Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Something eating all my data

• 13-11-2012 5:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭

Hi

I have an iphone 3 and it is giving me a problem. In that one day it used up my 750mb of data which is more that I would use in a month.

Thanks to O2 I can see the day the data was used but not the time, so I have no idea what my phone was doing.

Is there anyway of finding out what used the data on my phone, so I can delete the app & stop it happen again?

Thanks,
    Sean

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

swanvill wrote: »
    Hi

I have an iphone 3 and it is giving me a problem. In that one day it used up my 750mb of data which is more that I would use in a month.

Thanks to O2 I can see the day the data was used but not the time, so I have no idea what my phone was doing.

Is there anyway of finding out what used the data on my phone, so I can delete the app & stop it happen again?

Thanks,
    Sean

Looks like you have an app running in the background. Still it shouldn't use up that amount of data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I don't think so ... but for that quantity it must have been streaming music or video imho ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I went waaaay over my allowance last month.

Not quite sure where it all came from but I suspect I was listening to bits of podcasts which were getting downloaded in full by the app. So every time I listened to 10 mins of a podcast I found on 3G, the whole thing got downloaded in the background.

Do this 10 times and your allowance dwindles pretty quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

I bought a vodafone sim with 10 euro credit saturday to enable me use the phone in ireland (working abroad) - it was connected to wifi since then - it actually never left the house. Didnt make any calls - just checked email/facebook. Went to make a call today whilst travelling and all the credit was gone! Very annoyed and no idea how.....Have I missed a setting somewhere? I thought when it was on wifi it wasnt using credit? Am I missing something really obvious? Between this, a loose/clicky screen and the battery percentage rolling down like a timer everytime I as much as pick up the phone (even though Ive turned alost everything off - I think!), I am very unimpressed overall so far.

Did you have Data Roaming left on?

When you weren't on wifi there must have been apps pushing/pulling data around in the background. Email still on? What do have set to appear in notifications?

What does VF charge per day/MB when just using a PAYG sim? A lot I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

avalon68 wrote: »
    I bought a vodafone sim with 10 euro credit saturday to enable me use the phone in ireland (working abroad) - it was connected to wifi since then - it actually never left the house. Didnt make any calls - just checked email/facebook. Went to make a call today whilst travelling and all the credit was gone! Very annoyed and no idea how.....Have I missed a setting somewhere? I thought when it was on wifi it wasnt using credit? Am I missing something really obvious? Between this, a loose/clicky screen and the battery percentage rolling down like a timer everytime I as much as pick up the phone (even though Ive turned alost everything off - I think!), I am very unimpressed overall so far.

WiFi turns off when the phone screen is off, if you have Mobile Data enabled then it will use this while wifi is sleeping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Sarn

Kensington wrote: »
    WiFi turns off when the phone screen is off, if you have Mobile Data enabled then it will use this while wifi is sleeping.

Not always the case. I stream radio using wifi only and when the screen turns off it keeps going. Although saying that I would have mobile data disabled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

Kensington wrote: »

Darn it....that was probably it. it looks for email every hour.....seems a lot to charge for a few emails. the weather thing is in the notification center, and I removed the stocks one. Is there a way to set it up so that it stays on wifi and doesnt go back to 3g other than turning off 3g? it could get fairly annoying to have to keep turning it on and off all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Checking for emails every hour would orob only use a mb at most every time. It has to be something else and turning off 3G only disables the 3G. Data will still work on Edge or GPRS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Download the Onavo Count app. It will keep track of what apps are using what amount of data over a period of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

ArthurG wrote: »
    Mutherf*ckers!

That explains my 3GB usage in 5 weeks. I figured it had to be that stupid app.
    Dades wrote: »
    Not quite sure where it all came from but I suspect I was listening to bits of podcasts which were getting downloaded in full by the app. So every time I listened to 10 mins of a podcast I found on 3G, the whole thing got downloaded in the background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I've noticed since iOS 6, I've gone over my data allowance three times in three months. I find that a bit odd, since I don't really do anything data-heavy outside of wifi - mostly just browsing boards and Facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I have my 5 about three weeks and my cellular usage is 23.1Mb sent, 24.1mb received. I turn off apps regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭martin_g

Hi Guys

just wondering is anyone else having this kind of problem? I have a iphone 5 and over the last 5 days it has used 195mb data, i normally only use about 231mb data a month and am connected to wifi most of the time so i am very puzzeled how i have used so much data? Something is not right here, i am using ios 6 software version 6.1 beta 2, just wondering if anyone else is having this kind of problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭zega

Happened to my brother,he rang up vodafone and ate the bollox off them.Its a fault their end,ring ur carrier asap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

I've been having this problem on Meteor. I think it may be an iOS 6.x issue.

Thread about it here. I used 3 gigs in about 5 weeks (about 3 or 4 times my usual requirement).
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056806265
    zega wrote: »
    Happened to my brother,he rang up vodafone and ate the bollox off them.Its a fault their end,ring ur carrier asap
    Don't think so.

Vodafone were able to pinpoint the days I was using it. I suspect my problem was the Podcast app issue. I'd been using the bejesus out of it and it was obviously munching it's way through data because it was borked.

Have since installed the "Onavo" and "Data Usage" apps to monitor the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Threads merged.

Onavo was stopping me from sending MMS messages so had to uninstall it. going to monitor situation Vodafone saying its Icloud but icloud only uses wifi to back up.

• Advertisement

martin_g wrote: »
    Onavo was stopping me from sending MMS messages so had to uninstall it.
    Weird.

Have you used the podcast app? TuneIn Radio?

What apps do you most use that require data?

I have the podcast app but dont use it, i use twitter, facebook, emails mainly. Avg download a month 230 mb so somethings up

I was surprised at how hungry Facebook was when I started getting usage reports.

There's a lot of images downloaded on a long scroll through your homepage. A surprising amount of data could be used if you were prone to popping your iPhone out every time you found yourself waiting for a lift, bus, queue etc.

Advertisement