Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, I'm back to getting a dog...

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

scudzilla wrote: »
    Thought about a Boxer Dev??

(And i thought we'd got past the stage of you signing your name to every post :P ;))
    I havent thought about a breed beyond not wanting something huge (for practical purposes) or something handbaggie cos I dont think I would bond with him. Other then that, a loveable mutt is just fine by me :)

Also, it stilllllll feels strange not to sign my posts and sometimes I sign the serious ones about my actual real life with T..... its so weird not to for some reason. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

DeVore wrote: »
    I dunno how long it is from inspection to arrival of my new companion ... .
    Is the home inspection with the organisation i sent you? If so, they're always looking for fosterers, so if you pass it'll be pretty quick as long as you are happy with the dog you pick. Keep an eye on their facebook page as they regularly update the dogs needing foster homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Good luck today DeVore!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

What time is it at? How did it go?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its this evening at 7. To be honest, from what they say, I'm a dream foster home. I work from home so I'm here most days. Have a high walled garden which is big, hard wood floors for cleaning :) , plenty to time to exercise the dog, no kids, dog can sleep inside etc etc. I'll put cash behind toys and bedding and all that, the dog will only suffer from spoiling :)

I didnt realise I'd get to pick the dog, I presumed I'd get whichever dog they needed homed next. That will be nice!

(Anniehoo, yes it is, they've been very efficient and nice).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Lexie_Karas

:D So excited for ya hun (and a little jealous too!). Fostering is really the best way to go about getting a new pet, you end up finding a dog that really suits you and in the mean time you get to help out other dogs that are in need (that's assuming you don't just fall head over heels for the first furry mutt that you foster :P)

Keep us up to date, can't wait to see pics!!

xx

So, slight change of plans... I had planned to foster but the dog I like the look of is in a pound and seems perfect in all other regards so I'm taking a deep breath, and taking the plunge to rehome him tomorrow. Otherwise it isnt clear that this would be the dog I would get and I probably couldn't bring myself to return another dog just because "I didnt like him enough". So, since I mean this to be the real deal, I'm just going to put my best foot forward and hope.

This is my new companion all else being equal.
    558899_10151356014042474_997634355_n.jpg

He looks part Beagle and I dunno what else. I'm guessing a bit over one year old? I go to the pound tomorrow, to bring him home, so... I'm a bit anxious about the new responsibility and the complete unknown I'm getting myself in for but let see how it goes...

Anyone know much about Beagles? How big will he get? (I'm presuming not all that big...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

i've just happended on this thread and read it from start to finish.

Congrats - he looks like a fine fella - his eyes are very kind.

beagles are great, curious and fun - wonder does he do the beagle 'howl'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

He looks like a hunting type beagle, they usually grow to be about knee high, lovely intelligent dogs, but if they catch a scent forget about them caring about you :P A neighbour of mine has one and she is so sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Lexie_Karas

Aw he's gorgeous hun :) Bet you can't wait to bring him home. Does he have a name yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Ooooh... I saw this guy on the rescue's thread. Thought he was lovely - my guess he is a bit older than one but that only me guessing and its hard to guage from one photo. Beagles arent that big a dog - about knee high. Though I suppose it depends on how tall you are :D Good luck with him

No, maybe Caesar, or Chewie (like Chewbacca) but for the moment I'm going to get him home and see how he acts and maybe take a few days to give him a name that fits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Aw hes gorgeous, best of luck and keep us updated!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Ah would ya look at him :o
    I saw him up on the rescue webpage too, he does have a Foxhound-y look to him as well as Beagle, but if he's a year old, he's prety much as tall as he's going to get... the only direction her can grow now is outwards :D
    The very best of luck with him, he's lovely :)

So, he's home now. He was shaking like a leaf in the car on the way home but still was very well behaved. Half way home he decided that instead of completely ignoring me in the backseat with him, he wanted to lick my hands all over and then sniff everything in the car, including under the seats. Then he went very calm and put his head on my lap and after a while took an overwhelming interest in everything going by outside.

So, I've had him home maybe 3 hours now and he doesnt like being left alone so I've moved the computer downstairs to work near him. Of course, now he cant be arsed being near me but if I dare move, he's on me like a shot. Thats ok, I guess he needs reassurance. Wouldnt we all!
    He was pretty damned keen to be out of the kennel so I dont think he particularly gives a monkeys where he is and he seems very happy. He only barks when I leave him alone.

Already he's chewed one door stopper and a fist sized hole in the (quite expensive) blanket I bought him. He also made off with one of my shoes which lead to 10 laps of my kitchen table. I'm tellin' ya, this is tough work! :)

He goes mental every now and then sniffing and running around and chewing things and then seems to absolutely chill the ^$%£ out and just sits at my feet and likes getting rubbed all over. He seems to want to play a game of "get part of Tom's body into my mouth"... its not biting or nipping, but he has gone a bit mental doing it at times. Right now he's lying down peacefully on his blanket, which I have to say is a relief... lol

I'm worried about leaving him alone for the night in the kitchen, I dunno what disaster I'm going to get up to in the morning or if he will settle at all... lets see. This is going to be a bit more work than I expected in terms of time taken up and hopefully he chills out fairly fast because I cant be with him every minute of the day but for the next few weeks I'll be here probably 95% of the time.

Will post pics in a while... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

So, he's home now. He was shaking like a leaf in the car on the way home but still was very well behaved. Half way home he decided that instead of completely ignoring me in the backseat with him, he wanted to lick my hands all over and then sniff everything in the car, including under the seats. Then he went very calm and put his head on my lap and after a while took an overwhelming interest in everything going by outside.

So, I've had him home maybe 3 hours now and he doesnt like being left alone so I've moved the computer downstairs to work near him. Of course, now he cant be arsed being near me but if I dare move, he's on me like a shot. Thats ok, I guess he needs reassurance. Wouldnt we all!
    He was pretty damned keen to be out of the kennel so I dont think he particularly gives a monkeys where he is and he seems very happy. He only barks when I leave him alone.

Already he's chewed one door stopper and a fist sized hole in the (quite expensive) blanket I bought him. He also made off with one of my shoes which lead to 10 laps of my kitchen table. I'm tellin' ya, this is tough work! :)

He goes mental every now and then sniffing and running around and chewing things and then seems to absolutely chill the ^$%£ out and just sits at my feet and likes getting rubbed all over. He seems to want to play a game of "get part of Tom's body into my mouth"... its not biting or nipping, but he has gone a bit mental doing it at times. Right now he's lying down peacefully on his blanket, which I have to say is a relief... lol

I'm worried about leaving him alone for the night in the kitchen, I dunno what disaster I'm going to get up to in the morning or if he will settle at all... lets see. This is going to be a bit more work than I expected in terms of time taken up and hopefully he chills out fairly fast because I cant be with him every minute of the day but for the next few weeks I'll be here probably 95% of the time.

Will post pics in a while... :)

Dont panic - he will settle in a few days i'd say, it's just all very strange for him. Best of luck.

Oh, *HE* seems to be having a ball, its his owner who is nervous :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Have you looked into crate training? It'd certainly do a lot to put your mind at rest at night time especially.

He's a great little lad, fair play to you for taking him :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

So far the name Chewie seems to suit him :D

Hes beautiful. I hope the 2 of you are very happy together :)

Yeah, it would but my friend who helped me enormously today suggested a biblical name so he's been christened Joshua (or Josh). He's apparently selectively deaf too... hmmm :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

He's apparently selectively deaf too... hmmm :)

That would be a beagle trait :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

So, he's home now. He was shaking like a leaf in the car on the way home but still was very well behaved.
    Wow! Congratulations on making the leap and rescuing a pound dog. Scary and exciting stuff i know. Its Day 1...remember that, EVERYTHING is NEW for both of you now ;)
    wrote:
    He only barks when I leave him alone.

Hounds bark, they're "talkers"....generally! But, he's come from an environment where all of his neighbours barked (the pound can be soooo loud). I know you've made a leap of faith and i hope you get on great, but you're genuinely in for a MASSIVE learning curve right now. I'm VERY surprised the forum has been so easygoing on you tbh as i think newbies would've been ignored/shotdown adopting a dog on impulse. :o
    wrote:
    Welcome to the frustratingly brilliant "wreck the head" world of pet ownership. My beautiful cream leather couches that cost a small fortune are now giant scratching posts, i've muddy tail wags on my cream walls & pee stains on my expensive curtains. Does it drive me bananas...YEP, would i change it...NOPE!!!

Best of luck with "Josh"..class name. But,my no.1 tip is stay consistent. He's mega excited to be in a cool gaff....BUT he will run AMOK in no time if you don't set boundaries from day 1.
    wrote:
    This is going to be a bit more work than I expected in terms of time taken up and hopefully he chills out fairly fast because I cant be with him every minute of the day
    No pet owner can be, the same way a parent needs to establish a secure relationship with their child. You are starting at ZERO now. He has NO reason to trust, like or respect you right now.Everything about YOU now needs to be positive, consistent and safe.

Owners make the mistake all the time confusing their wants for their pets wants. "Ohhhh im soooo tired, id love a cuddle"...yet their pet has been bored off their tree all day for 9 hours and going demented. You can't expect a high energy dog to snuggle up on the sofa for 3 hrs in the evening after a waddle around for a few minutes in the back garden during the day.

It's a huge decision....HUGE, and i think you need to take this forum with a "pinch of salt" and don't ask too many questions unless you're really worried.I had a dog for 14 years, i got her by accident, we made it up as we went along, i made so many mistakes i regret...but wouldn't have changed one single thing.

A year and a half of research and discussion is hardly "on impulse" hahah... no I have given this a great deal of thought and preparation.

He absolutely adores me right now... he watches me climb the stairs if I go up for something (I've moved the computer downstairs cos I had work to do tonight and my office was FAR too interesting for him...). When I go up for something he sits by the door and waits for me dutifully... (I know, I watched him through a webcam on the computer... smart little fecker ran to the window to see if I was leaving and when I didnt he returned and sat by the kitchen door... this is a house he has seen the outside of once!).
    He's taken to putting his head on my lap and likes belly rubs, we're getting along famously.

I've just left him in the kitchen for the night, where he was pretty much dozing for the last hour or so, there was 10 seconds of whining when I think he realised I wasnt just gone up for somethin followed by about 3 minutes of "moving stuff around" which i have really had to be determined not to go down and see what he's doing... its all quiet now so I hope he's asleep. I'm jacked after the day I've had so hope he is too!

Day 1 over and it couldn't have gone more swimmingly either... he even seems to be house trained!

Lets see what Day 2 brings because unfortunately I have to leave him for a few hours tomorrow evening, but i'll spend the whole day with him and get back as soon as I can...

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

Theres so much love and support in this thread. Its been beautiful to follow... like a long love story that has a beautiful ending.

maybe its time for me to get a doggie too ?

thank you.. and they very best of luck with your "new love"

So, overnight seems to have gone well... I missed that I had left a box of "stuff" under a side table in the kitchen... Josh didnt miss it though and now I have a floor of shredded cardboard. I don't mind but what worried me is that the things he shredded most were the little boxes around three halogen lightbulbs. He thankfully left the lightbulbs alone (I checked each!). Mind you he did a military job off destroying the boxes into little bits!

Glad to say he's housetrained. Had to clean up last nights mess in the garden though and maaaaan dog poo stinks! I'm feeding him top quality dry food (which he seems to really like) so hopefully the, ahem, consistency improves over time...

He was soooo happy to see me this morning, lots of pats and rubbing himself against my legs. There is still a "settling in" period for me too as I'm quite definitely not a morning person and I like my quiet life but I cant say that wasnt nice.

So, I think today we'll venture for our first, short walk. I'm cautious that as a poundie he might be a bit strange outside but he cant stay couped up here all day (plus I want to get him a few more toys... the crunchy "bone" thing I got him was a big hit for a while but now seems to have been demoted to below chewing the blanket...)

He likes to play tug-o-war with things so maybe I'll get some toy that we can play that with.... as opposed to the cushions on the sofa I tried to rescue yesterday. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

only advice i'd give is, as there are 2 of you to him thats a pack and he will want to be leader, that should be you, so with the likes of tug o' war games make sure you always win and enjoy he'll be your best friend in no time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

He was soooo happy to see me this morning, lots of pats and rubbing himself against my legs. There is still a "settling in" period for me too as I'm quite definitely not a morning person and I like my quiet life but I cant say that wasnt nice.

There is nothing as nice as a happy good morning from your dog, another thing you're sure to notice over time is it is nearly impossible to be annoyed around him. A nice walk with your dog is like therapy.
    So, I think today we'll venture for our first, short walk. I'm cautious that as a poundie he might be a bit strange outside but he cant stay couped up here all day (plus I want to get him a few more toys... the crunchy "bone" thing I got him was a big hit for a while but now seems to have been demoted to below chewing the blanket...)

He wasn't always a poundie so you might be surprised, he could be DYING for a good walk. I know they're not often suggested, but I recommend you get a flexi lead or a long lead so you can give him a bit of freedom without worry. It's far too early to have him offlead yet, but it would be nice to give him a chance to amble a bit. If you decide to get a flexi, mark a spot on it and have that as your walking length, then when you're giving him some more freedom, use a cue word to let him know. It's necessary that you differentiate between "walking" and "freedom time" or you will never teach him to walk on the lead.

It's a good idea to start as you mean to go on with him, so a bit of training would be good and would help to build your bond and his trust in you.

When you say crunchy bone, what do you mean? Is it a cooked bone, rawhide etc? Be really careful what you give him for the first few days or you could be left with some really loose and stinky poos. I personally wouldn't give cooked bones because of the risk or splintering, but then there are people who wouldn't give raw because of the risk of an impacted bowel so do a bit of research and decide yourself.

While you're in the petshop you could pick up a kong, they're so handy. If he's getting dry food then a treat ball too would be great. It will make his meals last longer and stimulate his mind.

Maybe research dominance theory, because, like in the post above, you're likely to get a lot of people trying to make you think your dog is trying to take over which is simply not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

So, overnight seems to have gone well... I missed that I had left a box of "stuff" under a side table in the kitchen... Josh didnt miss it though and now I have a floor of shredded cardboard. I don't mind but what worried me is that the things he shredded most were the little boxes around three halogen lightbulbs. He thankfully left the lightbulbs alone (I checked each!). Mind you he did a military job off destroying the boxes into little bits!

Glad to say he's housetrained. Had to clean up last nights mess in the garden though and maaaaan dog poo stinks! I'm feeding him top quality dry food (which he seems to really like) so hopefully the, ahem, consistency improves over time...

He likes to play tug-o-war with things so maybe I'll get some toy that we can play that with.... as opposed to the cushions on the sofa I tried to rescue yesterday. :)

I would get a crate asap, it can be his space with his bed rather than a prison cell. It will save you from destruction and chewing of unwanted stuff. Today it might be cardboard but tomorrow it might be a table leg or the sofa or worse still something that might harm him (like the lightbulbs) It gives you peace of mind at night or if you have to leave for a few hours that he's safe from harm.

He may not like it at first but leave the gate open so he can pop in and explore at his leisure. Give him a treat every time you're going to bed or leaving him in it and he'll soon associate that when he goes in he gets rewarded. Also if he loves chewing, a kong toy (hard rubber toy that can be stuffed with food) is a great passer of time in a crate for a dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

scary wrote: »
    only advice i'd give is, as there are 2 of you to him thats a pack and he will want to be leader, that should be you, so with the likes of tug o' war games make sure you always win and enjoy he'll be your best friend in no time.

This is a myth! Have fun and play tug as much as you want - its doesn't cause any problems if the dog wins. Watch any agility trials and lots of the dogs are rewarded with a game of tug after their run to stretch out their muscles. Just be careful if you buy a rope/tug with a handle - if the dog shakes it you could end up with a smack of it to your shins!! :p

• Advertisement

So I seem to be psychic because I bought a big Kong for him and some toys (I unavoidably have to go out today for about 7 hours so I'm loading him up with things to play with). We discovered in the pet store today that he's absolutely batsh*t insane for frozen yogurt.

I took him for a walk, perhaps the other way around, but I used a short leather leash for him. I have a retractable one for later but thought it best to keep him on this one first. So me and Inspector Josh from CSI-Wee went for our first walk and he was very well behaved. Sniffed absolutely everything for minutes at a time but was fine and happy with being outside, wanted to investigate everything and was ok with people, even folks in the shop. Took a treat from the shop owner very nicely and generally was in doggie heaven.
    I live facing a main road and in an estate so there are a lot of cars about and I was a little concerned about that but when we came to cross the road he was quite careful and stopped at the kerb.

He seems to eat whenever he feels like it. This is kinda contrary to what I had been told to expect but all the same it seems like so long as he has food in this dish he takes what he wants. While thats very handy for me at the moment, I'm going to start to get him on to timed meals to control what he eats and a bit of structure for his day.

As for the dominance thing, its very clear that he looks to me for leadership. At least as far as it seems to me. He might be a bit "deaf" at times but he does let me dictate what is going on. He doesnt snarl or pull away or "argue" in any way, and I'm not inclined to start letting him. :)

He's extremely affectionate, particularly today, with lots of rubbing himself on me and sitting for rubs. He's clearly still quite puppyish too, while being a young adult he's not quite mature imho.

Two questions:
    1. While we have been playing, he sometimes gets very excited and changes from "the belly rub game" to the "lets get some of Tom's body between my jaws" game. Forearms, shins, boots... its not a bite or a nip, its kinda like "gotcha". I have scolded him and don't encourage it and it stops. No idea why he does it, its probably just "play" in his mind but he gets very eager to do it.

2. He sometimes goes a bit mad licking my hands from top to bottom. started yesterday in the car on the way home and this morning when I came into the kitchen first. But he's done it to a less intense degree at other times...

Right now he's playing with his Kong and he's not at all sure what to make of it. I've got a sort of torpedo thing too for playing "throw and bring back...". he likes the throw bit, he hasnt quite managed to connect it to the "bring back" bit and seems to prefer to do doggie drive-by's with it and loves for me to try to grab him as he passes.

So, lets see how he gets along with the first real time I'm not around and he's awake.

Advertisement