Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, I'm back to getting a dog...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

DBB wrote: »
    +1

A good kennels will not mix adult dogs together unless they know them very well.
    I'd be more inclined to find a good home pet carer, where you bring your dog to them to live in their house, with their dogs, as an in-house pet dog.
    There are good home pet carers out there, there are even some who post on this forum.

I'd be interested in your opinion on this - do you think it would help the dog be a bit more independent if he went to a kennel, enjoyed himself and learned that he doesn't always need to be with a person to be happy. Or is this putting human thoughts onto the dog?

We work particularly hard with dogs who are anxious alone, I would hope it was doing them some good at home too. (At the very least it makes it easier for them to come back).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Whispered wrote: »

I'd be interested in your opinion on this - do you think it would help the dog be a bit more independent if he went to a kennel, enjoyed himself and learned that he doesn't always need to be with a person to be happy. Or is this putting human thoughts onto the dog?

We work particularly hard with dogs who are anxious alone, I would hope it was doing them some good at home too. (At the very least it makes it easier for them to come back).

No doubt that a good kennels, with knowledgeable staff and good facilities to introduce dogs to one another gradually, can really help an anxious dog come out of his shell. It's not for every dog mind you. However, I know tk123 reports that Bailey really came out of himself in doggy daycare, and there are many other owners whose dogs have really benefited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

No doubt that a good kennels, with knowledgeable staff and good facilities to introduce dogs to one another gradually, can really help an anxious dog come out of his shell. It's not for every dog mind you. However, I know tk123 reports that Bailey really came out of himself in doggy daycare, and there are many other owners whose dogs have really benefited.

I know that Harley and Phoe would not like a daycare type scenario but they both do very well in our local kennels. Mainly because of the routine I think. They know exactly what is going to happen when. The fact they love the guy who runs the kennel helps too. They're always delighted to see him, I'm usually greeted with less enthusiasm when I go to collect them.

My worry with a daycare scenario is that when so many dogs are in together, I'm sure it is hard for each one to get enough attention, so if they're not doing well how quickly is it spotted? I can only imagine the worry parents have sending kids to playschool!

DeVore, with regards to choosing a kennel I'd look for solid walls between runs, it helps keep stress levels down. If a kennel does not allow certain breeds I'd wonder why, not because of the fact I own an RB, but for me it shows a worrying lack of knowledge. I'd want them to welcome visitors any time, preferably with public opening hours so you can just arrive for a look around. A facility where the staff genuinely love dogs is a must (although this can be hard to ensure, I've met people where it was just a job and this showed in their levels of care :mad:). Someone who asks questions about the dogs diet, does he have any fav toys and can you bring them, general "getting to know you" sort of questions. I'd like them to ask about exercise levels too, although I'd imagine most of them would be able to tell within a walk or two how much exercise the dog wants. I'd want them to personally know their vet well and to know exactly who to call in the case of an emergency overnight. They should ask about vaccinations and the dogs health in general. They should have a good knowledge of dogs physically and behaviourally, at least enough to spot if the dog is under the weather. Something like a canine first aid cert would be good as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

However, I know tk123 reports that Bailey really came out of himself in doggy daycare, and there are many other owners whose dogs have really benefited.

Ah he did!! There's a video of him on his first day - OMG i wanted to drive up and get him straight away lol - he was afraid of his life and had no idea what was going on! The third day he went in his tail was wagging in the car and his confidence shot up with other dogs in the park - and he's usually the one who greets other dogs first now - confident and polite instead of crawling over on his tummy or running over like a maniac - although he does have his moments if he REALLY wants to play with another dog and they're not into playing with him - he'll do his best to impress with his play bows lol! It also taught him to tailor how he plays to the type/size of dog - he has a JRT friend and they go mad killing each other but he never hurts him. He wrestles and plays with my friend's pup but is very gentle with him etc He settled at home a LOT as well because he was exhausted from playing all day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC6_gwU_WKQ&lr=1

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

One thing I dont have to worry about is Joshua's confidence with other dogs... man he LOVES other dogs, runs right up to them, gets along great with them, would be gone on a big chase with them if he could! Never starts a fight with them, but the one time a dog did get vicious with him, boy Josh didnt back off... I thought he would be scared or frightened but he went just as mad at this huge big wolf-shaped thing that I had to laugh, I think I need to have a word about relative sizes with him :)

Anyway, its settled as I have found someone professional to take him in and home him with their dogs while I'm away and while I'm sure he will pine for me, I'm also sure he will be just fine. I'm also relieved that I have found a way to still have the odd week abroad and not feel like either I'm dumping on him or he's cramping my travel plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

He'll be good as gold like butter wouldn't melt in his mouth - like all bold kids are when they're being minded by somebody else!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Not too sure about Lissenhall Kennels, until last June when we moved out to Trim we used there vets, and they were amazing (especially Gary) but i've heard lots of not so good things about the kennels.

We used these kennels http://www.hilton5star.com/ , in Clairehall and found them great, Brodi, who can get nervous, absolutely loved going there

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭puppieperson

hi there is a little jack russell on limerick animal welfare site he has been in kennels for 1 year . He was taken out to foster for xmas and had a lovely time the fosterers are gutted that they cant keep him but they gave him a lovely xmas He would be ideal for you young 3yrs and well behaved . Nothing like a jack russell and they can travel any where, small compact and fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭puppieperson

hi ignore my lat post didnt realise you had gotten a dog,just read all the posts . He is not a beagle he is a foxhound, probably left out after a days hunting a young entry who got lost. He should have a tatoo on the inside of his ear if he is from a registered pack. he is well marked and is a modern foxhound, bred for speed and agility, i had one for 14 years they are very demanding and possessive as they are a pack animal and you are his pack. It will be tough for a while but well worth it they have enormous energy as they hunt fo r4-6 hours at a time flat out cross country, so you need to get a bike and eventually go places where he can be off the lead and cycle on . Lovely dog.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Thank you so much, I've been telling people I think he's a foxhound rather than a beagle but everyone else said Beagle. Agility and speed are certainly his fortes, I honestly have never seen anything move like this guy other than a greyhound, or leopard haha... I will check his ears but havent noticed anything before (and I play with his ears a lot, its a game we both like :) )

He's definitely demanding and very possessive. A friend gave me a hug good bye and Josh wasnt happy about that at all!
    I do worry that since I live in the suburbs its not a place for a pack hound but then again my dog-savvy mate says "ask the dog if he would rather be put to sleep or in your house" and I guess he has a point. Ultimately I will move out to a country house I reckon but not for a few years yet :/

• Advertisement

DeVore wrote: »
    Thank you so much, I've been telling people I think he's a foxhound rather than a beagle but everyone else said Beagle.

There were a couple of suggestions much earlier in this thread that suggested there was something else floating about in there other than Beagle! ;)
    I saw him up on the rescue webpage too, he does have a Foxhound-y look to him as well as Beagle,
    He's a beauty Dev. He reminds me of my beagle with his long legs but I think Joshua looks more like a Foxhound to me.

The full-body photos of him strongly suggest he's not all Beagle, although he looks a little small to me to be a full foxhound too. Though I'm no expert in them, maybe he's a small Foxhound?

Great that you got sorted on the dog-sitting front, it is sooo much nicer to be able to go off for a few days away relatively guilt-free, knowing pooch is going to have fun and be well looked after, and maybe even won't want to come home :eek:

How would you feel about taking up some serious dog-knackering-out activities, like
    bikejoring (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bikejoring),
    scootering (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_scootering),
    cani-X (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cani_cross)
    or dryland mushing (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dryland-Mushing/241597595222)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Now comes the tricky part, I have a long weekend away at the end of Feb and I have to kennel him. I *had* thought my family could take him but life with Josh has opened my eyes to how prepared you have to be for this bombshell to land in your life... and my sister's house and family are just not up to it.

So, after some research I'm going with Lissenhall kennels and going to kennel him for 4-5 nights. I'm a bit anxious about that if I'm honest as I don't want him to feel like he's been dumped again but I have a life too and Josh has to fit into it. I just hope he doesnt come back to me the way he was after 5 days in the pound. I think I'll take him down there for a day or two's "day-boarding" to get used to it...
    Taking bets. How many times do we think DeVore will ring home to check how the dog is. Zero, 1-4 times, more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

How would you feel about taking up some serious dog-knackering-out activities, like
    bikejoring (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bikejoring),
    scootering (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_scootering),
    cani-X (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cani_cross)
    or dryland mushing (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dryland-Mushing/241597595222)?

bikejoring, scootering and canicross could be suitable for him, but a lone dog (except a freight breed such as a malamute) shouldn't be pulling a rig. :)

ISDW wrote: »
    bikejoring, scootering and canicross could be suitable for him, but a lone dog (except a freight breed such as a malamute) shouldn't be pulling a rig. :)

Do you not think that DeV might get himself a team of Joshes, no? :p
    But of course, a little dog couldn't pull a rig.. I'll put that suggestion down to a senior moment :o

Jaysis I dunno, I reckon Michellin should investigate his paws, he puts down some serious power through tiny feet!! :)

Apologies, I knew someone had put me onto "foxhound" cos it made me google them and see dogs that look pretty close to him!

I do worry about him while I'm not home but I wouldnt say I would ring from abroad as I cant see what I would be able to do regardless. Maybe text :)

Theres no tattoo or marking on his ears (and he wasnt chipped either, I had him checked), so I dunno anything more about him other than that.

I did think about getting a second "Josh" , but only briefly!! One right now is more than enough.
    I am thinking of getting some tunnels and slalom stuff to run him around in the back as he might get a kick out of it. The local petshop is very expensive for that stuff though. Will look online.

He's getting to a "manageable" stage now I feel. I've learned and he's calmed enough to kinda make this vaguely workable. The walking in the morning is kinda tough on the time schedules but I just have to juggle things better...

Whoever had the 6 week rescue-dog schedule earlier on in this thread, seems to have been pretty spot on... he seems to have stopped jumping up on stuff too (finally!)

(Wait till you see, tomorrow he will be a bloody demon again :):))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Whoever had the 6 week rescue-dog schedule earlier on in this thread, seems to have been pretty spot on...

I think maybe I said 6 months :pac:

Canicrossing really is great for knackering out/ calming down. I don't race or anything... just me and my dawg jogging in the woods :)

I wear my canicross belt even if just hiking in the hills as I can then also have 2 hands free for taking photographs. really handy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

littlebug wrote: »
    I think maybe I said 6 months :pac:

Canicrossing really is great for knackering out/ calming down. I don't race or anything... just me and my dawg jogging in the woods :)

I wear my canicross belt even if just hiking in the hills as I can then also have 2 hands free for taking photographs. really handy.

Twas me who said six iirc :)

That canicross stuff looks fierce athletic.... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Sorry ; just catching up. I looked at Lissen hall last year for my dog & while they were spotless & the lady in charge was v. nice she did confirm that they DoNT walk their dogs - at all . So I'd really look elsewhere. I have a few places I use & mines loves them & they're all about running free & having a ball/good time ball (!) with other dogs ; not locked up in a clean kennel alone : (

Pm me if you're interested ; nothing I haven't stated already here!

What is that cairn cross athletics stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

One thing I dont have to worry about is Joshua's confidence with other dogs... man he LOVES other dogs, runs right up to them, gets along great with them, would be gone on a big chase with them if he could! Never starts a fight with them, but the one time a dog did get vicious with him, boy Josh didnt back off... I thought he would be scared or frightened but he went just as mad at this huge big wolf-shaped thing that I had to laugh, I think I need to have a word about relative sizes with him :)

I'm sure you're well aware, but be careful with this. As the owner of a non dog-friendly dog, having another dog run over and get in mine's space can put me back by a factor of months in getting her used to other dogs. We've gone from 'will try to kill them if she can see them' to 'able to pass on the footpath', but every time a dog gets too close we take a step backward. Not to mention that Josh could get himself hurt, or could hurt another dog, if it got nasty.

Put him on lead when you see another dog coming and ask if it's ok to let them play. The other dog's owner will thank you for it.

• Advertisement

Ah yes, I may have exagerrated the "runs right up to them" thing as I almost never let him off the leash. Partly because his recall is willfully awful (he's come like a rocket if theres a treat but otherwise I can hump off) and partly because he IS so keen and eager to get up close and personal with other dogs. The one time I have seen him with more than one dog on a leash was on Dollymount strand where he ADORED running with the pack (but they couldnt keep up with him so he ended up running in circles. :) ). If I'm walking I'm quite careful that way with him because he will be all over any other dog (with the exception of puppies which he's very very gentle with... so odd to see him adopt the paternal, quiet attitude with them...)
    Thanks for the heads up though, I'll certainly bear it in mind.

Good man yourself.

You'll know what I mean in a while; you'll see some loon of a dog haring it toward you with either stupidity or murder in its eyes, and somewhere off in the distance will be a little speck shouting 'It's ok! He only wants to play!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Devore, just be careful. Not every dog is friendly and likes strange dogs coming into their space. I know if i was walking with my dogs and yours ran up to mine i would not be one bit happy.

I own two rotties and they are always on the lead in public and id be very annoyed if a dog comes running up to mine as they dont appreciate strange dogs coming up to them and both can get very protective so just be respectful of other dogs and owners and dont allow your dog to run up to them as they might not appreciate it and it could get you dog in some bad trouble one day....

What is that cairn cross athletics stuff?

cani cross - canine cross country.

It can be as athletic as you want it to be, some people race, I have friends that do an amazing race in Europe each year, in the French Alps, http://club.quomodo.com/tropheedesmontagnes/accueil.html

lots of people just go out jogging for fun with their dogs, canicross utilises a waist belt, and a bungee lead, attaching to a harness on the dog, not a collar, as the dog runs in front, sometimes helping the human runner, pulling up hills. There is a canicross in Ireland Fb group now, and there are a few local groups being set up, so that people can get out running together. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Canicross-in-Ireland/227215707343812?fref=ts

I'm not athletic enough Devore, so I go out on the bike, or the scooter or rig, still exercise, but not quite as much as canicross. :D Be warned though, it is addictive, you'll have 4 dogs before you know it. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Ah yes, I may have exagerrated the "runs right up to them" thing as I almost never let him off the leash. Partly because his recall is willfully awful (he's come like a rocket if theres a treat but otherwise I can hump off) and partly because he IS so keen and eager to get up close and personal with other dogs. The one time I have seen him with more than one dog on a leash was on Dollymount strand where he ADORED running with the pack (but they couldnt keep up with him so he ended up running in circles. :) ). If I'm walking I'm quite careful that way with him because he will be all over any other dog (with the exception of puppies which he's very very gentle with... so odd to see him adopt the paternal, quiet attitude with them...)
    Thanks for the heads up though, I'll certainly bear it in mind.

You can get long leads (not those flexi-leads) in most petshops/online in 20m, 30m, 40m etc, they're great for practicing recall in a busy area with loads of distractions. Stick him on it and you can throw a ball, run about etc to work him up and then practice recall without worrying he'll leg it off after something or you'll end up having a panic moment/ raising your voice etc. When I'm doing recall I mix the reward between praise, a treat, a high value treat and a toy so they never know which they'll get. Keep it interesting, keep them motivated and be prepared to practice in short sessions over and over and over and over again :D

ISDW: I like to ride a bike a lot, but I've been very wary of trying to use it to get Josh down to St Annes Park from my place. The problem is that its a pretty long walk from my place and then back again and doesnt leave us any time in the park. I'd love to use the bike with him in the estates but I'm concerned about riding with a lead in my hand... seems dangerous. Is there a solution out there? You mentioned you bike with your dog...

Hadook: What I'm finding at the moment is that he is perfectly happy to return to me when he wants to. He's selectively deaf the rest of the time. If I go to walk away, he's on me like a shot.... or if I toss his favourite ball up in the air he'll come back if he sees me doing it. But in terms of me shouting his name and him coming, not a chance! I'm quite careful as a result to only let him off where its quiet and ideally boxed in so that if he runs off on one of his adventures he cant go too far and will see me walking away. I have no problem getting him back on the leash though, which is a plus. Its like everything out there is more interesting then boring old Tom... which in a way I can understand :)

I'll keep at the recall, its slowly sinking in (in that he now recognises his name even if he subsequently ignores it!).

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭nemo32

ISDW: I like to ride a bike a lot, but I've been very wary of trying to use it to get Josh down to St Annes Park from my place. The problem is that its a pretty long walk from my place and then back again and doesnt leave us any time in the park. I'd love to use the bike with him in the estates but I'm concerned about riding with a lead in my hand... seems dangerous. Is there a solution out there? You mentioned you bike with your dog...

Hadook: What I'm finding at the moment is that he is perfectly happy to return to me when he wants to. He's selectively deaf the rest of the time. If I go to walk away, he's on me like a shot.... or if I toss his favourite ball up in the air he'll come back if he sees me doing it. But in terms of me shouting his name and him coming, not a chance! I'm quite careful as a result to only let him off where its quiet and ideally boxed in so that if he runs off on one of his adventures he cant go too far and will see me walking away. I have no problem getting him back on the leash though, which is a plus. Its like everything out there is more interesting then boring old Tom... which in a way I can understand :)

I'll keep at the recall, its slowly sinking in (in that he now recognises his name even if he subsequently ignores it!).

Best thing we learnt at puppy classes was 'look' or 'focus'. My guy looks straight at me when we say look, never looks at me if i call his name. So even from a distance he will turn around and look at me which means i can get his attention with treats or toys and he comes straight back.
    Teach him 'look' by asking him to sit and when he looks at you say look and give him a treat, try that for about a week and then do it around the house when he's distracted at still in eyes view. Give him a high value treat each time. Worked wonders for us because the selective hearing can be frustrating aswell as worrying when outside.
    Best of luck :-)

:D Theres a whole sport called bikejoring, where the dog is attached to the bike via a line. To keep the line away from the front wheel, a bikejoring attachment is usually used, you can get them from a few different places, this is a good one http://www.snowpawstore.com/featured-products/bikejor-converter.html but there are others.

The line from the bike to the dog should have a bungee incorporated, and they should wear a harness, not pull from the neck. Really popular sport, and some of them absolutely fly. Not sure where you live but Tails 'n' Trails have a rally coming up in a couple of weeks, there will be canicross, bikejoring and other dryland mushing disciplines. I'll post on here nearer the time, if you wanted to come and have a look, its great fun, as long as you don't mind getting muddy. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Ha, typical dog - sometimes you have to remind them who pays the bills :) From the sounds of it, he's going to be pretty easy to recall train once he realises that there'll be something in it for him.

The reason I'm suggesting a long lead for recall is that one of the things that's hammered home to us is to make sure you're in complete control of the situation whilst training so the dog can only give the correct response. In the case of recall that's making sure he can't ignore you/ wander off. That doesn't mean that he can't go offlead in a secure park, it just means that when you're doing stays or recall etc he's onlead and easily focused on you. The last thing you want is to be standing there going "Josh, come!" and waving your arms invitingly while he looks at you quizzically from the other side of the park or sniffing off into some bushes blanking you completely.

Remember, training should be done in bursts of a few minutes with a break too, don't let it get boring for either of you. 5-10 minutes twice a day is far better than an hour once a week.

Nemo32's look command is an excellent idea too :)

Advertisement