely some advantages to having a single dog, but the joy they get from each other enriches their lives, and ours.

Please don't worry, dogs are naturally happy creatures, it's probably why we love them so much! I'm sure he's as happy to have a friend as he was before she arrived.

EDIT: I would recommend one on one play time with you for both of them though.

Advertisement