Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom wifi range?

Options
  • 13-11-2012 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Ive eircom wifi in the house.the modem is a ZyXEL brand.im just wondering what the wifi range should be.the signal strength reduces by 75% if u are more than 15/20 feet away.the modem is located at the front of the house,so the signal is non existent at the back of the house.not been in touch with eircom yet about this.just wanted to see if this is the norm or am i expecting to much? Had upc fibre bb in my last house and u could pick the signal up for about 250 m.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

If it's the black one with antenna I have the same one and the range is limited to inside the house. I have heard it works better when it is not wall mounted and is left on a table or other flat surface, with the antenna pointing straight up instead of horizontal when on the wall. It's a badly designed device in my opinion. I have it hanging on the wall and the eircom logo is upside down and the antenna is on the bottom, since the mounting holes on the back wouldn't work if I had to mount it so the antenna would be on the top of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Super hoop

If it's the black one with antenna I have the same one and the range is limited to inside the house. I have heard it works better when it is not wall mounted and is left on a table or other flat surface, with the antenna pointing straight up instead of horizontal when on the wall. It's a badly designed device in my opinion. I have it hanging on the wall and the eircom logo is upside down and the antenna is on the bottom, since the mounting holes on the back wouldn't work if I had to mount it so the antenna would be on the top of it.

Yep that's the one i have.its just sitting on a table in the sitting room.ariel pointing to the heavens..lol
    Is there anything that can be done to improve the range? Can't use the playstation online in the spare room which is at the back of the house.have u been in touch with eircom about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

There are hundreds of vids on youtube about making a wi-fi extender from all manner of stuff, cardboard, foil, tin cans, hair clips etc.

Don't know if any of them work, but possibly worth a try if you have 30mins to spare some day.

If you ever make one that works, post back and let us know!

There are hundreds of vids on youtube about making a wi-fi extender from all manner of stuff, cardboard, foil, tin cans, hair clips etc.

Don't know if any of them work, but possibly worth a try if you have 30mins to spare some day.
    I wouldn't want to play around with the modem as its eircoms property.just wanted to see if anyone had the same problem.if so what solutions where available

No, the basic idea is that you make something out of foil and place it behind the antenna to "direct the signal"

I don't think it even has to make contact with the modem.

• Advertisement

No, the basic idea is that you make something out of foil and place it behind the antenna to "direct the signal"

I don't think it even has to make contact with the modem.
    Like the foil sheet used to reflect heat from a radiator?

Yeah, pretty much the same principle.
    As I said, it might work or might be pure bull, I honestly don't know.

Just search on youtube for wi-fi range extender and I'm sure you'll see what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

Super hoop wrote: »
    Yep that's the one i have.its just sitting on a table in the sitting room.ariel pointing to the heavens..lol
    Is there anything that can be done to improve the range? Can't use the playstation online in the spare room which is at the back of the house.have u been in touch with eircom about it?

I don't know exactly if there is anything that can help boost the range. I would imagine there must be some sort of booster device with it's own more powerful antenna you could plug into one of the sockets where the phone line goes. I haven't gotten in touch with them about it since I rarely need to use the Wi-fi, but it's a balls if you are outside in the garden and want to check facebook or something. I'd give the youtube thing a try. I always blamed the low range on the fact it's probably a budget device that's primarily set up for a wired connection. You could try buying a long length of ethernet cable and connecting the Playstation up directly.

What about those ethernet extender things that plug into the mains?

Like these?

• Advertisement

Like these?
    That looks like the job alight

I don't know exactly if there is anything that can help boost the range. I would imagine there must be some sort of booster device with it's own more powerful antenna you could plug into one of the sockets where the phone line goes. I haven't gotten in touch with them about it since I rarely need to use the Wi-fi, but it's a balls if you are outside in the garden and want to check facebook or something. I'd give the youtube thing a try. I always blamed the low range on the fact it's probably a budget device that's primarily set up for a wired connection. You could try buying a long length of ethernet cable and connecting the Playstation up directly.
    Playstation is at the furthest point from the modem.so an Ethernet cable ain't an option.might call eircom about it.i wonder if there is a better modem that eircom could supply.feel that the signal should reach the 4 corners of my house.phone signal is bad where i live so eircom is my only option for internet.

Advertisement