Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, I'm back to getting a dog...

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

seamus wrote: »
    As DBB says, beware of the alpha/dominance stuff. Dogs come from pack animals and still retain most of these behaviours, but not in the same way that your typical pack animals would. It's also worth remembering what being a "leader" means. Alpha/dominance theory spends a lot of energy asserting "dominance" over an animal and giving it commands. When in actual reality if you think about what a "leader" does, they don't dominate - they lead.
    So while pack theory isn't complete nonsense, your dog is looking to you for leadership, not discipline and dominance. In the same way that the best army leaders have the trust and respect of their soldiers, not their fear, your dog will very naturally fall in line once he trusts and respects you.
    +1000. More current research has shown that even "true" pack animals don't do the dominance thing to nearly the same degree as once believed. Wolf "alpha" female and male in a pack are basically the mammy and daddy in the vast majority of cases. The family group is... well a family. The so called "betas" regularly trot ahead of the alphas and the adults will regularly let younger members win at tug of war(they only get into the real pecking order stuff at feeding time). It's more about deference not dominance. Like you noticed DeV he is already starting to see you as "the Da" so you're on a winner :)
    DeVore wrote: »
    I havent let him near other dogs yet so I dunno his interest in them but from what he does to the cushion, I'd say he's looking to "buy them dinner" :)
    FWIW I've only had un neutered males and each one of them went through a phase of *ahem* object onanism to a greater or lesser degree, all around 1 to 18 months and all calmed down on that score after. They're like teenagers so... YMMV of course BTW neutering may stop such behaviour, but not always as one in three neutered males still hump.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

that leads me to another issue... when (if ever) I can let him off the leash in the park.

Now, I'm not planning on that any time soon but here's the things.

1. He goes mad to get at other dogs, even miles away.

2. He doesnt know his way around yet and doesnt respond to his new name.

3. The park is a football field wide and is very very long (3 football fields) and boardered on the right by a stream but on the left by a busy enough road. Josh has shown a lot of smarts around traffic and is shy of it (he doesnt like being near moving cars), but I wouldnt put it past him to run out on the road if there was a dog anywhere near.

4. He's a beagle and I'm told he'll go hunting if I let him...

So, for now, he stays on a leash but maybe somewhere like Malahide Castle would work? (or he could spend forever chasing squirrels!)

Until June when we moved to Trim we used to take Brodi daily to Malahide Castle, it's a great spot for dogs and other dog owners are all pretty cool.

Loads of different fields to play in, best bet is just park in the front car park and arse around in the field with the football posts in, pretty well contained.

Pocketfull of treats for when he comes back and you'll be grand

(Note that there's not many crap bins in Malahide, 1 in main car park but only 1/2 throughout the whole walk)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Wibbs wrote: »
    (they only get into the real pecking order stuff at feeding time).

Even at that, I *think* I read that when there is enough food they eat together and when it is a bit scarce the pups are looked after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet so apologies in advance.

A great mental stimulation game is "hide and seek". I play it with my Akita, and it's really a great way to cement your relationship with each other, getting the dog to listen for more than 2secs as well as training.

I get her to "sit, stay and wait" in a specific place. Then I walk away from her hiding tiny pieces of cracker/dry kibble around the shed. She can see me throughout the whole exercise so she can't cheat and run to the first hiding spot :) I then re-iterate to her that she is to "stay" until I'm back beside her. This is where she tenses until I shout "GO GET IT".

She has to find all the pieces I've hidden. If she looks back at me, I just say "go on, go get it", so she still knows she's missing some. I usually hide 3 pieces at a time. Great way to get her nose working too :)

Akitas generally have a short attention span, so I usually get about 20mins out of it unless I'm using a very palatable treat ;)

When played in the house, I usually get her to wait in the corridor and hide in a room just off it. Since she can't see me I've to continually say "stay" or she'll cheat and pop her head around the corner :rolleyes:

You'll most likely get a much better response out of a Beagle ;)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Wow. What I would get is this:

*Runs towards first treat.* *gets diverted by chew toy (ie: anything that can fit in his mouth)* *pees on something* *rolls in the pee* *ignores me utterly* *invents a new game where I chase him to try and get him back in the house to wash the pee off him* *discovers treat randomly and gobbles it*.

I was pleased today because I got him to sit for a treat. You're dog is on Mastermind in comparison lol...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

lol, I wouldn't call her a mastermind as some days it might take a few tries for her to calm done and sit :)

But it is a great way to get their mind working. Once you've the basics in place it'd be a handy way of tiring them out. Mental stimulation tires a dog out much quicker than physical.

And it's a fun, inexpensive way to work together :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Omg... this dog is going to break my heart (and my bank account)

That was the cushion to replace the blanket....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Omg... this dog is going to break my heart (and my bank account)

That was the cushion to replace the blanket....

A piece of vet bed in a hard plastic bed or crate is the only thing for a chewer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

The only dog a person needs is a Boxer. They make for an amazing furry friend.

As batsh*t insane Joshua is, I dont think I would trade him. He came to my life at a time when we both probably needed rescuing and as hard-work as he is... he's here now and he's endless novelty.

Whats vet-bed? cos whatever it is, he's getting it. :)

Funny, he doesnt chew the legs of chairs, or the piano. Just soft things, or cardboard....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Vetbed is a really dense but very practical bedding material that dogs love. It's incredibly warm and hard wearing- you can machine wash it and trim it to size so it's very versatile :D

I can pretty much guarantee he'll love it- never met a dog that didn't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

We bought Sindy's vet bed 3.5 years ago and it's still going strong, great stuff :-) Have to say I'm loving this story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Vet bed is amazing. Lexi ripped up every bed we got for her and the same with beds we had for years for the other dogs. Have vet bed for more than a year and its brilliant. Well worth the money. Its very dear in the petshops but you should get it cheaper online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Oh what a lovely thread to read! What a brilliant dog owner you are DeVore!! What a beautiful (albeit mischievous) dog - and most of all what a very very lucky dog!!! Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

So, today was a better day in that he was reasonably well behaved (on his scale) and seems to have taken to his new (plastic) bed and even left the old blanket and pillow alone (mostly). A poor "pepperami" tug-o-war toy didnt fair as well but at least he's chewing that and not the piano. :)

I have been walking him into the ground but its me thats exhausted and he's still full of beans (even when his eyes are drooping, he still will go out and play "not bring back".)

What was most amazing today is that I ate in peace. Yesterday I had a friend around and we ate and the dog was mad to be up on the table with paws and nose. Today he tried it on a bit but when I made it clear it was my food.... he just sat there, quiet as you like (and watched every forkful from plate to mouth like it was Wimbledon). I could barely believe it and was amazed. So he got a treat after I finished. :)

There has been a lot less "going mental" when I go upstairs. In fact if he sees that I'm going upstairs he now kinda just wanders off back to what he was doing sometimes. (other times he bounces off the door like a parcour expert).

I played Tug-O-War with him but he definitely got more growly and aggro and while I'm sure its all just play for him, he's only barely more than a puppy and I dunno about encouraging that. Anyway, the toy didnt last 5 seconds with him, so the point is moot.

So, things going well! I'm going to take some photos of him properly tomorrow and see what can be done when I cross my photography skills with his manipulative charms :)

I played Tug-O-War with him but he definitely got more growly and aggro and while I'm sure its all just play for him, he's only barely more than a puppy and I dunno about encouraging that.

Some dogs are very vocal like that when they play - but thats all it is just playing. You should hear the noises my guy and some of his friends make when they're playing lol - plenty of shocked looks from onlookers as they pass lol! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

What was most amazing today is that I ate in peace. ... So he got a treat after I finished. :)
    The only thing I'll say here is make sure the treat isn't given from, or near, the table. You don't want him to associate your meal time with him getting treats.
    Further down the line you'll have him trained (unintentionally) to sit quietly, watching, peering, gazing transfixed, at you eating. All the time anticipating the treat. Thinking about the treat. Dreaming of the treat... ...and what happened Pavlovs dogs? Do you want a drooling dog next to you eating??
    There has been a lot less "going mental" when I go upstairs. In fact if he sees that I'm going upstairs he now kinda just wanders off back to what he was doing sometimes.
    Great news, he's building confidence. He's trusting that you'll come back.
    I played Tug-O-War with him but he definitely got more growly and aggro
    Ah yeah, i encourage it. I growl back :) rarrrr,rarrrr,rarrr - my wife goes mad.
    It's play, but just to be sure introduce a "stop" command. Ever since the start, I used "Calm" to stop the game, and calm her down. Whenever I thought she was getting too into it "calm", and when she calmed, I switched from playing to soft affectionate long pets, with soothing & soft "goooood girl, goooooood girl". At the start I was more timid myself so this was at the first sign of (what I precieved) to be aggression, but if that was a 2/10, I now let her get up to 8or9/10! And as soon as I say "calm!", she settles down.

In fact, thinking back, it's amazing how much I've learned from Chloe in the past two years. I've probably learned more about her, than I've taught her :)
    and while I'm sure its all just play for him, he's only barely more than a puppy and I dunno about encouraging that
    I think you should. He's a dog. Personally I feel I owe it to my dog to play doggy games with her and to encourage her to be a dog (albeit when I've control of the situation - "calm!")
    So, things going well! I'm going to take some photos of him properly tomorrow and see what can be done when I cross my photography skills with his manipulative charms :)
    Great stuff. Remember to take lots of photos and videos - you don't get this time back! And you'll remember it fondly in 3/4 years.

So two steps forward one step back. :/

Despite being absolutely exhausted yesterday evening... when I got up this morning, he was going his usual batsh*t insane self, nothing we wrecked though. I rubbed him lots, took him outside so he could toilet , played a few games and then went upstairs to get myself sorted out and start work. Came down an hour later and he had shreded the cushion (even more than before) and knocked everything off the kitchen ledge. He was distressed and hyper again.

Now, after a morning of "IM BATSH*T BONKERS" he's back in his bed (which he goes to most of the time I do computer work, thankfully), and looks to be resting.

My concern is that I'm running the energy out of him every day, but next morning.... he's bonkers again. I know its only been 6 days and that he probably still has separation anxiety but I just hope thats it... cos he's hard work at the moment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

So two steps forward one step back. :/

Despite being absolutely exhausted yesterday evening... when I got up this morning, he was going his usual batsh*t insane self, nothing we wrecked though. I rubbed him lots, took him outside so he could toilet , played a few games and then went upstairs to get myself sorted out and start work. Came down an hour later and he had shreded the cushion (even more than before) and knocked everything off the kitchen ledge. He was distressed and hyper again.

Now, after a morning of "IM BATSH*T BONKERS" he's back in his bed (which he goes to most of the time I do computer work, thankfully), and looks to be resting.

My concern is that I'm running the energy out of him every day, but next morning.... he's bonkers again. I know its only been 6 days and that he probably still has separation anxiety but I just hope thats it... cos he's hard work at the moment.

Do you feed him in the morning?

If you do, I'd suggest not feeding him normally in a bowl, but rather making up a kong the night before with maybe peanut butter sealing it, put it in the freezer overnight, and then give it to him as "breakfast" when you head up to work.

The whole action of trying to get first the peanut butter and then the food out of the kong is quite mentally stimulating for dogs, and it calms them.

Physical exercise is not necessarily going to tire his brain so maybe a small bit of training as well in the morning after you've let him out had a cuddle etc would also work?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

I would suggest taking him out for a walk in the morning. That's what I do with my fellow otherwise he'd drive me nuts. Feed (him) Coffee (me) Out the door by 7:30, at desk by nine with quiet dog for company. Your dogs seems young, they do rather like plenty of exercise to keep them charming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I highly suggest you get a crate for him and crate train him. This will cut down on the destruction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I have a crate you can have...

Well...actually, you have second dibbs on it. It might have been promised to the sister in law. But it's yours if she doesn't want it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Oh the memories !
    Our first 3 weeks with our dog went from bad to worse to the point where I was in tears. We got someone in... who really trained us rather than the dog and life started to get easier. I remember someone (another boardsie;) ) saying he would predict 6 months to really settle for a dog with issues like she had. That was about right I think.. though 2 years on she certainly aint perfect but she's my lovely flawed dog :)
    I would second having a walk in the morning. Mine gets 3 walks a day... sometimes it's only 3 short (20 minute) walks but if she doesn't get a walk in the morning she's all wound up for the day. After her morning walk she comes in and curls up at my feet while I work.
    I don't know if you're into jogging or running but I also found that a run rather than walk also helps. I don't run fast and there would be lots of breaks but somehow it just works better than a walk and the effect seems to last into the next day too. (nudges self to go for a run... haven't been for weeks :o). Mine doesn't get off lead other than in our own garden so I find that little bit extra is needed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I would suggest taking him out for a walk in the morning. That's what I do with my fellow otherwise he'd drive me nuts. Feed (him) Coffee (me) Out the door by 7:30, at desk by nine with quiet dog for company. Your dogs seems young, they do rather like plenty of exercise to keep them charming.

With hound type dogs, they can have a risk of bloat if they are exercised too soon after feeding though?

Stheno wrote: »
    With hound type dogs, they can have a risk of bloat if they are exercised too soon after feeding though?

+1 make sure you wait an hour at least. I know somebody who lost a dog to bloat a few weeks ago :(

+1 on the crate and kongs too. Once you settle him into a routine he'll relax at a bit more. So you could possibly give him his kong breakfast in the crate while you get up in the morning then out for a quick walk or quick walk then crate & breakfast while you work. Make sure you build up the crate time though - don't just lock him in and hope for the best or he may voice his concerns! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Saw this on facebook and thought of Josh :D:D

30569638884070785933810.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Stheno wrote: »

Good point.

looks rather like my guy.... This is his "Who? Moi??" look...

• Advertisement

He does seem to be relaxing a bit more and certainly the walks help but in the morning its back to Mad Mutt territory... I've only rescued him 6 days now so there is plenty of time and he's actually been very good to be fair, no barking, no poohing everywhere, but still... he's destructive in terms of cardboard and mats etc. Its not that I mind, its that I worry that he's ok...

Advertisement